onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

loans gone back Stobbs,Pyke,Denton

osprey

Next in line to be shipped out in whatever way possible will be from…

Hornby

Wilson

de Freitas

Middleton

Forrester

Add to that Yates and Knops who won’t play for us again, as well as the youth teamers, we only have a squad of 20.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Yates will be given another 2 year contract at the end of the season as he won't have played for pretty much 2 years so it's only fair that he has that opportunity

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Advert

very good prospect is Denton, a young lad who moved to another area into originally a team in chaos and dis-organised and then played in an alien postion in which he did really well especially under the massive pressure for team points.

He will settle and improve and his experience will add to the player he will become as he goes back more knowledgeable and wiser about the professional game I wish him well and can see him competing in the championship one day.

Thanks Tyler for your contribution

Next in line to be shipped out in whatever way possible will be from…

Hornby

Wilson

de Freitas

Middleton

Forrester

Add to that Yates and Knops who won’t play for us again, as well as the youth teamers, we only have a squad of 20.

I’d agree with those players and also that Yates and Knopps may not play for us again. Although I disagree on the young players, we could have the next Gibbo, Smith or Boot in there.

Midtylland are a very interesting example due to their 'moneyball' approach utilised by Matthew Benham, their owner and owner of Brentford.

Relative to their income, wage expenditure etc both Brentford and Midtjylland vastly outperform the others in their division.

Statistics in football (with things like xG) seem to be becoming more and more popular, and with the new Barnsley takeover featuring the man behind Moneyball, Billy Beane, it will be interesting to see what approach we take this January and in the summer, as finding, scouting, and signing players has vastly changed since Rudge's days.

You may well be right that “things have changed” since Rudge’s previous days, but is it for the better ? To me, it’s just a lazymans approach to scouting. Obe story I always relay is that when Bob Paisley went to watch a player he had been told about, he deliberately did not get a programme so as he didn’t know who the player was who he was supposed to be watching, so as this did not influence his opinion. Also I remember a story when the Leeds manager at the time (who’s name escapes me) went to watch a reccomended player, but saw Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and signed him instead ! So the old system does work, if you work at it. Sadly very few modern day managers do.

I’d agree with those players and also that Yates and Knopps may not play for us again. Although I disagree on the young players, we could have the next Gibbo, Smith or Boot in there.

I’m not saying that the young lads won’t come good given time, but for the rest of this season alone, we are not going to see Slinn, Walford, Calveley or Dennis playing a part. So it leaves us with 20 players including Whitfield

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Unlike the others, Denton offered something and Aspo often had him jn the squad so rated him to an extent. Much more so than some of "our" players. Maybe his club were not happy at his lack of game time? In a perfect world of unlimited budget I'd have kept him. But in the real world maybe this is for the best.

Good luck to you Tyler for the future.

Denton’s gone back for family reasons, nowt to do with vale wanting to offload him.

You may well be right that “things have changed” since Rudge’s previous days, but is it for the better ? To me, it’s just a lazymans approach to scouting. Obe story I always relay is that when Bob Paisley went to watch a player he had been told about, he deliberately did not get a programme so as he didn’t know who the player was who he was supposed to be watching, so as this did not influence his opinion. Also I remember a story when the Leeds manager at the time (who’s name escapes me) went to watch a reccomended player, but saw Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and signed him instead ! So the old system does work, if you work at it. Sadly very few modern day managers do.

Totally agree! If Benhams 'moneyball' programme actually worked, Brentford and Midtjylland would be winning the Prem every season, and be selling players for fortunes every year. I can only speak about Midtjylland, but I tell you; they've had their fair share of 'swing and a miss' players, since Benham took over! For Gods sake; they signed Rafael van der Vaart last season. I don't think he has spend so much time watching football in the stands, EVER!

Yes they do have the odd gem, but no more than say Brondby or Nordsjælland.

For instance I'm watching Andreas Christensen for Chelsea right now. He's gone through the ranks at Brondby, from he was 8 years old...

So to me, it's all a lot of marketing hokus pokus, to stand out and seem brilliant. Isn't it Southampton who has their own 'black box' system? And look where that has got them this season...

So I totally agree, having scouted a lot of youth players myself, that when push comes to shove, it's all about gut feeling.

You mention tongue and Barnett as though they are key players. We could have brought in better. Gunning was solid but an average league 2 defender. You give brown too much credit for the miracles aspin is producing.

Andy, I said MB signed some good Lge 2 players and mentioned Tonge and Barnet in a list who've played a part in Vale's revival. Vale can always sign better players in theory but there's much that goes on in this transfer malarky that we fans don't know about.

I gave MB credit for having a plan and signing some good Lge 2 players, nothing more and nothing less.

That's because I'm pretty sure Paul was a Michael Brown fan, and if it was down to him (thank God it's not!) he would probably still be managing our club, and everything would be completely t*** up!

I was a fan of MB as a player and thought he had the stuff to make a decent manager but something was obviously not working at Vale. My view was Vale should have a replecement lined up to take over by the end of November if no improvement was seen, the button was pushed mid/end Sept?

I was a fan of MB as a player and thought he had the stuff to make a decent manager but something was obviously not working at Vale. My view was Vale should have a replecement lined up to take over by the end of November if no improvement was seen, the button was pushed mid/end Sept?
Another 2 months with Clown in charge and not even aspo could have saved us. Makes me shudder just thinking about it

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Baldrick Brown signed 19 players so even he may have been lucky enough to manage to find a couple of decent players.He was obsessed with wingers and centre backs with no idea how to construct a decent team.It has now been proved what a wally he was because Aspin has organised and motivated his players into a winning team .

EM, add Joe Davis to the list of players I quoted and that makes 11 players, a few more than a couple. MB had to sign so many players to repair the utter carnage caused by Smurf and Bruno, not forgetting the players who wanted out of VP in Jan and June 2017.

I am sure Brown picked his team out of a hat prior to the game and the only tactic he used was make us hard to beat but not score.Denton wasn't getting regular football at Vale so obviously didn't want to stay.Stobbs and Pyke never featured in the squad so we're surplus to requirements.This gives Aspin chance to bring more players in on loan to strengthen the team if required. All we need to do now is get Forrester and Wilson to sign for another club(Forest Green seem desperate to sign 6 players so might be tempted).

It's fair to say MB couldn't/didn't get the best out of the players he had even though he played the same/similar system to Aspo. There's many moving parts in a football managers job which for whatever reason MB didn't get right.

I'm surprised Pyke and Stobbs didn't make an impact at Vale, Pyke came with a big reputation but didn't impress on the field, Stobbs looked good the few brief cameo's he had in the first team, perhaps it was not the right time to be at Vale for both.

I hope we can hang onto the bulk of the first team squad who've been performing so well recently and in addition make a few quality signings but as other people have pointed out the Jan transfer window is a difficult time to get the right players in.

The job still isn't done yet, far from it but my wish for the future at Vale Park is for much more stability in the managerial and playing staff than recently.

Archived