onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

loans gone back Stobbs,Pyke,Denton

osprey

Advert

When Aspo first came he subbed Denton a couple of times after 45 mins i seem to recall. Morecambe he definitely did. Seemed ok performance to me but Aspo knows more than me !!

Has had a few nice cameo roles lately, setting up the goal at Colchester.

If it is for personal reasons fair enough.

As well as Pugh has done recently we are now crying out for a left back with Denton and Gunning gone and of course Yates injured.

Is Aspo likely to trust Kelly yet, he may surprise us as he has recently made the squad.

Whatever the outcome i now TRUST our manager whereas pre-October it was names in a hat job.

Also for what it is worth Montano can offer something and is better than we have seen, i hope for a good second half of the season from him.

I agree with this. If Aspo was content to give Gibbons a chance (unlike Brown who refused to pick him), then I could well see Kelly making the squad shortly. I seem to remember the manager of the club where Kelly went on loan saying he was good in both defence and attack. So it wouldn't surprise me if Aspo is slowly but surely preparing him for the regular left back spot.

To give you a an idea about how scouting works nowadays;

Two years ago, I coached the son of the chief scout of FC Midtjylland here in Denmark. So I asked him, how on earth they found a striker in Hungary or a winger in Lithuania. So he told me, 90% was done by computer. They have 2 programmes they use. One called Wyscout (where Vale is on as well), and one I can't remember the name of. So they entered data on the type they were looking for ie. good headgame, left footed, good crosses and put in Europe as target. So the computer game them clips on perhaps 100 players. Then they narrowed and narrowed the searches, until they end up with 3 to 5 players. And first then, they actually travel to watch those players.

So I would believe, that is the same way UK clubs are scouting these days.

I know for a fact Vale are on Wyscout, and so are almost every other UK club. So when we get offered a U21 player from Leeds, go on Wyscout, search his name, and I guarantee you, there are 50 clips of him on there!

Sorry to say, but that's the way it works these days... And that's why Rudge never sees other managers at game, he is an oldschool gem!

So we have a choice......

John Rudge with years of that special something or a computer generated top ten.

A computer is only as good as the information fed in and cannot make a “gut feeling”

I know what my money would be on.

👑 🤴 👑

Unlike the others, Denton offered something and Aspo often had him jn the squad so rated him to an extent. Much more so than some of "our" players. Maybe his club were not happy at his lack of game time? In a perfect world of unlimited budget I'd have kept him. But in the real world maybe this is for the best.

Good luck to you Tyler for the future.

John Rudge with years of that special something or a computer generated top ten.

A computer is only as good as the information fed in and cannot make a “gut feeling”

In the case of Mr Brown it was definitely a case of Computer says NO !!!

I agree with this. If Aspo was content to give Gibbons a chance (unlike Brown who refused to pick him), then I could well see Kelly making the squad shortly. I seem to remember the manager of the club where Kelly went on loan saying he was good in both defence and attack. So it wouldn't surprise me if Aspo is slowly but surely preparing him for the regular left back spot.

Yes, it was Bradford PA.

They were very pleased with his performances.

It would be great to see him break into the team.

We have a very young defence, with the exception of Pugh.

Well, and Kay and Tonge if classed as defenders.....

Easy to forget this.

Unlike the others, Denton offered something and Aspo often had him jn the squad so rated him to an extent. Much more so than some of "our" players. Maybe his club were not happy at his lack of game time? In a perfect world of unlimited budget I'd have kept him. But in the real world maybe this is for the best.

Good luck to you Tyler for the future.

Thought he was useful, but Leeds say recalled "for family reasons^. He is going into their squad where their left back on loan from ManU is under performing and some fans want Denton to play. No doubt there will be a few twists and turns in January.

👑 🤴 👑

Very interesting discussion around the computer analysis behind the signing of players, and the absence of managers to watch games. Those new methods would go some way to explain why lower ranked players are not picked up by big teams. The computer database would simply not include them.

Back in the day there were some real gems picked out of non league who went to the top tier clubs, let alone clubs at Vale's level. How about Cyrille Regis, Garry Birtles, Alan Devonshire, who all went from non-league to the top level, and then went on to play for England. No computer analysis would ever give you those names, so hence why so few lower level players are making it to the big time.

I am not a Luddite, and welcome the benefits that technology can bring, however, there has to be room for people to operate in the way that John Rudge does, especially if that way or working is also linked in to modern methods.

Can he find us another Andy Jones or Ian Taylor. I would would not bet against that happening.

I have a different view.

With the players he recruited it was clear what MB's tactics were going to be to get out of Lge2, one or two big guys up front, wingers to provide crosses, solid two in midfield and a few big guys around for the physical battles in Lge 2. Similar tactics used by Micky Adams.

Not all MB's signings worked out, the goal keeping situation in particular, but I bet there has never been a manager in the history of football who can claim a 100% success rate with players, not even Brian Clough or Alex Ferguson.

I'll get me tin hat but MB signed Tom Pope, Whitfield, Kay, Harness, Anderson, Barnett, Worrall, Gunning, Tonge and Pugh who've all played a part in Vale's revival.

MB did have a plan and signed some good players for Lge 2 but for some reason he couldn't get the right players in the right places, he couldn't get them to gel, he couldn't get the chemistry right. Thankfully for Vale it looks like we now have the management team in place to do all the above.

Baldrick Brown signed 19 players so even he may have been lucky enough to manage to find a couple of decent players.He was obsessed with wingers and centre backs with no idea how to construct a decent team.It has now been proved what a wally he was because Aspin has organised and motivated his players into a winning team .I am sure Brown picked his team out of a hat prior to the game and the only tactic he used was make us hard to beat but not score.Denton wasn't getting regular football at Vale so obviously didn't want to stay.Stobbs and Pyke never featured in the squad so we're surplus to requirements.This gives Aspin chance to bring more players in on loan to strengthen the team if required. All we need to do now is get Forrester and Wilson to sign for another club(Forest Green seem desperate to sign 6 players so might be tempted).

Baldrick Brown signed 19 players so even he may have been lucky enough to manage to find a couple of decent players.He was obsessed with wingers and centre backs with no idea how to construct a decent team.It has now been proved what a wally he was because Aspin has organised and motivated his players into a winning team .I am sure Brown picked his team out of a hat prior to the game and the only tactic he used was make us hard to beat but not score.Denton wasn't getting regular football at Vale so obviously didn't want to stay.Stobbs and Pyke never featured in the squad so we're surplus to requirements.This gives Aspin chance to bring more players in on loan to strengthen the team if required. All we need to do now is get Forrester and Wilson to sign for another club(Forest Green seem desperate to sign 6 players so might be tempted).

Their site states Forest Greens ambition, is to be in the Championship within 5 years. So they might be looking for more than 6...

Very interesting about the database that picks players out.

Funny that Micky Adams mentions in his book about how he used to spend a lot of his time (especially very early in his coaching career) actually going and watching players. I’m sure he says that you don’t see it as much now.

I have a different view.

With the players he recruited it was clear what MB's tactics were going to be to get out of Lge2, one or two big guys up front, wingers to provide crosses, solid two in midfield and a few big guys around for the physical battles in Lge 2. Similar tactics used by Micky Adams.

Not all MB's signings worked out, the goal keeping situation in particular, but I bet there has never been a manager in the history of football who can claim a 100% success rate with players, not even Brian Clough or Alex Ferguson.

I'll get me tin hat but MB signed Tom Pope, Whitfield, Kay, Harness, Anderson, Barnett, Worrall, Gunning, Tonge and Pugh who've all played a part in Vale's revival.

MB did have a plan and signed some good players for Lge 2 but for some reason he couldn't get the right players in the right places, he couldn't get them to gel, he couldn't get the chemistry right. Thankfully for Vale it looks like we now have the management team in place to do all the above.

Correct analysis on the players recruited but MB is and never will be a manager as long as he has a hole in his a@se!!!

He doesn’t know a players capabilities his strategies were garbage and he couldn’t motivate either. No credit from me to him whatsoever he nearly had us down and out

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Next in line to be shipped out in whatever way possible will be from…

Hornby

Wilson

de Freitas

Middleton

Forrester

Add to that Yates and Knops who won’t play for us again, as well as the youth teamers, we only have a squad of 20.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Archived