onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The OVF January Transfer Window thread

robf

It is quite frustrating arguing with people who think I think Gunning is one of the greatest left backs in Vale history (and should be leading FGR to the title), and not just the steady left back we sorely lack and haven't replaced.

Think they are the exception but I agree,, we need to keep whats good lose whats not ,,aspin thinks he has got his defence sorted which was doing exceptionally well especially over xmas dec period, think right bank that look at other probs in the team and improve but that work has had to be ripped up and start again..all this whilst trying to win games which has been proven to be difficult since...some people don't understand football mate

Advert

The point is nothing primarily to do with Gunning as a player - it's about the timing, manner, and impact of his departure which unsettled a winning side. Aspo didn't want it, didn't ask for it, and thought Gunning shouldn't have been allowed to go. He will sort it but it was one more unnecessary problem wholly due to the dysfunctional way the club is run from the top, with little understanding of football and the footballing priorities necessary for a winning side (like player morale).

Water under the bridge now but the whole saga was entirely avoidable and would have saved us a few valuable points. We move on.

bang on

The point is nothing primarily to do with Gunning as a player - it's about the timing, manner, and impact of his departure which unsettled a winning side. Aspo didn't want it, didn't ask for it, and thought Gunning shouldn't have been allowed to go. He will sort it but it was one more unnecessary problem wholly due to the dysfunctional way the club is run from the top, with little understanding of football and the footballing priorities necessary for a winning side (like player morale).

Water under the bridge now but the whole saga was entirely avoidable and would have saved us a few valuable points. We move on.

Thought morale was one of the reasons Garlick stated they chose not to match the deal as it would unsettle other players

It is quite frustrating arguing with people who think I think Gunning is one of the greatest left backs in Vale history (and should be leading FGR to the title), and not just the steady left back we sorely lack and haven't replaced.

But equally as frustrating as those people who think that others believe we wouldn’t have rather kept him until the summer, instead of not wanting us to pay silly money and longer contracts for an average league 2 player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thought morale was one of the reasons Garlick stated they chose not to match the deal as it would unsettle other players

wont go over and over the subject....as depends on spending power which we know fgr offered more us less or was it terms...some people don't see the frustration of other fans who know that we need a settled team more so for the run in..

hopefully results show going forward we can obtain the momentum/organisation/moralle we had end of last year.

But equally as frustrating as those people who think that others believe we wouldn’t have rather kept him until the summer, instead of not wanting us to pay silly money and longer contracts for an average league 2 player.

Spot on Andy

What was the silly money no-one knows as garlick hasn't revealed -so we don't know the benchmark--no one seems to mind pope probably being the main earner--personally I think it was a kop out

To be honest, I think it was more about money, or the lack of it. I don't think it would have affected morale if it had been handled properly but we'll never know. What we do know is that from the day he left until now the team hasn't been the same and we haven't won since. We also have a disgruntled manager who's had to pick up the pieces. It just looked to me like another poor strategic decision, badly taken for the wrong reasons.

What was the silly money no-one knows as garlick hasn't revealed -so we don't know the benchmark--no one seems to mind pope probably being the main earner--personally I think it was a kop out

However isn’t it possible that it was due to the length of the contract on offer? Whatever reason it was so obvious that we have no left backs so I was hoping that there were alternatives in the pipeline but at the moment that seems not to be the case on my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

However isn’t it possible that it was due to the length of the contract on offer? Whatever reason it was so obvious that we have no left backs so I was hoping that there were alternatives in the pipeline but at the moment that seems not to be the case on my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Think that's the frustration we all share and the common ground for us all in the gg debate just some see it differently than others- it does seem obvious the decision makers at the club don't want to payout over the summer when there is no income hence loans and short term contracts meaning more upheaval again for the 3rd season running ..its getting tiresome for all as we are always trying to cling on making life hard for ourselves

And nor should he reveal it! He has indicated that whilst we could match it and it was over the odds/likely to cause disharmony and do increased demands from others.

Yes Aspo wanted him short term, but has not said that he wanted him long term. If he didn't then why get tied into a longer term deal?

As you say we don't know the terms of the deal, but Garlick did and hence the reasons for not matching this.

We did well with Gav in the team in mid/late December, and not do well end Nov/early December when he was also a regular. That's football, you don't win them all. We may have done no better with Gav in the team in January, we can only speculate.

Would I have preferred him to stay? Yes.

Am I devastated he has gone? No

Time will tell if the replacements do as well, but don't forget we are 7 points and 15 goals better off than Forest Green, and I believe we have more than enough to stay up.

Neil and Sir John will then have a cleaner canvass to shape a competitive team for next year

Are you saying gunning was more important to the team than pope? Because this is getting silly now.

Archived