onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The OVF January Transfer Window thread

robf

Probably been said many times before. In spite of the very large squad, we have a small percentage who make a contribution.

Two of that small number, Gunning and Denton, have gone.

The percentage is even lower.

Anderson's injury further reduces the number.

My concern is for us to have enough contributing players to get us over the line this season.

As it stands, I think we are too light and need 2 or 3 to come in.

Advert

I agree, although I'm a little worried we're only going to sign non-league players. League experience shouldn't be underestimated in our current predicament.

Shopping list:

GK

LB

CB

I think at this stage of the season we need to be bringing in players with as much league experience as possible.

I don't think it's worth the gamble of bringing in non league players. Let's wait for the start of next season and bring a few in then.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Pugh is a better left back than Gunning and a better left back than he is a midfielder at this stage. Kelly may not be giving people the dopamine hit of being a new siging but his introduction to the matchday squad every bit as interesting as Dior and Regis. I’m not yet convinced by Davis but we haven’t exactly been shipping loads of goals since his introduction and Anderson will be back soon. The FGRs and Chesterfields of this world have to take a level of risk in the January window that frankly, I don’t think we need to, plus we’ve got a bloated squad. Losing two on the spin is a wake up call but there’s sufficient quality in the present squad to do some calm business in the summer rather than panic now.

We lost to notts Co by a dubious penalty decision and beaten at fgr by a world of a strike could so easily have been two draws

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Probably been said many times before. In spite of the very large squad, we have a small percentage who make a contribution.

Two of that small number, Gunning and Denton, have gone.

The percentage is even lower.

Anderson's injury further reduces the number.

My concern is for us to have enough contributing players to get us over the line this season.

As it stands, I think we are too light and need 2 or 3 to come in.

Absolutely and there are plenty in non league (national league)who could step up so doesn't matter where they come from...

I agree, although I'm a little worried we're only going to sign non-league players. League experience shouldn't be underestimated in our current predicament.

Shopping list:

GK

LB

CB

Do you really think it would be a good idea to use what looks like being minimal and scriping funds on a new untried (by us) goalkeeper ?

We have had about 9 or 10 in a year or so, and just as we find an improving, enthusiastic and more than competant young home-grown keeper who gels with his defence - is it a good idea to bring in another one, possibly at the expense of another area of the team that needs improvement much more.

Ryan Boot has conceded just 4 goals in the last 7 league games, including games against a number of the top teams. He is proving his worth and that should not be risked by bringing in another keeper when I think we all know that it wouldn't be Joe Hart or someone similar.

I agree that outfield players coming in should have decent league experience, but unfortunately I am not the one providing the funds so we will have to wait and see who arrives at the club.

I keep noticing Regis being mentioned. We don't really know much about him. He may come in and do a job. He might be off the pace/ need time to develop.

He might not be the answer now.

I do believe we need 2 or 3 additions who can make an immediate contribution.

The next few weeks will determine whether we have a comfortable end of season or another scary one.

Aspo has got the maximum out of this group of players so far.

To continue at that level is a big ask over a longer period.

I keep noticing Regis being mentioned. We don't really know much about him. He may come in and do a job. He might be off the pace/ need time to develop.

He might not be the answer now.

I do believe we need 2 or 3 additions who can make an immediate contribution.

The next few weeks will determine whether we have a comfortable end of season or another scary one.

Aspo has got the maximum out of this group of players so far.

To continue at that level is a big ask over a longer period.

When Regis played in that Crewe cup game last year he looked like a midfielder who would break the lines and get forward, however understandably he looked knackered as the game wore on. You may find with him that he takes a little while to get used to league football as hes played very few (if any) league games and it is a step up from non league. I thought the same was true of Angus at the weekend too, even in the short while he played you can see that little bit of rawness he has from not playing league football before.

I'd be real careful about getting over excited regarding Chris Regis, hopefully he'll be the next Ian Taylor BUT he has very little track record and the main plus point he has is being scouted by Rudgey when he was on trial at Bolton. If he proves to be up to L2 standard (or above), fantastic but at this point in time that's a total unknown.

Aspo needs some proven players in key areas such as centre mid and up front, as well as a replacement for Gunning to give strength and cover in defence. He also must be desperate to offload players who are never going to cut it, such as, unfortunately, ADF, and the likes of Wilson and Middleton plus, probably, some of the youngsters because we have far too big a squad consuming too much budget.

I think at this stage of the season we need to be bringing in players with as much league experience as possible.

I don't think it's worth the gamble of bringing in non league players. Let's wait for the start of next season and bring a few in then.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

League experience, as you put it, doesn't guarantee success. I don't get this oft stated fascination with 'league' players. Arguably, by far our best players over the last 2 seasons have had no, or minimal, 'league experience', being Smith, Gibbons, Whitfield, Alnwick and Streete, the exceptions in my eyes being Kay (since being moved to a new position) and, of course, Pope, and the worst those with lots of 'league experience', being the likes of Purkiss (in his second season), Wilson and Paterson, all of whom had vast experience but have been, quite simply, awful.

You could also argue that the experienced 'league players' only join a club, primarily, for the money on offer, whereas a non-league player (particularly so a young one or one with no previous chance in the league) could be said to join a league club, first and foremost, for the opportunity, and is far more likely, in my eyes, to do their best to take that chance offered, leading to more committed and consistent performances.

Finally, is there really that much difference now between our lowest football league and the Conference levels? Most of the Clubs there are prefessional outfits.

I'm not saying that if the right player with league experience comes along we shouldn't sign him at all, just that I don't see the point in not looking at the non-league level now in preference for 'league experience'.

Yet again no Billy Reeves in the squad yesterday and no Dan Turner either, can’t help but think these 2 might benefit from a loan if they’re still in Aspins plans.

I also think it’ll be interesting to see what happens with players like Wilson, Middleton, ADF & Hornby. Whether we let their contracts run down, or in the case of those on a longer deal - pay them off or loan them out.

Also another game where Forrester didn’t feature and Barnett got the nod. I really think Forresters days here could be numbered too.

I think the fact that Angus was brought on as well ahead of Forrester speaks volumes regarding Aspin's opinion of him now. He's either not showing the right attitude, or Aspo hasn't forgiven him for all of those misses in the last home league game he played, when he should have scored at least 2. Even Emile Heskey's grandmother would have put 1 of those chances away.

"Even Emile Heskey's grandmother would have put 1 of those chances away." (philmpv)

... but she has no league experience, and neither does she fall into the young and promising category! And, though I do not wish to be derogatory, she probably does fall into the cheap category!

I think the fact that Angus was brought on as well ahead of Forrester speaks volumes regarding Aspin's opinion of him now. He's either not showing the right attitude, or Aspo hasn't forgiven him for all of those misses in the last home league game he played, when he should have scored at least 2. Even Emile Heskey's grandmother would have put 1 of those chances away.

i'm glad you said his grandmother cos if you had said Heskey himself would of scored now that would of been stretching it :wink:

League experience, as you put it, doesn't guarantee success. I don't get this oft stated fascination with 'league' players. Arguably, by far our best players over the last 2 seasons have had no, or minimal, 'league experience', being Smith, Gibbons, Whitfield, Alnwick and Streete, the exceptions in my eyes being Kay (since being moved to a new position) and, of course, Pope, and the worst those with lots of 'league experience', being the likes of Purkiss (in his second season), Wilson and Paterson, all of whom had vast experience but have been, quite simply, awful.

You could also argue that the experienced 'league players' only join a club, primarily, for the money on offer, whereas a non-league player (particularly so a young one or one with no previous chance in the league) could be said to join a league club, first and foremost, for the opportunity, and is far more likely, in my eyes, to do their best to take that chance offered, leading to more committed and consistent performances.

Finally, is there really that much difference now between our lowest football league and the Conference levels? Most of the Clubs there are prefessional outfits.

I'm not saying that if the right player with league experience comes along we shouldn't sign him at all, just that I don't see the point in not looking at the non-league level now in preference for 'league experience'.

One of the big problems in the last 2 trasfer windows has either been too much non-English experience or signing players who didn't seen hungry enough for the shirt or the fight we were in.

Players who've done well that you mention like Gibbons, Smith, Whitfield, Alnwick are (or were) clearly hungry to play and impress. I'd add Jones in to that bracket too. Smith and Gibbons are from the area as well so thats an added boost for them.

I don' think Aspin and Rudge will be making the same mistakes.

One of the big problems in the last 2 trasfer windows has either been too much non-English experience or signing players who didn't seen hungry enough for the shirt or the fight we were in.

Players who've done well that you mention like Gibbons, Smith, Whitfield, Alnwick are (or were) clearly hungry to play and impress. I'd add Jones in to that bracket too. Smith and Gibbons are from the area as well so thats an added boost for them.

I don' think Aspin and Rudge will be making the same mistakes in this window.

I forgot about Jones - Good call.

I think Alnwick's hunger went when he joined that Scottish crap behind a young established keeper whom he has little chance of dislodging barring serious injury ;-)

Archived