onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Griff!!!!

DaneValiant

Advert

As they say not the most gifted of player, but what he did was give a 100% every match.

For that he became a cult figure at Vale for his crunching tackles and intimidation in the tunnel.

Hope he has a good time at Congleton and becomes a cult figure there as well. Enjoy your footy there Griff.

Griff is a legend. Remember him scoring at VP against Stevenage (maybe) just after I shouted "don't shoot" as he picked the ball up around 35 yards out.

I also remember that away day at Bournemouth the day they won league 2 I think where we were 0-0 at HT and Griff on a yellow (as per) was substituted for Tommy Fraser. We then went on to lose 4-0 and it was a bloody long drive home!

Maybe he’s finally reached his level. One of the worst players to ever pull on a Vale shirt. How he was ever a professional footballer is a complete mystery to me. However, good luck to him.

I will not attack the poster but I will attack the post. This represents everything bad about social media. The only very slight saving grace is the expression of good luck right at the end.

This was an announcement of what Griff is doing now. The actual announcement sums up his commitment to his community. He is announcing what he is doing with his life. As many others have said he had his technical limitations but in terms of endeavour, work rate, commitment, ferocity, motivation, you would be hard pressed to better him. Anyone with these qualities cannot be describe as one of the worse players to ever play for our club. The fact that he played so many games, under different managers, is also testament to his many sterling qualities. Being good technically is never enough to be a good professional.

One of a select number of Vale international players. Pope says he's the best tackler he ever played with. So nice Micky Adams said he's the kind of bloke he'd be glad if his daughter brought home. I'm going Gay for Griff t-shirts. Playing now just for the love of the game.

What's not to like about Griff? Limited sure, but we don't have many players down Vale who aren't limited. Good luck Griff.

I'll ignore the silly comment made early doors.

Never the best technically (I remember the evening he played right-back at Accrington and kicked it out of play, pretty much everytime he touched it, or it at least felt like it!). But, his tackling, and the timing of his tackles was flawless. For such a tough tackler, I never thought he was suspended much. He broke up play well, and his passing was just about ok to knock it off to someone of better ability. I credit him with his share of success in the promotion season. We needed someone like him in there, and whilst I'm sure there are better players out there who do his job, he did a good one for us.

Also, a lovely guy to boot. Met him a couple of times (Player of the year awards, a night out in Congleton) and always chatty and smiling. Delighted he's signed for the Bears and will pop down again when I get chance. They'll love him there.

Remember when we saw him pole dancing around a patio heater in DV8!?!

Proper star Griff is, I wish him all the best

I've seen games like Accrington away where Griff just couldn't do anything right, I've also seen games where he covered every blade of grass and kept the opposition at bay single handed. Thats' the nature of league 2 footballers, inconsistency.

A good servant to Port Vale, part of the promotion team and stuck with us during some really dark times at the club when the players weren't getting paid. For that he shouldn't be forgotten and has my utmost respect.

Good luck at Congleton.

Griff had his limitations, shooting and passing the main ones. However he was played as the guy to break up play in midfield, win the ball and give it to someone who could do something with it. He did that job very well and had a great tackle on him too. When he left we also missed his defensive heading ability.

Archived