onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Barnet

Fosse69

Thought Harness was man of a poor match. The ref wasn't. Funnily enough , didn't the injury time, 4 mins, come from their timewasting? Perhaps the ref should have halved it as it suited them!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using the onevalefan mobile app

Really? Funny how people view things differently watching the same game. I thought he was one of our worst today. For me, kay boot and Anderson were the standout performers. Harness, IMHO, is a poor player. His first touch is generally dreadful, and he too often runs into blind alleys before losing the ball. Aspo must rate him though as he keeps playing him, so what do I know?!

Sent from my SM-G900F using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

You could tell from the first 3 minutes what sort of game it was going to be. Stop-start, ball in touch so many times, time wasting from the off, basically typical Mark McGhee. They were strong and athletic which we again struggled against. If we’d have scored early, and we missed three sitters 1st half, it would have been a totally different game, but the longer it goes without scoring the more they dug in and the more desperate they became. The goal came from one of the few bits of quality we produced and seemed a cast iron penalty from me, though my dad didn’t think it was. Certainly the ref didn’t, but that was hardly surprising as his officiating was as bad as they come today. Despite what anyone says about Pope being too old, let’s gone etc, he’s a handful in the air PLUS he is one of the few players we have who reads the game and can see the next pass. Gibbons is another, and he was my MoTM. I thought Boot also played well, dealt really well with balls in the air, never let himself get intidated by Akindes tactics, kicked ok and made a really important save at 0-0. I think he could go on to establish himself as our regular No 1 with a bit more nurturing. All in all, poor game but one I’m glad we found a way to win.

Thought Harness was man of a poor match. The ref wasn't. Funnily enough , didn't the injury time, 4 mins, come from their timewasting? Perhaps the ref should have halved it as it suited them!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using the onevalefan mobile app

Couldn't believe how he just kept shrugging his shoulders every time we challenged him about their keeper time wasting over goal kicks. Yes he is allowed to take them either side of the goal, but should have been told to show more urgency about it.

Took just about every one the opposite side from where it went out. Blatant cheating, serves McGoo right! How on earth he keeps getting jobs I'll never know. Will hopefully take them back to non league

Really? Funny how people view things differently watching the same game. I thought he was one of our worst today. For me, kay boot and Anderson were the standout performers. Harness, IMHO, is a poor player. His first touch is generally dreadful, and he too often runs into blind alleys before losing the ball. Aspo must rate him though as he keeps playing him, so what do I know?!

Sent from my SM-G900F using the onevalefan mobile app

Totally agree, so I know nothing as well. The save from boot was a game changing moment

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

You've lost me with that one as the player flagged offside never touched the ball?

I agree, their player never touched the ball, making it a bizarre decision. He also failed to spot two of the most blatant handballs you’ll ever see.

Frustrating scrappy game but a very welcome 3 points.

Tricky game thought we deserved the win due to better chances created and should have been leading at half time which would have opened the game up and probably a much larger win- Midfield didn't seem to quite work when going forward just seemed pedestrian but also any cleared balls from the defenders seemed to either find the touchline or put back to a barnet player and the cycle continued enabling them to waste as much time as possible- to be hypocritical thought kay did a very good job sitting in front of the back four and Worrall did look lively in spurts but was relatively on his own , defenders coped well with 95% of the long balls backed by boot who had a very good game, popes game wasn't his best and whilst forester hold up was v good both should have been on the score sheet-think harness is better in the middle rather than wing and pugh seems anonymous but with gunning ,smith anderson poss glues the back together as we keep yet another clean sheet.

A very welcome 3pts and these games a more important to swing in our favour, overall very happy onwards and upwards just get a bossing/scoring ctr midfielder and we aint far away.

Just to echo others thoughts, that in Gibbons we have a natural footballer. Good in defence, doesn't panic, a threat going forward and can tackle. My man of the match today. Can't believe we could get any worse refs than some we've had these past couple of season's, but what was he up to today? Frankly he didn't know the rules, couldn't keep up with play and failed to interpret fouls, time wasting and to cap it all didn't see one of the most blatant penalties, right in front of him!! If there was an independent viewer watching his non performance he surely should not officiate again in the League.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the onevalefan mobile app

The ref today needs to take a serious look at himeself. As an ex ref to conference standard I usually give them the benefit of the doubt, the off mistake here and there I can tolerate. But !!! For Christ sake I actually think he got every decision wrong today !!! The assistant on the railway side was not good either. Thank God for the other liner had some balls and kept his flag up for the peno. As for Barnet well they looked really poor and I have said all season the 2 to go down will be teams that have tasted the conference in the past 20 years or so...Barnet, Cheltenham, Morecambe, Yeovil, to name just 4.

Just to echo others thoughts, that in Gibbons we have a natural footballer. Good in defence, doesn't panic, a threat going forward and can tackle. My man of the match today. Can't believe we could get any worse refs than some we've had these past couple of season's, but what was he up to today? Frankly he didn't know the rules, couldn't keep up with play and failed to interpret fouls, time wasting and to cap it all didn't see one of the most blatant penalties, right in front of him!! If there was an independent viewer watching his non performance he surely should not officiate again in the League.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the onevalefan mobile app

He spent most of the game chatting with the Barnet No10 and his positioning was dreadful. Plenty of red marks on his report sheet.

Even on paper our midfield of Kay and Pugh looks very weak, must be dire to watch. This is going to be Aspo's biggest challenge.

The midfield is a massive quadry as 3 didn’t turn up, there is no energy, closing down, runs to support the strikers and Worrall is just a daft diver that I’m really beginning to dislike in him.

3 points is always welcome but that wasn't a classic performance. Too many players that simply aren't good enough - Harness just ran into their defenders and Pugh must be getting a game because we have no one better. At least we looked solid and confident defensively. Aspo has a job on his hands over the next few seasons to mould this squad.

I agree about the game, take the points, forget it an move on as we were almost as bad as Barnet and the referee. The midfield generally and keeper are our major areas of weakness the former of which will be aided by the impending return of Whitfield but the centre of midfield is a disaster area and will really hold us back.

A third striker would also be welcome so we could send Barnett out on loan.

Archived