onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Premier League

Tomo

A separate topic to the one currently in this section, but it is related...I read a lot of football forums, Stoke & Crewe included. Came across this article on the Oatcake, which I think sums up the current situation perfectly:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/26/premier-league-dissatisfaction-fans-everton-west-ham

In addition to reading/listening to what quite a few Stoke fans (& others) think, I was wondering what people's opinions on here are? I know there are quite a few who join in discussion on the other thread, & have a second team that they follow.

If I'm honest, I've gotten quite bored of the so called 'best league in the world'. I used to sit waiting for both MotD/2 to come on every weekend after being to Vale, yet these days I barely even check the highlights for a game or two (despite them now being readily available on my phone/computer). I'm much more interested in watching Championship games/highlights, & focus a lot more on the lower leagues. I'll watch a game if it's on in the pub before Vale, but it's definitely a lot duller than it used to be. Amongst friends, it's more about laughing at the top teams when they slip up, rather than who is going to actually win the league.

Just think it's very high on hype, but low on actual entertainment. The only sort of excitement that can be obtained (unless you're a top 6 fan) is an upset against those currently in the top 6. Otherwise, aside from massive spending, the best you can realistically hope for these days is a 6th-9th finish in the table (& even then it isn't guaranteed - see Everton currently).

Advert

Good article, quite right, only competitive in parts. There is the big 6, who will soon have 60k plus grounds, some with somewhat dodgy ground sponsors. Then the rest whose ambition is to stay up, some more comfortable than others, maybe a cup to win. The visitors, who may stay over a while, who may enjoy it the most as they don't stay long enough to be bored just making the numbers up. Mind you I would love the Vale to have a visit, as Swindon once did. Another worry is that the Championship may go the same way, but at least 6 new teams a year.

The problems we see now started decades ago. Initially it was home clubs keeping all revenue from home game receipts whereas previously the away team got a percentage. Then we had the inception of the “greed is good” premier league, when teams in the then old 1st Division decided to jettison the rest of the football league. Now the top premier clubs want to take even more money of fellow premier clubs. I have no sympathy what so ever for the likes of Stoke etc because without their support Utd, Liverpool etc could not have created this Premier League monster. Divide and Conquer is the oldest trick in the book and yet people still fall for it.And this “anyone can beat anyone” Premier League comment is just a fallacy. Who did Sunderland beat last year ? I personally hate the Premier League and all it stands for.It has ruined English football

its a black hole waiting for the inevitable, fans will only take so much. When crowds start dropping off sky will pull the plug...

Do agree

By some of the empty seats it seems this is already happening the likes of west brom, stoke,southampton,+ i'm sure quite a few others - The fa let in the premier league and play 2nd fiddle so the power for the Premier league is it has the monopoly on the big teams and the money a 2nd league will eventually happen to spark life once everyone has had their fill with a European and the world league possibly being the next steps after that as the new fanbases will be where the cash is-

It doesn't really change much for the lower leagues as the teams main income in turnstyle & own cash generated .

To improve I would instill a max number of players that can be signed in a season (ie 5 players)along with a max spend per premier league team in transfers (ie £200m) with no more than 2 loan players.

Same for the academy's per age group max non british players and say 20 players per age group meaning others should filter down to other teams giving each player more quality time to progress.

Do agree

By some of the empty seats it seems this is already happening the likes of west brom, stoke,southampton,+ i'm sure quite a few others - The fa let in the premier league and play 2nd fiddle so the power for the Premier league is it has the monopoly on the big teams and the money a 2nd league will eventually happen to spark life once everyone has had their fill with a European and the world league possibly being the next steps after that as the new fanbases will be where the cash is-

It doesn't really change much for the lower leagues as the teams main income in turnstyle & own cash generated .

To improve I would instill a max number of players that can be signed in a season (ie 5 players)along with a max spend per premier league team in transfers (ie £200m) with no more than 2 loan players.

Same for the academy's per age group max non british players and say 20 players per age group meaning others should filter down to other teams giving each player more quality time to progress.

better to limit foreign players, if brexit dose'nt, as it killing our national team.

Do agree

More empty seats at West Bromwich.

Sent from my E2303 using the onevalefan mobile app

its a black hole waiting for the inevitable, fans will only take so much. When crowds start dropping off sky will pull the plug...

Premier League games average 96% of maximum attendance. The Premier League has the best selling TV coverage around the world.

I also think it is the strongest League in depth, but for several years it has not generated a top team in Europe. Man City may bridge that gap this year.

It is also failing to bring through English talent. England are dominating the world at U17 to U21 level and these players need to get Premier League game time.

Archived