• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Alnwick

Robbie Earle's Perm

Smurthwaite himself said that this is what happened. (So probably a load of old ballcocks then.) Nothing whatsoever to do with Page not wanting him or preferring to keep faith with Sam.

To be fair, you were one of the posters who berated me for sharing that Brown had lost the dressing room in August (After the crawley win too) and I was accused of stirring and making rumours up. I am only saying what I was told by a player.

Have you got a quote from Smurf to back that up?

Advert:

Whilst accepting that Scottish Football is not what it was, to have the opportunity to play for Rangers must have been a more than tempting offer. I don’t imagine he thought he would be a permanent unused sub when he moved. To berate him for moving for fiscal reasons is a little harsh. After all, didn’t Pope do exactly the same 2 years ago ?

Whilst accepting that Scottish Football is not what it was, to have the opportunity to play for Rangers must have been a more than tempting offer. I don’t imagine he thought he would be a permanent unused sub when he moved. To berate him for moving for fiscal reasons is a little harsh. After all, didn’t Pope do exactly the same 2 years ago ?

At least Pope played. He’s gone with little or chance of being anything more than number 2 and that’s sad.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

There are 250,000 reasons why they were worth the risk. Risks this club hadn't taken in as long as I can remember. Also about 12 months ago when Hooper went out on loan there was uproar on here from many about letting him go to Northampton. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. Campion was quite a popular figure on here when he wasn't playing also.

I thought all 3 were/are hopeless personally, but I suppose it's a game of opinions as the cliché goes.

There are 250,000 reasons why they were worth the risk. Risks this club hadn't taken in as long as I can remember. Also about 12 months ago when Hooper went out on loan there was uproar on here from many about letting him go to Northampton. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. Campion was quite a popular figure on here when he wasn't playing also.

Hooper was criticised far more than praised on here, you are mistaken, Campion was absolute rubbish - your defence of the chairman interfering and signing these players is plain daft.

If the £8k for Hooper had been spent on a goalkeeper in January we might be in a different division now, thank you Norman.

Advert:

Whilst Pope did indeed play for Bury, a high percentage of his appearances were from the bench. He was not a regular starter by any means. By his own admission, he moved for the money. Which of course is why every player moves, no matter how they might try to disguise it. Never think players are loyal to your club. The only thing they are loyal to is there back pocket.

Whilst Pope did indeed play for Bury, a high percentage of his appearances were from the bench. He was not a regular starter by any means. By his own admission, he moved for the money. Which of course is why every player moves, no matter how they might try to disguise it. Never think players are loyal to your club. The only thing they are loyal to is there back pocket.

I think it is fair to point out that Tom Pope didn't just go for a rise at Bury, but thanks to Smurf he was facing a pay cut if he stayed at Vale.

Not many players with a young family could turn down a choice like that, and he isn't on as much now at Vale as he was at Bury.

Forrester needs a run of games if he can get his body through them, there is definitely a player there if he can.

He will never get a run of games, as his body can't cope with a run of games. Last goal August 2016. He was a poor signing I'm afraid, which is sad for him but unfortunately factual.

To be fair, you were one of the posters who berated me for sharing that Brown had lost the dressing room in August (After the crawley win too) and I was accused of stirring and making rumours up. I am only saying what I was told by a player.

Have you got a quote from Smurf to back that up?

And to be fair, I did no such thing. I just looked back over my posts last August and said nothing of the sort. As for the Smurthwaite quote, I don't have one but he mentioned it in one of the Radio Stoke interviews after Brown went. Have a plough through those if you fancy.

Advert:

I don't think anyone is going to admit to sighting jj Hooper,I know I wouldn't .

Smurf did. He brought Hooper to the first game of the season at Crewe and sat with him in the main stand - we were about three rows behind them. He then said that he took Hooper to Vale on the Monday, introduced him to Page and said "Here's your striker, Rob".

Smurf did. He brought Hooper to the first game of the season at Crewe and sat with him in the main stand - we were about three rows behind them. He then said that he took Hooper to Vale on the Monday, introduced him to Page and said "Here's your striker, Rob".

To be fair he signed him off the recommendation of a high ranking official at Newcastle as he did with Streete and Alnwick. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad as the song goes. I wished 2 out of every 3 players signed by Page, Bruno and Brown weren’t bad!

To be fair he signed him off the recommendation of a high ranking official at Newcastle as he did with Streete and Alnwick. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad as the song goes. I wished 2 out of every 3 players signed by Page, Bruno and Brown weren’t bad!

Didn't Smurthwaite also sign Campion? What about that much heralded development squad with people like Deen-Conteh?

Advert:

The fact that Alnwick played in a cup semi final goes a long way to justifying his move to Rangers. He knew he would go there as number 2 as the previous number 2 had just been let go.

The mistake we made was not selling him but allowing Sam Johnson to go on loan just before we sold him as Halifax went up and we went down.

What about that much heralded development squad?

Yep that one that generated Hughill

If we end up with £3 million sell on in January how many 100’s times over will it have paid for itself?

At least if you are going to bash the owner think your point through.

Of course the money was a big factor in him moving, but hes also moved to a massive club where the chances of him going from there to another big club are arguably higher than if he had remained with us.

Having that club, in addition to Newcastle on your CV looks very attractive and now theres the possibility of him going to Forest. I'd imagine he'd be pretty happy with his career choice if that move comes off for him.

Its all hypothetical of course but would A club like Forest have come in for him had he still been here?

Archived