onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Goalkeeper

Sick_Valiant

Yeah Kay is crap.

But tbh, so is gunning, he loses his head, and it just woeful and gives up, Denton is nothing special, he's completely all left foot and constantly turns back, harness is on par with Kay,.he looks like he'd be great down power league on a Sunday, he is not a league footballer, montano, what is the point? Pugh and tongue are slow and past it, Whitfield looks livelyish, we do need to send some loans back, there must be A FREE AGENT worth looking at? This squad till January in sorry to say isn't good enough.

We will get relegated to the national league.

There is a reason why they are free agents.

Advert

An immediate solution is to take a keeper on loan from a higher league club that isn't getting regular games in the club's first team and needs to gain experience.

Didn't we do the first bit with getting Roos from Derby? :wink:

I've got no issue with Roos particularly - he's typical of a young inexperienced keeper

I don't really think he's much better than Hornby though - they are just different and make different types of errors

Taking Roos however means that the errors, which are part of the learning process won't benefit Port Vale, but Derby County in the long run AND it means we have to leave another loan out of the squad

Having seen Roos now for a handful of games I'd stick with Hornby and then Pyke or Stobbs can join the squad on a matchday. Every mess up the keeper makes will at least then be one of OUR players learning his trade which one day, maybe we'll benefit from in one form or another

I've got no issue with Roos particularly - he's typical of a young inexperienced keeper

I don't really think he's much better than Hornby though - they are just different and make different types of errors

Taking Roos however means that the errors, which are part of the learning process won't benefit Port Vale, but Derby County in the long run AND it means we have to leave another loan out of the squad

Having seen Roos now for a handful of games I'd stick with Hornby and then Pyke or Stobbs can join the squad on a matchday. Every mess up the keeper makes will at least then be one of OUR players learning his trade which one day, maybe we'll benefit from in one form or another

From your lips to God's ears - Lets give OUR players some on the job experience rather than Derby's - after all - we are getting the same results, even though he is from a "higher" team.

Training Roos is doing the Vale nothing at all

I think the lack of experience is not that big of a problem. If teams only ever signed experienced keepers, we'd very quickly run out of experienced goalkeepers. Every goalkeeper, from Shilton to Joe Hart has been given their chance for their debut at some point.

I've no idea why we let Sam Johnson go only to sign other backup keepers. I'd give Boot a go unless we can get someone really experienced in.

In t'old days, we only ever used to have 2 keepers in the squad. I remember feeling sorry for Trevor Wood never getting a chance when Grew had the number 1 jersey. Now we have, what, 5?

I think Roos was well up to the job against Grimsby having been shaky in a couple of previous games. If he has settled down now I am happy. Made an exhe cellent save against Grimsby. I liked Leighton, but he is out of the equation for a while.

I would be trying for Ross Turnbull - if we haven’t already. Looks like he doesn’t have a club after leaving Leeds.

6 foot 4, 160+ games under his belt and still only 32.

Yes, he would really inspire confidence. Free agent too so no problems with transfer window or loan system. Two probs though (i) would he come to a struggling L2 side and (ii) would Norman pay what would be very hefty wages? Well, the trap door beckons so it’s a question of what it’s worth to avoid the drop.

Reports on Hornby at Rotherham reserves were very positive.

When I've seen him, he has looked pretty decent and switched on.

Can't say Roos has looked any better, or even as good, although on limited information as neither has played many games.

Reports on Hornby at Rotherham reserves were very positive.

When I've seen him, he has looked pretty decent and switched on.

Can't say Roos has looked any better, or even as good, although on limited information as neither has played many games.

For me we might as well send Roos back as he was/is on a week to week emergency loan and stick Hornby in and have a run of games with him

• 2 months later...

Goalkeepers do well when they have a run of games and get to know their defenders and the team style of play.

We have a decent and keen and rapidly improving young keeper who has done us proud recently and we should stick with him, as continual change is counter-produictive.

I would hope Vale do not waste valuable and probably scarce resources on recruiting another keeper in January, and let Ryan Boot continue to do is job well.

He will make mistakes, as will all players, but only the vindictive bullying scum will relish the chance to come crashing down on him if he does - true fans appreciate his efforts and attitude.

Archived