onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Goalkeeper

Sick_Valiant

Ironically, I think part of the problem has been that Vale's youth team has been developing young, promising keepers but it's one of those positions where more experience is often needed when a team is struggling. A succession of managers have probably thought that one of the young ones would break through and yet none of them have, leaving us with rookies making mistakes, rushed signings to replace rookies making mistakes and emergency loans.

If Norman wants to back the Dream Team then I think he could do a lot worse than offer Fleetwood some decent money to get Neal back. Yes, he may have to pay well over the odds for a keeper who is now on the wrong end of 30 but I think it would be worth it. Neal is only back-up at Fleetwood and would surely jump at the chance of first-team football. I think Vale have to go in there with a cash bid high enough to enable Fleetwood to sign a replacement and hope he wants to come in January.

That's an excellent shout, he maybe the wrong side of 30 but that isn't too bad for a keeper and hopefully would still be better than what we have.

Advert

I agree with this but it’s getting to the point where we can’t afford to wait until January.

Sadly, due to the transfer window limitations (I mention it on the current front page post) I don't think you can do anything else. The window is closed apart from emergency loans (and we have one of them). I can't see how we can get someone like Neal apart from when the window re-opens.

As for the other post - yes, we could send Roos back and get someone else on "emergency" but as soon as Lainton is fit our ability to have a emergency loan goes out of the window anyhow.

I can't help feel that Vale (and probably others), have abused this emergency loan. It isn't the fault of the Football League that Brown decides he is unable to trust Hornby or Boot. Purely due to bad recruitment /management.

An emergency is if a club literally has an injury crisis not because the back ups are deemed not up to it.

Had Hornby continued maybe his confidence and understanding would of grown. I imagine now if he gets selected then he will be like a rabbit in headlights.

Well done again to Michael Brown.

That's another fine mess...

I can't help feel that Vale (and probably others), have abused this emergency loan. It isn't the fault of the Football League that Brown decides he is unable to trust Hornby or Boot. Purely due to bad recruitment /management.

An emergency is if a club literally has an injury crisis not because the back ups are deemed not up to it.

Had Hornby continued maybe his confidence and understanding would of grown. I imagine now if he gets selected then he will be like a rabbit in headlights.

Well done again to Michael Brown.

That's another fine mess...

I completely agree. I thought the emergency loan was only if we don't have a keeper to call upon through injury, suspension or being loaned out. The only two who fit those criteria are Lainton (crocked) and Slinn (loaned out) so we still have two fit keepers.

It is purely down to terrible recruitment. If Brown didn't rate Boot, why offer him a contract? If you sign an injury-prone number one why give him three rookies (Boot, Hornby and Slinn) as back-up? If Brown wanted Lainton and was aware of his injury record he needed an experienced back-up with perhaps Slinn as third keeper and one for the future.

I have been thinking about our goalkeeping situation and asking myself what has gone so wrong in the last 18 months.

Over the years we have always had a decent , reliable keeper for the level we were playing at , Musslewhite, Goodlad, Neal , and Alnwick to name a few.

We have now used is it 8 or 9 keepers since Alnwick left and non of them have even been close to being good enough.

If I was Aspin and Rudge i would make it my first priority.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If aspo and his team look at footage of games lost to date it's not rocket science to conclude we avnt been playing with a keeper just young lads who aspire to be prof goalies and didn't smurf cash in on the only good one so he cud sit on the bench at rangers

Ironically, I think part of the problem has been that Vale's youth team has been developing young, promising keepers but it's one of those positions where more experience is often needed when a team is struggling. A succession of managers have probably thought that one of the young ones would break through and yet none of them have, leaving us with rookies making mistakes, rushed signings to replace rookies making mistakes and emergency loans.

If Norman wants to back the Dream Team then I think he could do a lot worse than offer Fleetwood some decent money to get Neal back. Yes, he may have to pay well over the odds for a keeper who is now on the wrong end of 30 but I think it would be worth it. Neal is only back-up at Fleetwood and would surely jump at the chance of first-team football. I think Vale have to go in there with a cash bid high enough to enable Fleetwood to sign a replacement and hope he wants to come in January.

Once again we can not see any further than an ex vale player. For god sake there are hundreds of decent keepers out there

I completely agree. I thought the emergency loan was only if we don't have a keeper to call upon through injury, suspension or being loaned out. The only two who fit those criteria are Lainton (crocked) and Slinn (loaned out) so we still have two fit keepers.

It's some sort of loophole we're exploiting isn't it?

Lainton is injured and none of our other keepers have started x matches (5?) in their career.

Once again we can not see any further than an ex vale player. For god sake there are hundreds of decent keepers out there

Fair enough.

It was a name that came to mind but you're right - we need to scout a decent, experienced keeper and perhaps pay over the odds to bring them in.

It's some sort of loophole we're exploiting isn't it?

Lainton is injured and none of our other keepers have started x matches (5?) in their career.

Yep I suspect it is. It certainly shows what a mess Brown's recruitment left us in. In many ways, if you used Hornby and/or Boot at least they are our players and you play them in the hope that one them does start stepping up rather than a loan from another club that a) takes up a loan place in the squad (as you say further one stopping Pyke being picked) b) is stopping our own players Hornby/Boot gaining experience and c) looks nervy as anything.

Archived