onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neil Aspin and John Rudge rejoin the Vale

robf

Advert

A statement from Norman Smurthwaite

Smurthwaite: “The last statement I made was in May was when I stood away. I’ve come back because that route didn’t work. You have to have clear leadership and to run a football club you need to steer it. I’ve decided what happened has past. There will be announcements today regarding staff changes.”

I wonder if Garlick will be leaving? - he's hardly been heard from since Brown was sacked.

Great news, gutted I’m in Demark and going miss it...hope the place is packed to the rafters..UTV

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

I'm in Crete arrived yesterday and for the first time ever I didn't bring my Vale top. Gutted now because I would have been proud to wear it today. May the footballing gods bring the dream team the success we all crave for. UTV

Smurthwaite: “The last statement I made was in May was when I stood away. I’ve come back because that route didn’t work. You have to have clear leadership and to run a football club you need to steer it. I’ve decided what happened has past. There will be announcements today regarding staff changes. I would like to thank them for taking the steerage after Michael had gone. I did think they would go with Michael, which is why I approached Micky Adams.

“I did narrow it down to three candidates, of which Neil wasn’t one on Saturday morning, but Micky Adams persuaded me to start looking at a manager who I was talking about.

“There is no easy fix but this is an easy appointment. The true supporters of this club, I ask them to come down and support two people who have got legendary status at this club. Then the players can see the support there is rather than the fragmented nature it is in.

“I’m delighted to pull off this coup. This is the first appointment of the last three when they have got substantial pedigree.

Neil has got his own views and his own team. You will see that team in the dug out with him on Saturday. You will see his drive from this afternoon.”

Can someone please translate this in to English?

Yesterday I was posting with my head but today I'm letting my heart take the lead and I just feel so excited and emotional about all this. Thinking of my grand-dad who never went back to Vale after Rudge was sacked. Also thinking of the dearly departed Sheffield Valiant.

Agree totally, was a kid in the 90s so wasn't old enough to understand, however this has made me think about people who are no longer here, but got me watching Vale in the first place, gave me dozens of VHS to watch & told me countless stories about the era prior to me getting my ST in '01.

Very excited for Saturday, & needless to say family (who are older than me) are ecstatic too. Really hope this is the start of a turn around, however long it takes, but not expecting it to be easy. Hopefully everybody gives them the time they need.

Feels like it could be a big moment for Vale.

Sounds like they will be gone:

Smurthwaite: “The last statement I made was in May was when I stood away. I’ve come back because that route didn’t work. You have to have clear leadership and to run a football club you need to steer it. I’ve decided what happened has past. There will be announcements today regarding staff changes. I would like to thank them for taking the steerage after Michael had gone. I did think they would go with Michael, which is why I approached Micky Adams.

“I did narrow it down to three candidates, of which Neil wasn’t one on Saturday morning, but Micky Adams persuaded me to start looking at a manager who I was talking about.

“There is no easy fix but this is an easy appointment. The true supporters of this club, I ask them to come down and support two people who have got legendary status at this club. Then the players can see the support there is rather than the fragmented nature it is in.

“I’m delighted to pull off this coup. This is the first appointment of the last three when they have got substantial pedigree.

Neil has got his own views and his own team. You will see that team in the dug out with him on Saturday. You will see his drive from this afternoon.”

I find paragraph 2 particularly incomprehensible. Does he mean he hadn't considered Aspo until Micky Adams persuaded him to? Or had Norman made up his mind already? Baffling.

Although we were all talking about this yesterday until it was actually announced I didn't dare get my hopes up. Thank you Smurf for once you have made the right decision, both Rudgie and Aspin were great servants of Vale and will give 110% and hopefully galvanise the players to do likewise

If reports are to be believed then it appears to be almost certain that Neil Aspin will be announced as the club's new manager with John Rudge joining in a Director of Football role.

I'd like to wish both of them the very best of luck - share your thoughts about their appointment or simply wish the pair of them good luck on this thread...

Can I suggest u retitle ya thread as ASPIN and rudge try to REPAIR VALE as opposed to rejoin and agreed we wish em both well on what is an immense mess they have to sort out and to use a much used term by smurf TIC TOC

Archived