onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - The Ashes

robf

Advert

Blatantly obvious in Australia they're a far better side, in England I would agree with stoneman. Still we're a mile away from where we need to be.

True but we are starting to see some serious issues raise their heads. We desperately need a reliable spinner (and frankly I can't see one on the horizon in the county game) and a number three batsman while Anderson, Broad and Cook are not getting any younger.

I can see the Curran brothers and Overton twins coming into the bowling ranks perhaps but we still have no signs of a spinner and number three.

At last,Chef stays at the crease.Well played Cookie,the highest scorer by a visiting batsman at Melbourne.Would love to see him get 300?

His name will now replace that of Viv Richards on that big board in the MCG foyer. Cook’s innings was predicted in the Gospels - “On the third day he rose again”

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another days hard toil in the field for our beleaguered cricketers. I realise that cricket has its supporters on these pages, but I do sometimes wonder why. A match can potentially last for 30 hours spread over 5 days and yet the outcome is known from the onset. Hardly riveting viewing. Then we do the same thing for a further 4 matches. Whoever came up with the timescale for Test Cricket must have been mentally unstable. Test Attendances hold up in England, as a day at the Test is seen as a social occasion and to a lesser degree in Australia due to tradition. But elsewhere in the world, the matches are played out in empty stadia. The Ashes series apart, Test Cricket is dead and resounding defeats like the one currently being experienced in Australia do little to change that view.

Thought crane was quite impressive on another pretty poor cricket pitch in my opinion.

Yep, liked how much spin he got on a batsman's paradise of a wicket. Really unlucky to have the "Wicket" chalked off for the no ball.

For me England's plight in the last two Tests just further emphasizes the lack of a quality strike bowler. Steve Smith is a quality batsman with incredible hand eye co-ordination but his technique of taking a huge step back and across his wicket would be exploited by a bowler of genuine pace. Sadly when your fast bowlers can barely manage 135km/h and there's little lateral movement he has time to adjust.

Archived