onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Micky Adams 'paranoid', says Martin Keown

Macc Lad

How does that have anything to do with what Keown said?

"Micky did a good job for us so any negative comments about him can't be true".

Does it honestly surprise anyone that Micky is a control freak and not well liked in football?

There seems to be a rule that you have to think Micky's a top bloke to appreciate his managerial success. Micky isn't a good bloke.

The OP was suggesting we need to be aware, I think we should judge him on what he's already achieved for us against the odds.

Not well liked in football because Martin flaming Keown doesn't like him? I think that's a huge throw away statement.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

He isn't well-liked in football.

Again you say that without evidencing it.

I'm sure the fans of the four clubs he's won promotion for disagree, I'm sure Pope would disagree as he transformed him, what about Zamora, etc?

The only two pillocks I can think of that don't like him are Keown and Steve Evans. I'm sure there are more and I'm sure no one is liked 100% as it's a cut throat business but to make a massive generalising statement like that without thinking about fact shows you just don't like him yourself which is a shame given how superb he has been for our team.

I'm pretty sure that Micky didn't get into football management to win personality contests, which is just as well really.

I have a theory that you have to be a **** to a certain extent be a football manager, that's why so many of the successful ones down the years have been Scottish.

Again you say that without evidencing it.

I'm sure the fans of the four clubs he's won promotion for disagree, I'm sure Pope would disagree as he transformed him, what about Zamora, etc?

The only two pillocks I can think of that don't like him are Keown and Steve Evans. I'm sure there are more and I'm sure no one is liked 100% as it's a cut throat business but to make a massive generalising statement like that without thinking about fact shows you just don't like him yourself which is a shame given how superb he has been for our team.

He has been superb for our team, I have never disputed that. Again, you seem to think disliking MA and respecting his achievements are mutually exclusive. They're not.

I don't like him, with good reason. Keown's assertions only reinforce my views.

He has been superb for our team, I have never disputed that. Again, you seem to think disliking MA and respecting his achievements are mutually exclusive. They're not.

I don't like him, with good reason. Keown's assertions only reinforce my views.

You've said he's not liked in football but can't evidence it so we will leave it there.

If you don't like him that's your choice.

As another poster says I'm sure he's not there to be liked like most people in football.

How very unfortunate that I don't own a tele,just think of all the super stuff I'm missing,,,

You're not missing much...

The only TV programme I've watched in the past month or so that wasn't sport related was the new Sky drama "Tin Star"..which for me had some good elements to it.

Not like the good old days when we had the likes of........"The Good Old Days" :)

Interesting to see what Adams wrote about Keown. Could be that Keown has read Micky's comments and last night was his way of getting back. Jonathan Pierce was sucking up to Keown, suggesting more top flight players like him should be going into lower level clubs and helping with coaching, which led to Keown describing his time at Leicester.

Not sure when we are due to play Mansfield, but I do hope Micky Adams is still around in some capacity at Vale to give a warm welcome to his old chum Steve Evans.

I remember MA's brilliant tirade on Radio Stoke after the rotund one brought his lovely Crawley side to Vale Park for the opening game a few seasons ago.

Micky has earned the respect of Vale fans for the cracking job he did here. He arrested the slide and got us promoted and I'm guessing probably has the best win ratio of any Vale manager.

Keown was a boring footballer and he's an even more boring pundit. God knows how he got a job on tv?

In the style of W1A - "what, too dull for Match of the Day?" That's going some. Amazed at how Keown got that punditry job - and Robbie Savage. And Andy Townsend.

We shouldn't berate Keown purely on the basis that he has criticised one of our many ex managers. However, it is easy to talk about what to do, rather than actually doing it. Ex top players would rather take the easy buck and comment on TV rather than trying to put their knowledge and experience into practice. For this reason I at least applaud Brown for putting his reputation on the line and trying.

I just look at the logistics of being a football manager. lets suppose you have some success and do it for 20 plus years, overseeing say 40 players a season. Then there are the staff who work with you, the directors, the media etc. Its a lot of people to come in to contact with. Bound to have a large number of varied opinions. On the other hand do the very best managers bring a unification of view points? Bobby Robson was universally liked. Alex Ferguson, I am guessing less universally liked but widely respected. I can see how Micky Adams could be called paranoid, having listened to him on his worst days on Radio Stoke, but I wouldn't go too far down that road, he was a hard worker and a survivor in a difficult environment. Getting Port Vale to stay functioning and even successful when in administration was an achievement he can be really proud of.

We shouldn't berate Keown purely on the basis that he has criticised one of our many ex managers. However, it is easy to talk about what to do, rather than actually doing it. Ex top players would rather take the easy buck and comment on TV rather than trying to put their knowledge and experience into practice. For this reason I at least applaud Brown for putting his reputation on the line and trying.

I always remember the story of the team talk that Rudgie gave when we played Arsenal. Close them down all over the pitch except for Keown. Let him bring the ball out from defence and pick his pass! That was the most effective way to get possesion back against the team that went on to win the double. He was worse on the ball than Griff!

Archived