onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Steel City Derby

Advert

Don't forget it was live on the box as well.

I think some posters forget that not everyone on here has lots money, particularly the ones who have look down on normal wage workers, seen it in their posts.

To these people it is a crime to be poor, one of them even posted 'I bet you are on benefits' to me a few weeks ago, which I am not by the way but there is no shame in anyone not having lots of money to waste on football admission prices that are absurd.

£40 a person for a match you can watch at home for a small price, or in the pub - especially as derby matches have some trouble everywhere.

A family man (or lady, or both) who takes a couple of older teenagers and has programmes, a bite and drink will be looking at £100 which he probably needs for a weeks food.

Don't forget it was live on the box as well.

Does have an impact on the 'casual' fan who 20+ years ago would not have had any chance to see the match other than attending the stadium....would be interesting to have some idea generally of how many these days decide not to go but to watch it the telly instead.....it can be a much cheaper option and if you're paying for Sky anyway.

The Sheffield derby used to sell out in a day.Now it no longer does.Both Owls and Blades supporters seem to think they are big clubs.They are not.Never will be.Stoke City get larger crowds and at this current time so do Leicester and Palace.

Hillsborough is a tired old ground and would struggle to pass the relevant safety requirements in the next ten years.Wednesday were an hour from existence only a few years ago until Mandaric brought them.There supporters are dillusional and arrogant.

The Sheffield derby used to sell out in a day.Now it no longer does.Both Owls and Blades supporters seem to think they are big clubs.They are not.Never will be.Stoke City get larger crowds and at this current time so do Leicester and Palace.

Hillsborough is a tired old ground and would struggle to pass the relevant safety requirements in the next ten years.Wednesday were an hour from existence only a few years ago until Mandaric brought them.There supporters are dillusional and arrogant.

Now we are seeing that your posts are actually an agenda against Sheffield Wednesday (which is not of any great interest, you may have your reasons) rather than a genuine feeling that the crowd was low.

You haven't addressed the point that has been made that a family who wanted to go not only might have safety concerns (I believe there was a bit of trouble at the game) but simply CANNOT AFFORD £40 per person which becomes £50 with programme, snack, petrol, parking, drink etc and could near £200, when a lot of people have to live on that amount or not much more and find mortgage or rent, food, clothes and other things that are essentials when football is not.

It may not be just the 'casual' fans that JA refers to either - even the most dedicated hardcore fan is going to choose to eat and keep a roof over his head before a grossly overpriced ticket for a match he can watch at the pub for the cost of 2 pints or less.

I see what you mean about costs.But is it the same for others derbies that sell out weeks before the actual game.Manchester,Glasgow,Liverpool,Edinburgh,North East,Birmingham etcMy point is the Sheffield derby is not a big game any more.It did sell out Wembley in 93.Wednesday and United will have larger crowds when Leeds visit.

So where are those supporters at the derby game.Leeds game will be a sell out.

I see what you mean about costs.But is it the same for others derbies that sell out weeks before the actual game.Manchester,Glasgow,Liverpool,Edinburgh,North East,Birmingham etcMy point is the Sheffield derby is not a big game any more.It did sell out Wembley in 93.Wednesday and United will have larger crowds when Leeds visit.

So where are those supporters at the derby game.Leeds game will be a sell out.

Leeds are a massive club and top of the table, and it may well not be on TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_City_derby

Only had a quick glance but whilst attendances at Hillsborough for the derby are well down on the early 90s (and obviously earlier) they seem to have crept up in recent years..although the latest showed a significant drop...some large variations in the early 2000s

I dare say cost, it being on the telly, other things to do on match day, both clubs compared to where they have been historically are in the doldrums and many other factors have played a part.

Why are they? Their support is actually pretty fickle. Check the stats from recent seasons and they'll dip to 20k or less for some games.

I dare say they have had some ropey attendances in recent years but the average holds up

2016-17 27K+

2015-16 21K+

2014-15 24K+

2013-14 25K+

http://www.wafll.com/leeds-statistics/leeds-2013-14.html

Leeds are not a massive club either.It is on TV and it will sell out

Leeds are the biggest club outside the Prem, and are a much bigger club than many currently in the Prem - their record as one of the best sides in Europe from the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s is remembered by many older fans, even though they never got as many trophies as they deserved.

If you really think clubs like Swansea, Bournemeouth, Stoke, Crystal Palace, Leicester, and probably half a dozen others are as big as Leeds I can only say we will have to disagree.

When they return to the Prem, they will sell out every home game and become one of the great clubs of English football again, emulating their rich history.

Archived