onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

We were poor last night. Even when we had our chances, we were still playing as if we were the away team - to Accrington Stanley at home! I haven't read through all of this thread, but a couple of observations from last night:

- Wilson is either not fit or not interested. We missed Gibbons on the right and maybe Worrall should have started there with one of the other lads covering in the middle.

- Roos has to be one of the worst keepers I've seen. I wouldn't say Hornby is a long term answer but he didn't do a lot wrong really, so I feel sorry for him for losing his place. That fumble in the second half where he knocked it out for a corner was so amateur.

- Morgan and/or Kelly can't coach. I'd love to see what they do in training because all we seemed to do what hit 60 yard passes... do they practice short passing at all? It doesn't look it.

- Also we afforded Accrington too much possession - as we have done in every game I have seen. Even at 1-0 up we were only counter attacking like an away side. It was obvious in the second half that they would be more threatening with the possession and yet we still let them have it all, hence why we barely had a sniff. You can't win if you don't have the ball.

- Personally like the 3-5-2 formation as it suits the players we have and hopefully will make us more solid, but the tactics employed last night were a farce.

- Pope and Barnett are too similar. You need one or the other, upfront with either Pyke or Turner who can do the running. Barnett for me was awful, and if Brown thought he was the answer then god knows what it'd be like if he'd have stayed.

- How many professional footballers does it take to figure out that long balls onto Popes head isn't working? Answer is we don't know because if they were still playing now they'd still be doing it. I feel so sorry for Pope because he had both centre halves on him all night, and when did manage to win a flick on no-one was reacting to the second ball. He's actually quite good with the ball into his feet and yet I don't recall at any point last night that that happened. He's strong with his back to goal and with the ball at his feet it makes it so much harder for the defender to win it, yet we kept putting it on his head where 9 times out of 10 he's not going to have a chance.

- We have zero intelligence or creativity in the side. Dodds was a marmite player for some when he was here but it was his cleverness in the promotion season that allowed Pope to succeed as a lone striker. Worrall looked to have something about him when he first came in but that looks to have been sucked out of him, which again leads me to question the coaching methods. Eagles did this well last year, what I wouldn't give to have him back.

- Antony Kay is an awful signing. Too small for a centre half, I don't recall him winning a header. But at least if a centre half is smaller he has pace to make up for it - but he doesn't because he's 34! And he's captain which means he'll probably play more than he doesn't. And if that wasn't bad enough he's on a 2 year contract... WHO OFFERS A 34 YEAR OLD A 2 YEAR CONTRACT?! Thanks Brown... Gunning to start on the left side of the three for me.

- Not entirely sure we needed 4 changes. Okay, you could argue that it was to freshen the team up and the squad didn't look too bad, but we need some stability somewhere? When Gibbons is back (Saturday hopefully?) I'll be hoping that the back 3/5 that starts that game will be given 10 games together to gel.

The standard of creativity, passing, and overall play was frightening last night. Whoever comes in has a job on their hands. I don't think the squad is all that bad but we need some decent coaches because for me Morgan and Kelly can't do it, so I hope they won't be part of the set up.

Advert

- Roos has to be one of the worst keepers I've seen. I wouldn't say Hornby is a long term answer but he didn't do a lot wrong really, so I feel sorry for him for losing his place. That fumble in the second half where he knocked it out for a corner was so amateur.

He didn't fumble it, it had already gone out.

Thanks for clearing that up

Sent from my SM-G920F using the onevalefan mobile app

Another match, another manager, another defeat. 10 games gone and 5 points. Is it ok to now panic officially ?

The main issue to 'panic' over is the club's oiwnership/stewardship...another day, same owner, not likely to get a new one any time soon, club looking less attractive, price dropping which should be a god thing but makes the owner less likely to sell IMO.........maybe not panic but ..despair maybe??

He didn't fumble it, it had already gone out.

Definitely, people being very harsh, the flag was already down for a corner whilst he was in the act.

I thought the performance was below par with Denton being the main positive. The goalie didn't have much to do other than pick the ball out of the net twice. Wilson was shocking and Kay and Middleton were poor as was DeFreitas (yet again - still don't see anything in him). Smith has gone markedly backwards this season. I thought Barnett was better than Pope but not a lot in it and can't understand why they both played together. The rest were just average although Worrall took his goal well.

Another match, another manager, another defeat. 10 games gone and 5 points. Is it ok to now panic officially ?
At this rate we would finish with 23 points, as would FGR and Spires, goal difference would be crucial. Luckily a lot more games to go, not quite squeaky yet.

Definitely, people being very harsh, the flag was already down for a corner whilst he was in the act.

Completely agree, that was the way I saw it too, but some people are lining him up as their latest scapegoat.

Overall, a first half that was very good and well worth going for, but sadly we don't seem to be able to sustain the momentum and collapse after the break - 3 games running now.

There have been signs of definite improvement with this new formation though, and I wouldn't say a result of some kind at Stevenage is beyond Vale. Keep the faith regardless of the manager situation for now..

Havent had proper chance reply to game thread .

I thought we played ok up until the goal went in then because we had to many defensive minded players we sat back and as worrall and Denton pressed really well i didnt think other players did as ithough Accringtontook charge in a possession way .

The goal well if u playing 3 centre halfs u would have thought one of them whoevers man Billy Kee was would have thrown themselves at the ball.

Not to be 1-1 then apart from a fantastic surge by Denton which resulted in a good ball across the goal which pope put goalwards but there goalie as he had his anglesright saved with his legs,i though Accrington had way to much of the ball but they aint 3rd because they r naff they r third as they have hungry playerswho take there opportunities when presented.

The second goal for them was so lame by us maybe someone can enlighten me whos fault it was as it seemed to me that everyone at the back was at fault for it .

Then the 3 subs come on and we had a few good opportunities mainly falling to defrietas but the lads never scored a league and never will if he doesnt improve .

As for individuals

Smith didnt contribute much ,on the ball he is edgy and incompetent .

Anderson did ok Kay did ok but not a one of them joins or links the play .

Wilson edgy seemed reluctant join in .

Denton i think Vales star man he got forward he worked his socks off and waspositive even though his shot when breaking through may have hit the corner flag lol .

Worrall scored ,pressed did ok his final ball needs to be better .

Middleton his corners ok but doesnt get involved ,he was taking no responsibilty u win the ball up the pitch and get us heading towards there goal not sitting in front our 3 centre halfs all game .

Whitfield hit the bar but goes missing as after that i didnt know he was playing .

Pope second half general no show but quality of ball to him bar the Denton ball in atrocious ,first half ok worked hard and involved in goal.

Barnett there is something there but needs to up his work rate ,u have to run like mad the Accrington players had to much time for my liking yet when we had they were competing all over the place.

Subs made positive contributions i thought but to late to rescue the game .

Turner links well with Pope letsc if he can with Barnett .

Defrietas shooting practice for u dont come back until u net a screamer v Stevenage ,u had 3 good situations u blew them all.

Tonge went forwards unlike negative Middleton .

We have lost 6/7 home game 3272 home fans there we deserve a lot better .

A new manager a must .

Havent had proper chance reply to game thread .

I thought we played ok up until the goal went in then because we had to many defensive minded players we sat back and as worrall and Denton pressed really well i didnt think other players did as ithough Accringtontook charge in a possession way .

The goal well if u playing 3 centre halfs u would have thought one of them whoevers man Billy Kee was would have thrown themselves at the ball.

Not to be 1-1 then apart from a fantastic surge by Denton which resulted in a good ball across the goal which pope put goalwards but there goalie as he had his anglesright saved with his legs,i though Accrington had way to much of the ball but they aint 3rd because they r naff they r third as they have hungry playerswho take there opportunities when presented.

The second goal for them was so lame by us maybe someone can enlighten me whos fault it was as it seemed to me that everyone at the back was at fault for it .

Then the 3 subs come on and we had a few good opportunities mainly falling to defrietas but the lads never scored a league and never will if he doesnt improve .

As for individuals

Smith didnt contribute much ,on the ball he is edgy and incompetent .

Anderson did ok Kay did ok but not a one of them joins or links the play .

Wilson edgy seemed reluctant join in .

Denton i think Vales star man he got forward he worked his socks off and waspositive even though his shot when breaking through may have hit the corner flag lol .

Worrall scored ,pressed did ok his final ball needs to be better .

Middleton his corners ok but doesnt get involved ,he was taking no responsibilty u win the ball up the pitch and get us heading towards there goal not sitting in front our 3 centre halfs all game .

Whitfield hit the bar but goes missing as after that i didnt know he was playing .

Pope second half general no show but quality of ball to him bar the Denton ball in atrocious ,first half ok worked hard and involved in goal.

Barnett there is something there but needs to up his work rate ,u have to run like mad the Accrington players had to much time for my liking yet when we had they were competing all over the place.

Subs made positive contributions i thought but to late to rescue the game .

Turner links well with Pope letsc if he can with Barnett .

Defrietas shooting practice for u dont come back until u net a screamer v Stevenage ,u had 3 good situations u blew them all.

Tonge went forwards unlike negative Middleton .

We have lost 6/7 home game 3272 home fans there we deserve a lot better .

A new manager a must .

I've tried agitating for weeks, with little traction. People who had the motivation have drifted away. Most of the fans left are those who say "I turn up every week and get behind the lads" and wouldn't dare protest.

I accepted a short while ago that we are well and truly ****** unless the clown in the boardroom does the decent thing. Which he never has done.

As i keep saying i am still here,protested long and hard to get v2001 out and was spat at,abused etc but i can handle that i am a big lad but its not for me now,i wont be going through that again,time for others to take it on if thats what they want to do.

Many and i am not including you here as i dont know what you did under v2001 were saying yes,yes come on lets protest and were billy big uns on here then never turned up and just others deal with the flack...having said all this i did enjoy cornering and grabbing hold of Mr Oliver at Bury and telling him whats what

Archived