onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Accrington Stanley

Fosse69

Advert

I'd say that spell in the first half was the best I've seen us perform all season... but we missed chances and we were made to pay for them again.

One of the big differences between last night and Staurday was we had no outlet on the right. The role of a wing back is to get forward and be energetic on that side. Now I know we were forced into that change but Wilson just isn't that player. He should have been taken off earlier. Contrast that to Denton on the other side who picked up where he left off at the weekend.

I liked how we played at Yeovil with that system, but I think we had the wrong players in that formation last night. We missed Tonge and in his absence we had no one to control the ball in that area and make us tick and I think he and Turner should have come on earlier or even started.

On another day the chances off the woodwork go in, but we let our performance drop second half and they aren't a bad side and they made us pay.

However whats frustrating is where we are, we all think we should be too good for sides like Yeovil, FGR and Accrington, but we are down here for a reason. We and the players need to realise we have no right to be higher up, you get what you deserve and even though the last 2 games have shown what we can be capable of the players need to up their levels and consistency because we are not too good to go down.

Further top notch goalkeeping. Drops it for a corner and they score.

That keeper is garbage, under no pressure whatsoever and he drops the bloody thing!! My seven year old grand daughter would have caught that. Also the gloves he wears look about two sizes too big and are probably oven gloves as he drops nearly every bloody cross or punt into the box. Send him back down the a50 please. 😠

Well be nice c a motivated from first whistle to last minute performance tonight.

Looking forwards to it swapped my shift from 22.00 to 06.00 to 23.00 till 07.00 so i can take my season ticketing holding nephew and son .

Team well id pick the 11 who have being flying about in training.

Make no bones about it Accrington r a very good side so we have to be at our best collectively its no good 3 out of 11 being at there best and the other 8 be no where near there best.

Champions league no thanks get yourself to Vale and support the club .

As phoning the radio station after and whinging if it doesnt go our way isnt going to change anything especially if your loud and passionate voice isnt there to encourage .

So play your part Vale fans its not hard go the etihad as u will ca team who wins regularly but togo Vale park shows u have great spirit and character and even though u have being abused by Vales terrible performances u still go so that makes u unique.

Utv

Sent from my SM-G935F using the onevalefan mobile app

I really don't know how we didn't win tonight. Best performance of the season so far. If we keep showing that intensity, cut out the stupid mistakes that cost us at the back post every bloody week and start to get the luck, I'm convinced that we will slowly start to crawl our way out of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank god for some common sense on here totally agree with you, could just have done with Gibbons being on instead of Wilson. Can't knock any of the players in commitment or skill, we are at last getting a better method of playing together. Yes we lost but how many times have we hit post or bar this season. Accrington nice footballing side but we could have been over the hill and far away by half time. I think we are getting closer to giving someone a real good thrashing. Liked Barnett too let's hope he keeps fit. Thought the real Vale fans where terrific last night, not like the guys on here hiding behind their phones. Yes our predicament is dire but that's why we give support when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

what are you talking about? we were slightly better than awfull first half, then reverted to type 2nd half and waited for stanley to do us. doesnt seem to matter on the personelle or the system, nothing seems to change. we need a manager to sort out the best 11 and stick to it. some of our players are no worse than anything else ive seen this season.

Sent from my SM-A310F using the onevalefan mobile app

I respect your opinion and right to disagree with you. But we must have seen a different games. Some of the movement and passing last night was at times top draw - especially the stuff down the left. A definite improvement on some of the absolute garbage that we have seen already this year. I'm not arguing that it was world class or on the whole even good enough (we did slack off second half as we tired) but it was an improvement and we did more than enough to win that game. i though that we were the better side from the off, created more chanced, pushed them back consistantly and our pace was giving them problems. there were signs that the front two can link up together to make a good partnership, both putting a shift in and Pope having his most effective game of the season.

It can and must get better, but did look to be improving. If we can get a decent manager in and continue to improve, i really think that there are lots worse than us out there.

Agree;

Keeper - no confidednce whatsoever

Wilson - clearly nowhere near good enough

Smith - a shadow of himself when playing with Kay

Kay - joke of a footballer, it's a disgrace he's captain

Anderson - not so bad but definitely should have been sent off for pulling back their player when through on goal

Denton - head and shoulders man of the match, how Brown chose not to play him week in week out I don't know. His ball in for the sitter Pope missed should have drawn us level.

Whitfield - not a central midfielder

Worrall - not a central midfielder and a disgrace for his actions in the first half

Middleton - a central midfielder but the poorest of an exceptionally weak midfield. Both goals came from failure to deal with second balls by the midfield

Pope - better first half but zero pace and completely knackered second half constantly the wrong side of his man when challenging for balls played into him. Can't believe he missed that chance second half.

Barnett - much the same as Pope, possibly slightly better overall in the air and particularly second half.

Why the chuckle brothers waited to put Turner on then chucked him initially out wide was staggeringly stupid. Those two pillocks must leave now.

I agree about Denton who was very very good last night. Interesting though, i thought that their second goal came as a result of someone (possibly Denton) not picking up the runner on their right allowing the cross to come across. I'd need to see it again to see who was supposed to be picking him up, but didn't personally think that either of their goals was caused by the midfield which i thought looked stronger than usual.

Interesting game of opinions though and good how we all see a game differently.

I agree about Denton who was very very good last night. Interesting though, i thought that their second goal came as a result of someone (possibly Denton) not picking up the runner on their right allowing the cross to come across. I'd need to see it again to see who was supposed to be picking him up, but didn't personally think that either of their goals was caused by the midfield which i thought looked stronger than usual.

I thought it was the weakest midfield all season, there was no shape and we consistently allowed them to run at us and gave them oceans of space.

The second came from a corner the keeper didn't keep in play, it was headed to the edge of the box and once again we didn't pick up the second ball. In the next phase of play they scored.

For both of their goals we had two opportunities to clear second ballsnour defenders had initially cleared;

http://www.skysports.com/football/port-vale-vs-accrington/374184

I thought the midfield 3 were much better on saturday than last night.

Having seen the goals again it looks like the keeper goes across for the first one with his wrong hand and for the second it looks like we've switched off at the back post, possibly Denton and the lad has got in behind to square it for the tap in. Thats not the first time this season that players have lost concentration for a moment and the opposition have scored.

But overall Denton was very good last night and that role as a wing back suits him.

I'd say that spell in the first half was the best I've seen us perform all season... but we missed chances and we were made to pay for them again.

One of the big differences between last night and Staurday was we had no outlet on the right. The role of a wing back is to get forward and be energetic on that side. Now I know we were forced into that change but Wilson just isn't that player. He should have been taken off earlier. Contrast that to Denton on the other side who picked up where he left off at the weekend.

I liked how we played at Yeovil with that system, but I think we had the wrong players in that formation last night. We missed Tonge and in his absence we had no one to control the ball in that area and make us tick and I think he and Turner should have come on earlier or even started.

On another day the chances off the woodwork go in, but we let our performance drop second half and they aren't a bad side and they made us pay.

However whats frustrating is where we are, we all think we should be too good for sides like Yeovil, FGR and Accrington, but we are down here for a reason. We and the players need to realise we have no right to be higher up, you get what you deserve and even though the last 2 games have shown what we can be capable of the players need to up their levels and consistency because we are not too good to go down.

Good post PV1973.Accrington proved a point last night , they are a top 4 side on a bottom 4 wage bill. Have been watching the Vale for 35 years and during that time I have seen worse players wearing a Vale shirt than most of the current first 11.However in my time I have never seen a Vale team in such a lowly position. As we are now past the first few games the league is beginning to reflect where you ought to be. Therefore I feel I can say this is the worst Vale team I have watched. Disregard opinion as they say the league doesn't lie. No big fan of Smurf and by his own admission he has made mistakes but he doesn't run over that white line , that's the players. Its also the players who need to shoulder the responsibility for our poor league position. As per the David Artell rant from last season if you want to be milkmen next year carry on playing as you are. Mines 2 pints of pasteurised.

I was surprised by the wholesale changes to midfield; I can only assume that they thought playing Saturday and Tuesday is too much??

They did a lot of chasing as Accy moved the ball around well, which ultimately was our undoing.

I liked the attempts to play a high tempo.

Sadly, Wilson looks shot. He is either not very good, or totally lacking in confidence, or both.

He looked like he really didn't want to be there last night and did virtually nothing.

How can he have played 30+ games for Bolton last season?

Denton was excellent; Barnett looks athletic, has good control and distribution.

Thought Pope looked pedestrian!

Way too much long ball in the second half; a sign of exhaustion I thought.

Also various players were trying for the spectacular and failing; a sign of desperation.

Composure is lacking badly and is a feature of a losing team.

Anderson should have been sent off; the one time the incredibly weak/ tolerant referee was useful to us.

In sum, I really don't know what to make of it all.

Archived