onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

raywalkersbananakick

Advert

With the exception of a few teams at the top of the national league, Askey will have had little or no experience of the calibre of L1 teams. If he manages the Vale, he will routinely come up against better quality, better organised, and better coached teams and find a different order of professionalism. In short, he will be cutting his teeth as a league manager in situations he hasn't encountered before and all with the pressures of ensuring that we survive as a league club.

This is a risk we cannot afford to take. I don't care how good a manager he is in non-league, he has no proven experience in a setting in which he will be under pressure to succeed. The only answer to our current predicament is to appoint a manager who has the credentials and experience to command respect and the confidence to take on the rest of L1.

A manager who is inexperienced and inexpensive may suit our owner but, despite the advice he is getting, it will show he has learned nothing.

He's a much better option than some mentioned over the last week. If anyone thinks there is a big gap between where we are now and the better non-league teams then they are deluded. He has my support if it happens.

That's the entire point.

Where we are now is not ******* good enough.

We should not be at the bottom of the basement division seeking a non-league manager to keep us there.

We should be seeking a manager with football league promotion experience to get us back towards the top end of league 1 with a future plan in place for promotion back to the Championship where we have almost 50 seasons of history.

I will not accept 'we are where we are' and I feel sorry for anyone who does. I don't mean to insinuate you do but your post was a good opportunity to touch on this.

Guest TommyMac
despite the advice he is getting, it will show he has learned nothing.

Wasn't it reported that Smurthwaite would seek the advice of Phil Sproson and PS recommended Askey?

Seems NS chooses the wrong advisors.

I would not have thought that Askey has achieved enough in non league to warrant consideration. But what do I know?

As I've said on here a lot, picking a new manager is like pinning a tail on a donkey blindfolded. It's a shot in the dark and a hiding to nothing.

We all have to start somewhere. And experience is no guarantee of success. Caldwell and Wilson both have abject failure written all over their recent CVs. The new lads at Lincoln have done really well. Rudge was an unknown before coming here. Adams failed abysmally at Tranmere. No-one knows what could happen.

I do tend towards an experienced guy who knows the ropes because the only thing that bothers me now is us staying up next May. I'd take third bottom now.

But picking the next manage is very hard and very risky and not an easy task.

2 or 3 people have advised Askey though, the bloke on radio stoke on a Saturday World of Sport around 1:30 said he was the man for the job last week before Brown was sacked. You would assume Adams would have recommended him or certainly not been against it if hes the DOF.

It wont be easy, Vale are a fairly big fish at its lowest ebb in league two and pressure will be on. If he is negative in how he sets teams up that suggests he has his teams well drilled and organised which (today aside apparently) we have been dire with this season. Opposition fans have generally commented that we have some good players that you can see are decent but look massively disorganised.

He might with Adams on board be the man who can sort it. I think thats key as MA does have the experience to help him.

2 or 3 people have advised Askey though, the bloke on radio stoke on a Saturday World of Sport around 1:30 said he was the man for the job last week before Brown was sacked. You would assume Adams would have recommended him or certainly not been against it if hes the DOF.

It wont be easy, Vale are a fairly big fish at its lowest ebb in league two and pressure will be on. If he is negative in how he sets teams up that suggests he has his teams well drilled and organised which (today aside apparently) we have been dire with this season. Opposition fans have generally commented that we have some good players that you can see are decent but look massively disorganised.

He might with Adams on board be the man who can sort it. I think thats key as MA does have the experience to help him.

Yeah , mickey has the experience of taking tranmere into non league & askey managing in non league ... sweet

Not sure who people expect us to get right now. People like Adkins, Coleman, ainsworth and cotteril are pie in the sky, some because they won't drop to the basement of league 2, others because there is no reason to move from where they are. My choice would be aspin though. Maybe Powell is another possibility with him being out of a job. But even that's probably a long shot. We had the chance to appoint a number of better candidates than we will have now when Adams left, then page, then Bruno. We had our chances. We have less options now.

I was thinking along the same lines. I think if Mickey comes in as DoF then it might just work, but without him we need to be looking at someone with lower league experience not none league

experience costs money i cant see norman spending a lot on an experienced manager :(

the next manager is the most important in the history of PVFC he gets it wrong and we will slip from the EFL i hope hes going all out to get somebody with Lg1 & Lg2 experience i really do

Archived