onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bye bye Uber

Bea Smith

Advert

Uber are setting up the infrastructure for driverless cars. In countries like China firms like Audi are also doing similar things. In 20 year there will not be taxi drivers. I understand where taxi drivers are coming from but they will go the same way as now and arrow makers and steam engine drivers. There are a few coties with driverless cars and a lot of countries where driverless trains are normal.
The DLR is a driverless railway in London.

I expect them to win on appeal or get their licence back sooner rather than later....the grounds for refusal seem very thin.

The black cab industry in London is one of the most protectionist in the UK and they are well aware that with the rise of satnav technology the need for the knowledge is much diminished..if not eliminated completely. It feels like a decision made for the benefit of the service provider (black taxi cabs)...not the service user.

Here's an article from a few months ago by the notoriously left wing Daily Mail, about Boris' attempts to regulate Uber and the pressure he was put under by Cameron and Osborne to not do so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4347676/David-Cameron-s-chum-ocracy-links-Uber-bosses.html

Aside from editing the London Evening Standard, Osborne is employed by an investment fund called Blackrock who just happen to be huge investors in Uber.

Interesting https://medium.com/@paul_a_smith/black-cab-drivers-sexual-assault-and-why-you-should-always-read-the-data-7c71fc7c49b5

As the article says

My point isn’t to defend Uber; they’ve behaved appallingly in the past and there’s no excuse for not abiding by the rules of the regulator. My point is that if public safety is truly at stake, then I expect discussion and decisions based on facts — not politics or agendas.

Great news that Uber is losing its London licence. A victory for decent taxi drivers and bad news for alleged criminals. Let's hope more places quickly get rid of this scourge of the highways.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

1) You can see the driver before they turn up and how they are rated, black cabs you have no idea

2) Your journey is tracked and therefore safer, black cabs are not

3) It is far cheaper

Seems a no brainer to me

1) You can see the driver before they turn up and how they are rated, black cabs you have no idea

2) Your journey is tracked and therefore safer, black cabs are not

3) It is far cheaper

Seems a no brainer to me

There are benefits to using black cabs just as there are benefits to using the likes of Uber...drawbacks to both too. If Uber isn't meeting the regulations then it should not be allowed to trade until it does....but the model it follows should not prevent it from trading just cos it (for example) hurts the black cab industry..if the black cab industry is significantly better and seen as value for money it will thrive.

Comrade Bea will sign after the party conference

Very relevant - you'll make ***** jealous if you give me more attention than him you naughty little man. Still, I suppose you cant help it.

Even if uber do carry on eventually, it will make them adhere to the regulations more, and send a warning to other multinational anti-British ******.

Archived