onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Micky Adams autobiography

Doha

Advert

A note on copyright:

This is a book of 432 pages and the opening post contains a dozen paragraphs. As I understand copyright law (thanks to original poster Doha for sending me links) you are allowed to quote as long as "the extent of the quotation is no more than is required by the specific purpose for which it is used".

In this case, there have been 12-odd quotes used as part of a discussion about his time at Vale. It's a tiny portion of a 412 page book that deals with his time at many other clubs so I think it's fair enough.

I would also argue that far from breaching copyright, these quotes may encourage people to buy the book to read the full story (I know I am going to get a copy) so it's actually helping the market the book not damage sales.

Finally, I also think it's valid that in light of some of the claims (which shed new light on some incidents) you need the quotes to be able to form a viewpoint. How can you (for instance) talk about Micky Adams' view on Keith Ryder or Norman Smurthwaite without those quotes?

Thanks,

Rob

p.s. for anyone looking to buy the book, it is published by these people - https://www.bitebackpublishing.com/books/micky-adams and is available online (Amazon link for the Kindle version here though other bookshops are available - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micky-Adams-My-Life-Football/dp/1785902423 ) and I think it's on sale in high street stores too.

Don't think I don't find all the above interesting and will probably get the book but isn't it a breach of copyright?

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Breach of Copyright..it is..suggest Admin remove or Doha paraphrases

Nope. I checked before posting.

Copyright Act 1988 -

Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work or of a performance of a work, does not infringe any copyright in the work provided that it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement

Copyright in a work is not infringed by the use of a quotation from the work (whether for criticism or review or otherwise) provided that—

(a)

the work has been made available to the public,

(b)

the use of the quotation is fair dealing with the work,

©

the extent of the quotation is no more than is required by the specific purpose for which it is used, and

(d)

the quotation is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement (unless this would be impossible for reasons of practicality or otherwise).

All of those conditions have been satisfied.

The stuff about Keith Ryder is also an eye opener. Although I'd temporarily forgotten about the bloke, I thought who the hell is Keith when I first read the quotes then I clicked.:laugh: A bag of used notes, it's like he'd just done a deal or something. Makes you wonder how on earth the administrators picked him as the prefered bidder:huh:

I've always said you couldn't write some of the things that go on at Vale it really is a case of 'Only at the Vale'!:ohmy:

The insolvency report filed at CH on 13.02.15 makes interesting reading if you haven't seen it already. This was his accountancy company that a lot of money from a pensions scam passed through.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06620975/filing-history

Thanks for that. Sounds like he literally disappeared off the face of the earth and even the liquidators couldn't find him.

Nope. I checked before posting.

Copyright Act 1988 -

Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work or of a performance of a work, does not infringe any copyright in the work provided that it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement

Copyright in a work is not infringed by the use of a quotation from the work (whether for criticism or review or otherwise) provided that—

(a)

the work has been made available to the public,

(b)

the use of the quotation is fair dealing with the work,

©

the extent of the quotation is no more than is required by the specific purpose for which it is used, and

(d)

the quotation is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement (unless this would be impossible for reasons of practicality or otherwise).

All of those conditions have been satisfied.

You have been selective with the full copyright law and my friend with MSc in such matters disagrees with your interpretation..but hey ho...not my problem and I'm looking forward to reading it..

Archived