onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rudgie

TheBogieMan

Advert

I think people 'upstairs' are a bad idea at our level. In my opinion, we need a competent and experienced lower league manager to get what is a good squad, a mid table finish. Then we look to the future. Garlick is capable of that.
Fair enough, Posh have done OK with Fry, but he has been there a long time.

He signed Ronnie Jepson for free. Sold him for £80k. Spent that on Robin Van der laan. Sold him for £400k and Lee Mills. Spent the £400k on Jon McCarthy. Sold Mills for £1 million. Sold McCarthy for £1.5 million. Bought Ainsworth for £500k sold him for £2 million. That is a net gain of £4 million whilst taking us to the brink of the play offs for the Prem league. Oh dont forget all the others. Darren Beckford top scorer 4 seasons running and a transfer profit of 6000% yes six thousand per cent. The record of John Rudge is not up for discussion and some of the disrespectful comments on this thread are at the height of uninformed biased pointless twaddle.

Oh come on now stop it,dont let FACTS get in the way of some loon on here

Tanks was fit for Wembley, and had been for a while. If I was Tanks, maybe I would hold some grudges, given the way he was treated by a lot of fans, but that's a different subject altogether...

Which period of time when you were supporting did we play better football and have a better manager. Genuinely intrigued what answer you could possibly give.

I would never disrespect either of those two as players but you have to agree that Glover was a poor manager who should never have been given the job. He simply wasn't up to it. That's not disrespect - it's simply my honest opinion of his abilities - brilliant footballer, poor manager.

Maybe you wouldn't, but many have. Manager at a difficult time, but never suited to the role, and I advocated his sacking. There's been hatred towards him on here though.

I had the good fortune to meet Rudgie in the Vale shop with my wife and kids about an hour or so before kick off one season. He clearly had more important things on his mind but he took the time to say hello as we were standing at the counter. A real gentleman of the old school.

I recall those days as the best ever in my long time supporting the Vale and I'm not sure we will ever see the like again. His squad building, team selection and tactics were usually spot on. I can't ever remember seeing such flowing play or quality of football. In those days, it was, usually, a joy to be a Vale fan.

Most clubs find a way to remember their greatest and we should do the same. Taking advice from someone who's had such success in football would do us no harm at all and Norman would certainly benefit. I'd feel a whole lot better than I do at the moment if I knew he was listening to someone like Rudgie.

Same as me in a way,the night of my reception he also had a family party to go to but him and Del came to my reception and spent a few hours there before getting off to his family,that made the day so special for me,as i said its hard to find a nicer man

Which period of time when you were supporting did we play better football and have a better manager. Genuinely intrigued what answer you could possibly give.

Less of the past tense, please. I'm sure you enjoy a great deal of laughter when I say that I thought we played some great football under rudge, but we couldn't fail to. At times he underachieved based on the players at his disposal.

I too have great memories of the 90's. At no point since has the club been in such good shape, with the clout to compete at a decent level. Horton did a good job, and we uncovered some gems during his time.

IF John Rudge is happy to offer advice to the club Norm & co would be incredibly stupid not to take him up on it. He is very respected and well connected throughout football and has vast experience. Anyone who doesn't think he was successfully influential at all the clubs he's been at is badly mistaken and his sad demise at the Vale was down to the behaviour of Billy who had resorted to communicating with Rudge in writing only. It's no wonder we were struggling in a league that, for a club of Vale's size, demands everyone to pull together and perform to the best of their abilities. It was a great pity because when Billy and Rudgie DID pull together their achievements were superb giving us the best spell in our history, both on and off the pitch.

Rudge knows what he's doing, he should be consulted as to what we need to turn things around. Also, don't forget, advice is exactly that it doesn't have to be taken or acted upon if you don't agree with it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using the onevalefan mobile app

Tanks was fit for Wembley, and had been for a while. If I was Tanks, maybe I would hold some grudges, given the way he was treated by a lot of fans, but that's a different subject altogether...

Just checked the records. We played West Brom away on 5th March. Tanks got himself sent off in that game. Stokes had to play in the next game which we won against Southend on 9th March. He kept his place in the next match against Stoke which we also won on 12th March. Then came the Anglo-Italian Final on 17th March. Why change a winning team? Perhaps Tanks would have played, if fit, if he hadn't got that red card???

Archived