onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rudgie

TheBogieMan

Looking to the past may be pointless, but rewriting it as a load of vindictive rubbish and posting this absolute inane dross is unforgiveable.

There is no need to refute your points, everyone who has been a Vale fan for any time will know they are ridiculous - just tell us how much Rudge spent and how much he got in transfer fees - then try telling people Bell was the hero. Bell was the luckiest chairman ever, and if you check - he did NOT appoint Rudge, he inherited a gem undeservedly.

Vindictive? No. I'm expressing an opinion that that many of the good (and there were also some dreadful) signings weren't down to Rudge. Some of the wages we paid were huge, and our teams under Rudge under performed when we reached Division 1.

Believe it or not, I was ejected from a game vs Reading away for protesting in favour of JR and anti-Bell. Funny old game.

Advert

Vindictive? No. I'm expressing an opinion that that many of the good (and there were also some dreadful) signings weren't down to Rudge. Some of the wages we paid were huge, and our teams under Rudge under performed when we reached Division 1.

Believe it or not, I was ejected from a game vs Reading away for protesting in favour of JR and anti-Bell. Funny old game.

I wish we could 'under-perform' the same way now. Routine wins against the Leicesters and WBA's, draws at Upton park (saving 2 penalties once), a fixture list including Leeds, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesboro, Birmingham, Stoke City (didn't under-perform againste them !) nterspersed with such rubbish as Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Derby, Southampton, Leeds, Watford, Spurs and los of others in the Cup - all done whilst spending something like £3m or less in total over 15 years and getting about £10million back to pay for biscuits.

John Rudge was not perfect, and of course a few of his signings were less than perfect too, but not many. Vale fans were proud of their team, their manager and their results when Rudgie ruled the roost and we will always be thankful for that.

One thing most Vale fans appreciate too was that he was the finest gentleman and ambassador for the club, an honest manof integrity who made the name Port Vale a popular one, and who was respected by just about everyone in football from Sir Alex Ferguson (who publicly applauded him) to the entire staff at Vale Park and just about every player he signed and developed.

I'm glad to hear you supported JR in preference to Bell, but why not remember the huge and unequalled contribution Rudge made, sadly the chances are we will never see the like of it again.

I wish we could 'under-perform' the same way now. Routine wins against the Leicesters and WBA's, draws at Upton park (saving 2 penalties once), a fixture list including Leeds, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesboro, Birmingham, Stoke City (didn't under-perform againste them !) nterspersed with such rubbish as Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Derby, Southampton, Leeds, Watford, Spurs and los of others in the Cup - all done whilst spending something like £3m or less in total over 15 years and getting about £10million back to pay for biscuits.

John Rudge was not perfect, and of course a few of his signings were less than perfect too, but not many. Vale fans were proud of their team, their manager and their results when Rudgie ruled the roost and we will always be thankful for that.

One thing most Vale fans appreciate too was that he was the finest gentleman and ambassador for the club, an honest manof integrity who made the name Port Vale a popular one, and who was respected by just about everyone in football from Sir Alex Ferguson (who publicly applauded him) to the entire staff at Vale Park and just about every player he signed and developed.

I'm glad to hear you supported JR in preference to Bell, but why not remember the huge and unequalled contribution Rudge made, sadly the chances are we will never see the like of it again.

And the man I remember wasn't the gentleman you describe. But still, less of that the better.

Dear god no. He's a thousand years old, and towards the end was absolutely dire. In any capacity, he'd be a disaster. He's just left Hull after all, and we know how they got on last season. Let's just get past ex-Vale players and managers, for heaven's sake.

Plus, my experience of the bloke is that he's a complete creep. And he's been stealing a living for far too long in my eyes.

the man is a football legend. he knows more about football and port vale than anyone whos been at the club for the past 10yrs. any advice from him would be welcomed by anyone who knows football, knows john rudge, and loves the vale.

Sent from my SM-A310F using the onevalefan mobile app

He signed Ronnie Jepson for free. Sold him for £80k. Spent that on Robin Van der laan. Sold him for £400k and Lee Mills. Spent the £400k on Jon McCarthy. Sold Mills for £1 million. Sold McCarthy for £1.5 million. Bought Ainsworth for £500k sold him for £2 million. That is a net gain of £4 million whilst taking us to the brink of the play offs for the Prem league. Oh dont forget all the others. Darren Beckford top scorer 4 seasons running and a transfer profit of 6000% yes six thousand per cent. The record of John Rudge is not up for discussion and some of the disrespectful comments on this thread are at the height of uninformed biased pointless twaddle.

not 2 mention the money he made on earle guppy taylor etc...

I'm clearly in the wrong place, anyway. But ask yourself what Rudge would do with this team, under these conditions. The landscape of football, and the club, is very different. Looking back to past times when we were blessed with superbly talented players is neither helpful or practical.

And I won't be swayed by any of you. As a person, I thought John Rudge was a creep. Call him a legend all you want.

calling john rudge a creep is defamation of character. dont know what ur issue with him is, but if u have negative views on him it will be because he also knows what a clueless oik you really are

Jesus Christ, he's now using the fact that we missed out on promotion to the prem as a reason that he wasn't very good. A club he took over on he way down to the basement division. A club that is now currently in that division again, at the the bottom of it. And he's saying rudge wasn't very good because he didn't get us to the prem. Bu Horton was the greatest manager in vales history. There are no words!

Fine. You're welcome to your views, and we share many great memories. But we should have been promoted to division 1 a year sooner. And should have made it to the premier league that year we missed out on the play offs. We were an incredible side.

I think you have just given the best evidence there is as to how good a manager he was...he took us to the brink of the playoffs when up against the likes of Bolton, Ipswich, Sheff U, Crystal Palace,Portsmouth, QPR, Norwich, Man C...objective facts not subjective opinion

As to John Rudge personally, I don't know him, you may have bad experiences of him but for me you need to explain how they would in any way disqualify him from being the right person to advise Norman.

Sir John engineered several victories over Stoke and other notable FA Cup victories. More historic were the 2 promotions - the first one that ended our exile from Division 2 and prompted joyous scenes in Burslem, and the superb second that followed play-off heartache the year before. Very few teams overcome that disappoinment, and we did.

I'm sure I read Rudgie say himself that he should have left before he did, and I think I'm right in saying we used in excess of 40 players in his penultimate season (Berntsen, Horlaville and several chancers).

Obviously his managing days are long gone but I'd definitely use him in some capacity. He's one wily old fox - that story about how he signed Ian Taylor is Vale gold!

Archived