onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Director of football

RichG

It wont be any of Ainsworth, Coleman or Askey, unless Ainsworth/Coleman/Askey apply for the job.

Smurf said in his interview last night that he would not be approaching any manager who is currently employed, however, if a manager who is currently in employment applied for the position and was shortlisted then he would be interviewed.

He then said that he wants to see who applies for the job first and may only approach another club and speak to the chairman about a manager if those who apply aren't suitable (or words to that effect).

So it could be, I don't care who applies for it, we must get the right man.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Smurf said in his interview last night that he would not be approaching any manager who is currently employed, however, if a manager who is currently in employment applied for the position and was shortlisted then he would be interviewed.

I didn't think that you were supposed to approach managers currently employed even though I know it happens

I know who do people thinks scouted and signed Stokes players between 1999 and 2012. He was part of their rise as he was ours.

Correct MA could do this job for us I can't see a problem tbh. Even if a younger less experienced manager came to the vale MA will oversee most of it anyway

We have to start somewhere, put what's happened behind us and pray the next thing works

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

This Director of Football is a load of rubbish and typical of Smurthwaite to muddy the water.

What experienced manager of any pedigree wants a DoF sitting in the background ? Only a young untried manager will take any job under any circumstances to get a foot on the ladder.

Why should any experienced manager want a lending hand,it's quite insulting to tell an Ainsworth Coleman or Davies how they should be doing the job.

Why not use the DoF salary and costs and put it towards employing a top class manager ?

This Director of Football is a load of rubbish and typical of Smurthwaite to muddy the water.

What experienced manager of any pedigree wants a DoF sitting in the background ? Only a young untried manager will take any job under any circumstances to get a foot on the ladder.

Why should any experienced manager want a lending hand,it's quite insulting to tell an Ainsworth Coleman or Davies how they should be doing the job.

Why not use the DoF salary and costs and put it towards employing a top class manager ?

You missed out the word 'cheap' between 'young' and 'untried manager'. Smurf knows exactly what this move means for applications.

The answer to your last question is that a top class manager won't stand for the interference, modest budget and stinginess and will want some quality players that cost money. Maybe also his own No 2 and others to make up a management team.

You missed out the word 'cheap' between 'young' and 'untried manager'. Smurf knows exactly what this move means for applications.

The answer to your last question is that a top class manager won't stand for the interference, modest budget and stinginess and will want some quality players that cost money. Maybe also his own No 2 and others to make up a management team.

The role of Director of Football can be flexible and unlikely to be full time. So appointed now to help get a new manager, act as an interim manager, sort out the back room then likely to be temporarily full time. Once arrangements are re-established with a new manager it becomes a part time board role. We aren't a big club with a lot of money to spend on transfers and scouting, so everything should be proportionate I think Smurf should get some credit for a sensible approach.

He's not likely to admit he's doing something dodgy is he! I think you miss the irony of my posts.

No, I appreciated it, :smile: it was by no means a dig at your post - just adding a little sarcasm to it. People who do dodgy things (not that I am naming anyone) often don't need to admit it - they get caught out by their own lies and forget what stories they have told.

The role of Director of Football can be flexible and unlikely to be full time. So appointed now to help get a new manager, act as an interim manager, sort out the back room then likely to be temporarily full time. Once arrangements are re-established with a new manager it becomes a part time board role. We aren't a big club with a lot of money to spend on transfers and scouting, so everything should be proportionate I think Smurf should get some credit for a sensible approach.

Sorry I have to disagree,why not just employ a seasoned experienced manager who knows what is required ?

To me its just complicating the problem.

I generally agree with the DoF / Head Coach model but it's a long term strategy and the people who put it into place have to know what they want from it and have a vision of how it's going to work. I don't think we have that. If we're going to do it because we've seen other people doing it and it looks like the sort of thing we should be doing as well, it's probably a bad idea.

Any long term thinking will have to be put on the back burner as a very pressing short term priority has recently been thrust upon us: the task of staying in the Football League.

If you were going do it for the right reasons of credentials over the cheaper options, then I think it could be really good. A DOF could have their manager in mind and be confident they could work together and move forward.

Given NS's clear attitude - I can only see a cheaper part-time DOF topping up his pension, with some random less costly manager.

Happy to be proved wrong Norman, though you fill me with zero confidence you will be any different than any other previous occasion

Archived