onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Director of football

RichG

Advert

I don't like the role of Director of Football and can't honestly think of a case where it's actually worked. There always seems to be conflict between the Director who's generally an old hand who's been there and done that and wants to do things his way and the manager who has his own ideas. And I'm never sure what the Director of Football role actually means and what he actually does and I get the impression that half the time, neither do they.

And in this particularly case I'm pretty sure that Smurfwaite, a man who admits himself that he doesn't know football, likes the sound of a Director of Football but doesn't have a clue exactly how the new role will fit into the running of the club.

Wide and varied experience of all 4 leagues, managed promotions of Brighton, Fulham, and a not to be repeated promotion of Leicester to the Prem whilst in Admin and transfer embargo. Also the other side with a few relegations. So should know the reasons why these things happen. Knows the club and the owner. Style of football - effective and maybe old-fashioned but it is results that count in our position. However, has he agreed yet?

I don't like the role of Director of Football and can't honestly think of a case where it's actually worked. There always seems to be conflict between the Director who's generally an old hand who's been there and done that and wants to do things his way and the manager who has his own ideas. And I'm never sure what the Director of Football role actually means and what he actually does and I get the impression that half the time, neither do they.

And in this particularly case I'm pretty sure that Smurfwaite, a man who admits himself that he doesn't know football, likes the sound of a Director of Football but doesn't have a clue exactly how the new role will fit into the running of the club.

personally speaking I think you would be surprised how many clubs have this figure in the background that is the 'director of football'. What we tend to hear of is when it goes wrong. if you look at some of the top clubs they have these figures in the background that dont interfere in the day to day coaching but act as a sounding board/ scout / advisor to the manager if required and also work as a go between from the owners to the manager. If you look at even clubs like Man Utd Ferguson and Charlton are consulted by the board on all footballing matters and really do act as 'directors of football', same with Pleat at Spurs,Rudge at Stoke, Fry at Peterborough (think of the amount of talent they have sold). For older more experience managers it can be a great way to step back from the coaching pitch and offer advice when needed, watch a lot of football and can be a massive plus to a manager to know you are going to deal with someone on the board who understands the game.

In our situation where the owner admittedly knows nothing, dealing with him as a manager must be very tricky as he is thinking purely about the business any discussion. Going to Adams with a request for funds to purchase a player that has become available and having him approach the owner knowing the owner trusts his judgement is a far better option than knocking on his door asking for money. For newer managers it could stop crazy situations like the loans and signings carnage we have seen from Brown where Adams may well have said look you can bring these guys in but do we need them and just brought some focus to the panic.

Personally I think I improves our chances of getting a decent manager, as by Adams own admission he has no interest in the day to day management position so he is no threat to a manager brought in.

personally speaking I think you would be surprised how many clubs have this figure in the background that is the 'director of football'. What we tend to hear of is when it goes wrong. if you look at some of the top clubs they have these figures in the background that dont interfere in the day to day coaching but act as a sounding board/ scout / advisor to the manager if required and also work as a go between from the owners to the manager. If you look at even clubs like Man Utd Ferguson and Charlton are consulted by the board on all footballing matters and really do act as 'directors of football', same with Pleat at Spurs,Rudge at Stoke, Fry at Peterborough (think of the amount of talent they have sold). For older more experience managers it can be a great way to step back from the coaching pitch and offer advice when needed, watch a lot of football and can be a massive plus to a manager to know you are going to deal with someone on the board who understands the game.

In our situation where the owner admittedly knows nothing, dealing with him as a manager must be very tricky as he is thinking purely about the business any discussion. Going to Adams with a request for funds to purchase a player that has become available and having him approach the owner knowing the owner trusts his judgement is a far better option than knocking on his door asking for money. For newer managers it could stop crazy situations like the loans and signings carnage we have seen from Brown where Adams may well have said look you can bring these guys in but do we need them and just brought some focus to the panic.

Personally I think I improves our chances of getting a decent manager, as by Adams own admission he has no interest in the day to day management position so he is no threat to a manager brought in.

But the examples you have quoted are at a completely different level and with huge resources that we simply do not have. I can sort of understand the need at Premier League clubs who's net is spread worldwide in the lookout for player and who's playing staff is huge.

And if the Chairman doesn't trust the judgement of the manager, why the hell did he appoint him in the first place?

But the examples you have quoted are at a completely different level and with huge resources that we simply do not have. I can sort of understand the need at Premier League clubs who's net is spread worldwide in the lookout for player and who's playing staff is huge.

And if the Chairman doesn't trust the judgement of the manager, why the hell did he appoint him in the first place?

I'm sorry but its an excellent idea and Stoke didn't always havs money neither did peterbrough.

Archived