onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

Portvale4

Advert

Tom is trying hard. As a target man, in a team whose game plan is him, he is doing ok at that role. But he is the main striker and spends 95% of the game back to goal. He has no pace for a ball through or over the top. He has missed the goal chances he has had.

I would not have resigned him. But I really hope a new manager can find a partner up front and varying systems of play to get the best out of him. Keep working hard.

You take me the **** highest paid player and he can't score and can't move. Forget the fact he was once brilliant as now he isn't. He is terrible and if he was called John smith he would be slated

I know. He needs to become Akinfenwa 2. But if not that is the end, impact player at best. Sport is a tough place, hard to be sympathetic.

I like Tom Pope. The man will always be a Vale legend.

Watching him this season, if this was not Tom Pope but a signing we had never heard of, he would have been dropped weeks ago and fans would be questioning why on earth we signed him.

He's had his day in league football.

It's quite sad and painful to watch, really.

Today's defence made two clear errors and one led to a goal. I thought we were better today and if we concede one per game and score two every game we will be promoted.

And it was Tom's man that got free at the back stick that led to the goal. Awful when he left last time, awful when he played against us for Bury (who were desperate to get shut on a free 12 months before we were daft enough to take him back) and even worse this season.

Never quick, but his fitness level is dropping in line with his expanding girth!

Truly awful signing which was aimed at selling tickets for all the muppets who think his performances in 2012-2013 are the real Tom a Pope. Those days ain't ever coming back and to tie up our top wage on him was barmy.

If he wasn't local, a fan and had a good record over an 18 month period he would be truly slaughtered throughout games and on here.

Toms a club legend but like any other player, can't be immune from criticism

I love Tom and always will but I thought when he left for Bury, it was the right time to leave for both Tom & Vale to move on. Coming back feels like getting back with an ex then realising why you split up in the first place.

The blame for that sits squarely with Brown though. Tom always wanted to come back. He was hardly going to say no to a 2 year contract.

Personally though pope did well yesterday, won free kicks won flick ons held the ball up, got back and defended,won a few tackles tracking back, put crosses into the box from the wing,

hes not our worst player and the simplistic view is the defence are crap as we concede all the time the forwards are crap as we don't score it sometimes isn't that way-- we have no midfield pope isn't our best player nor our worst the failure is we don't have a strong midfield which mb failed to get sorted this means other players in other positions get pulled out of position to cover.

Notice benteke hasn't scored yet for palace, its about creating chances and if most strikers in this league score say 1 in 4 that's 40 chances in a 10 game period which I don't think we will have created in the whole team by then.

Hes not the player of yester year this is true but there are another 10 playing with him to.

Personally though pope did well yesterday, won free kicks won flick ons held the ball up, got back and defended,won a few tackles tracking back, put crosses into the box from the wing,

hes not our worst player and the simplistic view is the defence are crap as we concede all the time the forwards are crap as we don't score it sometimes isn't that way-- we have no midfield pope isn't our best player nor our worst the failure is we don't have a strong midfield which mb failed to get sorted this means other players in other positions get pulled out of position to cover.

Notice benteke hasn't scored yet for palace, its about creating chances and if most strikers in this league score say 1 in 4 that's 40 chances in a 10 game period which I don't think we will have created in the whole team by then.

Hes not the player of yester year this is true but there are another 10 playing with him to.

Agree - a different tactics and a different formation from someone new, we may see more of an impact we all know Tom can make...

Archived