onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

Robbie Earle's Perm

Advert

very sad and disappointed if we appoint Aspin he has no more experience than Askey but after reading all the comments on who ever appoints is dead before they take the job as the fans all have different many people in mind who ever is maimed will be wrong no win situation

Now not for one minute am I accepting that Smurf is/has done the right things yet for this club, BUT do any one of us for certain know exactly what budget he has set for a new manager, whether it be a novice or experienced one? Do any of us know for certain who has applied for the manager's job? Do any one of us know for certain what is in Smurfs mind or what talks he has actually held with whom?

There is bound to be speculation but at this moment in time a lot of inaccurate/guesswork/slurs and thoughts have been posted on here. No one other than Smurf himself honestly knows what he is going to do and yes I agree maybe even he doesn't!

Until such time that an announcement concerning the new manager is made it looks like the Vale fanbase is getting at each other. Why? Because we do not yet know the facts?

I repeat I am not a Smurf fan and would like him to sell this Club for his and our sake ASAP but until he does we have to attempt to keep sane and real and only deal in facts, not conjecture or wild assumptions.

Only when we know for sure who is taking over can we then understand what the blue overlord really does see as our future. It will be transparent then what he sincerely feels about Vale and his investment because clearly at the moment his speculation has dropped like a stone and SURELY any businessman would not retain his business if he knew full well he was going to lose and lose badly?

I think the names in contention say it all about what funds we're working with.

very sad and disappointed if we appoint Aspin he has no more experience than Askey but after reading all the comments on who ever appoints is dead before they take the job as the fans all have different many people in mind who ever is maimed will be wrong no win situation

Aspin's actually won things, as opposed to Askey, who's only positive points seems to be he's done decently on a small budget, finishing midtable.

I've given up hope of an League manager like Powell, so looking at the avaiable options of either Assistants or non-league men, Aspin or Bell would have to do. Its far from what I want but when we're being run in such a shambles beggars can't be choosers.

Why would anyone maime the new manager?:wink:

If we are going the non-league route, I quite rate Billy Heath from Halifax.

It shows the state of our club when this is the discussion though.

2 promotions and a FA trophy with North Ferriby, and a promotion in his first season with Halifax and now has them in the playoffs in their first season back in the conference.

We were stung with Sinnott but it does make me chuckle to see so many people taking his stint as conclusive, peer-reviewed proof that non-league managers don't work.

We're not going to get Powell cus Smurf's a fool. I just hope of the cheap options we stumble across a gem.

Good enough for me. Whoever Smurf appoints is a risk at this point, cus he can't/won't shell out for Powell, as much as it pains me.

Might as well go for the guy with over a decade of first-hand experience in League 2, and proven success developing youngsters whilst at Vale.

Well when 55 year old Bob Paisley was appointed to his first management job I guess if we had social media then everyone would have complained about how rubbish he was. Of course he went on to become the most successful English manager in Europe, EVER. When Martin O'Neill was managing Shepshed Charterhouse people may have thought, so what! When 30 year old Brian Clough was at Hartlepool, it would have been right to say what a loser, he is at a rubbish club. When Ipswich gave Alf Ramsey his first job in football, first ever manager, I bet all their supporters were saying how will this guy with no experience get us out of the third division. Seven years later they were the Champions of England.

Of course that journeyman manager who took charge at Carlisle, Grimsby and Workington and never won a thing at any of those clubs should really never have got another job in football. Perhaps just as well Liverpool decided to give that journeyman manager a job, Bill Shankly was his name.

Younger readers may not really know just how good these managers were, ok, but you have heard of Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger. As players they were non-entities, of course they must have just got lucky to become managers then.

For those who constantly say oh please don't employ an ex player, that never works, I should suggest that you look to see that Barcelona did rather well with a guy called Pep Guardiola.

Moral of my story, stop complaining, whingeing and moaning and disrespecting every name that is mentioned due to rumour, half baked intelligence and down right wind up in connection with the job of manager of my team Port Vale who I have supported all my life and always will.

Why not just keep your peace and wait to see who we appoint then give him all of our support to help get us back to glory days.

I remember managers being appointed here who, with their background if they were appointed now, would have been derided constantly, just as well for Gordon Lee, John McGrath and John Rudge that we did not have this social media non sense around then.

Ok rant over.

Colemans very first words in that interview..... 'He's a very good coach"

It's exactly what we have had before. We desperately need a 'manager'.

Well... you say this but I would argue the issues this squad has had in recent weeks in terms of disorganisation, switching off from set pieces, lack of movement suggests a good coach may prove to be a better manager for us than a manager who leaves coaching to his staff (likely Morgan and Ned!)

Colemans very first words in that interview..... 'He's a very good coach"

It's exactly what we have had before. We desperately need a 'manager'.

Good point ST. However, I've accepted that we're not going to get one. We've got to make do with whatever the clown in the boardroom decides.

I hope that the combined experience of Adams and Bell is enough to bundle us home. Its far from what I want from this saga but realistically we can't expect anymore when we have one of the worst chairman in the 92.

Well when 55 year old Bob Paisley was appointed to his first management job I guess if we had social media then everyone would have complained about how rubbish he was. Of course he went on to become the most successful English manager in Europe, EVER. When Martin O'Neill was managing Shepshed Charterhouse people may have thought, so what! When 30 year old Brian Clough was at Hartlepool, it would have been right to say what a loser, he is at a rubbish club. When Ipswich gave Alf Ramsey his first job in football, first ever manager, I bet all their supporters were saying how will this guy with no experience get us out of the third division. Seven years later they were the Champions of England.

Of course that journeyman manager who took charge at Carlisle, Grimsby and Workington and never won a thing at any of those clubs should really never have got another job in football. Perhaps just as well Liverpool decided to give that journeyman manager a job, Bill Shankly was his name.

Younger readers may not really know just how good these managers were, ok, but you have heard of Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger. As players they were non-entities, of course they must have just got lucky to become managers then.

For those who constantly say oh please don't employ an ex player, that never works, I should suggest that you look to see that Barcelona did rather well with a guy called Pep Guardiola.

Moral of my story, stop complaining, whingeing and moaning and disrespecting every name that is mentioned due to rumour, half baked intelligence and down right wind up in connection with the job of manager of my team Port Vale who I have supported all my life and always will.

Why not just keep your peace and wait to see who we appoint then give him all of our support to help get us back to glory days.

I remember managers being appointed here who, with their background if they were appointed now, would have been derided constantly, just as well for Gordon Lee, John McGrath and John Rudge that we did not have this social media non sense around then.

Ok rant over.

Kind of a strange one this. I've never quite understood the argument that just because something happened 50 years ago, we should accept it now.

You would agree that far more 'first-time' appointments go wrong than the special few you've handpicked? Glover, Foyle, Sinnott, Bruno, Brown all first job in the FL. I'm sure other clubs have the same.

The fans' concerns are completely understandable; we need a 'manager', a guy with a set vision who will do things his way based on previous success at this level.

The reasons the examples you've given are so familiar as its against the norm; unproven appointments usually go wrong, so they don't stick out as much as a Ramsey, or a Guardiola.

This appointment needs to minimise risk, and the sort of appointment we're going for isn't doing that.

However, as Smurf is a clown, I'd ruefully accept Bell or Aspin.

Archived