onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

Robbie Earle's Perm

I agree, not only do we have to pay the going rate, we have to convince a decent manager that the club has some sort of vision or direction that they can buy into.

That's exactly it isn't it?

I see playing budgets mentioned all the time and the fact ours is bigger than the likes of Accrington.

Doesn't matter on bit. The most important position at a club is the manager. And yet its the one that we seem to take very lightly.

I doubt, personally, that any of the players at Accrington get paid more then Coleman.

They invest in him, his philosophy and his game plans.

I'd have swapped pretty much every one of our players for theirs on Tuesday.

We just recruit random players who get good recommendations because we've got no idea what we're doing.

It's a rut I can't see us getting out of quickly.

This is the area we need to invest in.

Advert

To me the problem is not attracting an experienced manager to the club.

In the past we have interviewed a number of experienced managers who have applied for the job at vale park, and I am sure that on this occasion we have had experienced applicants even seeing our current predicament.

The problem seems to be that Smurf will only pay assistant managers wages (reported at 40k), in which when experienced managers find the out the salary their interest quickly dwindles, leaving the likes of the non-experienced managers and assistant managers vying for the job.

I'm sure I read a few years ago that v2001 payed Micky Adams in the region of 80k to manage the club. If this is true then why does Smurf think that 40k will suffice for a manager, when the going rate in the past was double?

Smurf said in his radio Stoke interview on the Monday night after Brown was sacked, that the club has never opted for the cheap option when it comes to managers, as Rob Page, Bruno and Browny were on decent money. 40k doesn't sound like decent money for a manager to me, seeing that the likes of Street, Tavares and Mbamba were all on way more than that last season.

Smurf also said that the club would not be relegated and he would pay whatever it takes to make sure of that. Smurf now has the opportunity to redeem himself in some way, but it all appears to just lip service again if 40k is actually the salary.

IMHO a Manager is the most important person at any club. Get the manager right and everything generally falls into place, get the manager wrong and everything generally falls apart which is what has happened to us since Micky left.

To me the problem is not attracting an experienced manager to the club.

In the past we have interviewed a number of experienced managers who have applied for the job at vale park, and I am sure that on this occasion we have had experienced applicants even seeing our current predicament.

The problem seems to be that Smurf will only pay assistant managers wages (reported at 40k), in which when experienced managers find the out the salary their interest quickly dwindles, leaving the likes of the non-experienced managers and assistant managers vying for the job.

I'm sure I read a few years ago that v2001 payed Micky Adams in the region of 80k to manage the club. If this is true then why does Smurf think that 40k will suffice for a manager, when the going rate in the past was double?

Smurf said in his radio Stoke interview on the Monday night after Brown was sacked, that the club has never opted for the cheap option when it comes to managers, as Rob Page, Bruno and Browny were on decent money. 40k doesn't sound like decent money for a manager to me, seeing that the likes of Street, Tavares and Mbamba were all on way more than that last season.

Smurf also said that the club would not be relegated and he would pay whatever it takes to make sure of that. Smurf now has the opportunity to redeem himself in some way, but it all appears to just lip service again if 40k is actually the salary.

IMHO a Manager is the most important person at any club. Get the manager right and everything generally falls into place, get the manager wrong and everything generally falls apart which is what has happened to us since Micky left.

Bruno was not on decent money.

Take the emotion out of it as an ex star, he has a superb win rate, over 40% at every club and average of 48%, been down in the NL for a good decade.

I know , only tiny bit of emotion involved , YESSSSSS!!!!!

Seriously though is record is up there with the best of the so called experienced expensive candidates

Prefer aspin over Coleman anyway thought interview after the game Tuesday smacked of a smug t@at my view anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Now not for one minute am I accepting that Smurf is/has done the right things yet for this club, BUT do any one of us for certain know exactly what budget he has set for a new manager, whether it be a novice or experienced one? Do any of us know for certain who has applied for the manager's job? Do any one of us know for certain what is in Smurfs mind or what talks he has actually held with whom?

There is bound to be speculation but at this moment in time a lot of inaccurate/guesswork/slurs and thoughts have been posted on here. No one other than Smurf himself honestly knows what he is going to do and yes I agree maybe even he doesn't!

Until such time that an announcement concerning the new manager is made it looks like the Vale fanbase is getting at each other. Why? Because we do not yet know the facts?

I repeat I am not a Smurf fan and would like him to sell this Club for his and our sake ASAP but until he does we have to attempt to keep sane and real and only deal in facts, not conjecture or wild assumptions.

Only when we know for sure who is taking over can we then understand what the blue overlord really does see as our future. It will be transparent then what he sincerely feels about Vale and his investment because clearly at the moment his speculation has dropped like a stone and SURELY any businessman would not retain his business if he knew full well he was going to lose and lose badly?

Archived