onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

Robbie Earle's Perm

An alternative view taken from the Macc Forum:

"If I were the Vale owner, which thankfully I'm not, then Askey is the one I would go for.

As a matter of historical accuracy Askey has managed in the league, at Macclesfield in 2003-04 between the tenures of Moss and Horton. He can manage to put together a team on a budget, he is loyal, he has family connections to the Vale, he started his career there, he lives locally, his sides play attractive football, he can find good players and sell them on upwards and he has been a successful relegation scrap before admittedly with Horton in charge.

Askey was probably plunged into the deep end too early at Macc having just finished his playing career and the team he had to manage consisted of his old team mates which might have made it difficult for him to exert his authority.

The thing which is against Askey is that the Vale fans don't want him. More fool them, I say."

Advert

ANY new manager is a risk

if inexperienced you can strike lucky ( eg Rudge ) or it can go pear shaped like our recent offerings.

supposedly experienced managers are no guarantee either and many occasions that option hasn't worked for clubs either ( eg Adams at Tranmere )

so IMO whoever comes in it is going to be unknown how it will turn out - and if anyone thinks even Mourino would definitely succeed at Vale in the present circumstances they are kidding themselves

until a few games or so in we will not know - however I do think a decision has to be made sooner rather than later to try to get at least some stability

fingers crossed and prayers etc

They are my thoughts also. Most of the time it's a club finding a manager that fits properly more than them succeeding elsewhere prior to them joining. That's why rookie managers have success just as much as experienced ones. They find the right fit and thrive.

That's why it's imperative we find the right fit for this club. Problem is, I'm not sure our owner knows what he wants which makes it hard for us to find a fit.

Askey would be my first choice right now. I'd also like Aspin or Ainsworth.

Don't want Powell, Allen or any other manager who has proven failure on their CV. A young hungry manager with the guidance of someone who has done it all before is perfect.

Ironically, Brown could have done that last season with an experienced head above him.

Port Vale's development squad coach Jimmy Bell has left the club to become assistant manager at Southport.

He'll work under John Coleman again, who he was number two for at*Accrington Stanley.

Jimmy told the club's official website: “I have taken up the opportunity to work alongside John Coleman at Southport. I worked with John over a seventeen or eighteen year period and we are very close and work quite well together.

“I have worked at Port Vale – an absolutely magnificent club – for the past six months and I have really enjoyed my time here.

“I had an understanding with the gaffer, Micky Adams, that if an opportunity like this came up he wouldn’t stand in my way - he has really looked after me.

“I have had a great set of lads and had Jordan Hugill come through and I think there will be one or two others and I think they will all find their level and do well in the game.

“I will join Southport as number two. It will be a difficult job and it was a really, really difficult choice for me to take.

“I have had a week of sleepless nights thinking about it because I have really enjoyed my time at Port Vale and have loved working under Micky and for such a big club.

“In the long haul, we would like to get Southport back on the map. We took over Accrington, who were a lot smaller and lower-league club than what Southport are now.

“Southport have a bigger fan base and they are really well run by Charlie Clapham, the Chairman, and his staff there.

“It is a bit of a blank canvas for us, but we know the catchment area, we have worked under these restraints and the things they have put in place so we know how to get a team going, though saying it and doing it are two different things.

“They are struggling a little bit down at the wrong end of the Conference. It’s a bit of a challenge, but it’s a good job for us.

“We have arranged a friendly for tonight against Stockport to assess and see what we have got so I start tonight and can’t go on the Christmas do, which is another bit of a downer.

“I would like to thank everybody at Port Vale, who have been absolutely magnificent, every single one, the staff, the players and everyone have made me feel really welcome and I am going to miss everyone.”

Vale boss Micky Adams also told the club's official website: “Jimmy has only been here for a short while but he has made a big impact and I would like to wish him well in the future.

“He did a very good job in the six months he was at Port Vale and I am sure he will continue to do a good job with John Coleman at Southport.”

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived