onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

Robbie Earle's Perm

They've already whittled it down a bit. As Micky said last night, they need to decide what kind of manager they want. I honestly don't think they've had a clue in the past, and just taken the easiest option. It's been 10 days, you'd think there was someone in place before Saturday though.

As for Micky, I've seen his potential role has been discussed on this thread. I've been in favour of a DoF role at the club in the past, and still am. Until Garlick came along, we had no expertise in running a football club. Now he's there now, but we need some stability off the pitch to set the strategy and run with it. The manager should then be appointed to fit within that strategy. You don't find a manager and then decide on a strategy.

I fear that we are heading towards the latter here, unless Garlick has something in place. None of the names at the top of the betting are great (Horton - Ugh, Westley - For the love of god, no). I don't know why Askey is getting such a negative reaction. Anyone who knows Macc Town well enough knows that Askey has done a good job under restrictive circumstances. Yes, he hasn't managed in the league, but if you're looking for a manager who ticks all the boxes, you could be waiting a long, long time. We're going to have to take a risk on one part of a manager's CV at some point. More important is that the new manager is a fit for this club and its fans. Managers may have failed elsewhere, but this could be the right club for them.

My choice would be Coleman, getting him to leave Accy for us right now might be a problem though!

We've developed a far more pressing short term priority (ie staying in the Football League) and I'm not sure we can allow ourselves to lose focus trying to roll out medium to long term plans at the same time. Is the profile of manager we need to keep ourselves in the FL compatible with working under a DoF? The DoF and the manager have to be aligned to the same vision.

Advert

We've developed a far more pressing short term priority (ie staying in the Football League) and I'm not sure we can allow ourselves to lose focus trying to roll out medium to long term plans at the same time. Is the profile of manager we need to keep ourselves in the FL compatible with working under a DoF? The DoF and the manager have to be aligned to the same vision.

I'm not as concerned as you by the looks of it of going down. I think we've got a decent set of players for this level. I think with something resembling a decent manager we'd be comfortably mid-table. I think it would be a mistake to ignore thinking for the medium to long term, a mistake we've made far too often in the past. Agreed there needs to be an aligned vision between a DoF and a manager. Can we find someone to do that? Absolutely.

If they started to do a good job why not?

Cos over a couple of matches you could get results more by fluke than design?

Don't get me wrong in not keeping on the current temp mgmt. we could in theory be getting rid of people who might have won the next 10 matches after their dismissal or who might go on to achieve great success elsewhere..that's a chance taken when letting anyone go.

But given the choice in our situation between a manager with a proven track record (even though it will almost inevitably include some failures) and experience and someone with no track record beyond a couple of wins and no experience which looks the most likely to do a good job?

I know that's an argument for the inexperienced never getting a chance at this level, but there is plenty of opportunity for them to get experience and success under their belts at a lower level and to then look to for a position in the league.

Cos over a couple of matches you could get results more by fluke than design?

Don't get me wrong in not keeping on the current temp mgmt. we could in theory be getting rid of people who might have won the next 10 matches after their dismissal or who might go on to achieve great success elsewhere..that's a chance taken when letting anyone go.

But given the choice in our situation between a manager with a proven track record (even though it will almost inevitably include some failures) and experience and someone with no track record beyond a couple of wins and no experience which looks the most likely to do a good job?

I know that's an argument for the inexperienced never getting a chance at this level, but there is plenty of opportunity for them to get experience and success under their belts at a lower level and to then look to for a position in the league.

And we could jump out of the frying pan into fire and more unhappy people on here.

This just sums up vale fans ambition, potentially settling for Chris Morgan as manager, and happy with Muppet weight controlling our club like a toy train set.

Can you say 100% that Morgan will fail?

Can you say 100% that a new experienced manager will be successful?

Didn't think so.

Redknapp Birmingham

Hodgson palace

Moyes Man Utd

Endless managers at Newcastle also

I don't see you've got a valid point tbh

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Can you say 100% that Morgan will fail?

Can you say 100% that a new experienced manager will be successful?

Didn't think so.

Redknapp Birmingham

Hodgson palace

Moyes Man Utd

Endless managers at Newcastle also

I don't see you've got a valid point tbh

In all likelyhood you can say the chances of it working are lower than a fresh appointment as this person already has input into the failure of this season and last. If you look at the track record with Vale-

Page was assistant and stepped up and failed, Brown stepped up and failed, Glover stepped up and failed, Grews record was awful taking charge, Foyle was also not great. All had input into an already struggling team. If we look at this team as a perfect example we are struggling defensively on a massive level with mistakes personally and tactically. Morgan is the defensive coach, would you trust him to run 4 units if hes currently struggling to coach 1?

Time to think like NFL teams really if the team is doing well then the coaches underneath are ready to step up and have a go at managing themselves, if the team is struggling the coaches and the head coach take responsibility. You rarely see an NFL owner allow the offensive coach for a losing nfl team take the rains and rightly so in my opinion.

If youre a department manager at work and your store and your department is struggling- they would likely fire the store manager over time, would you expect a promotion if your department was struggling? you would certainly think you had dropped on if they booted you upto store manager surely?

Experience of turning round a slide is probably the most desirable or experience of doing well in that division. How many teams opt for Big Sam purely because he has and can keep sides in the league? not many would go for the assistant manager over him

In all likelyhood you can say the chances of it working are lower than a fresh appointment as this person already has input into the failure of this season and last. If you look at the track record with Vale-

Page was assistant and stepped up and failed, Brown stepped up and failed, Glover stepped up and failed, Grews record was awful taking charge, Foyle was also not great. All had input into an already struggling team. If we look at this team as a perfect example we are struggling defensively on a massive level with mistakes personally and tactically. Morgan is the defensive coach, would you trust him to run 4 units if hes currently struggling to coach 1?

Time to think like NFL teams really if the team is doing well then the coaches underneath are ready to step up and have a go at managing themselves, if the team is struggling the coaches and the head coach take responsibility. You rarely see an NFL owner allow the offensive coach for a losing nfl team take the rains and rightly so in my opinion.

If youre a department manager at work and your store and your department is struggling- they would likely fire the store manager over time, would you expect a promotion if your department was struggling? you would certainly think you had dropped on if they booted you upto store manager surely?

All those points you make are fair comment and the NFL is a good model to put across your point but at the same time Morgan may not have agreed with brown on a lot of things he was trying but brown had the final say he may have been pig-headed and wouldn't listen to advice I don't know for sure. Morgan must know where players ought to play and their weaknesses and strengths also he may be tactically better then again I don't know for sure

I take your view on board though

I'm not as concerned as you by the looks of it of going down. I think we've got a decent set of players for this level. I think with something resembling a decent manager we'd be comfortably mid-table. I think it would be a mistake to ignore thinking for the medium to long term, a mistake we've made far too often in the past. Agreed there needs to be an aligned vision between a DoF and a manager. Can we find someone to do that? Absolutely.

I'm less confident as you are about the group of players. I don't think it's a well balanced squad at all, we don't look like we will score enough goals and we lack identity.

There are plenty of teams down the years that have been too good to go down but never recovered from a poor start. Forest in 92/93, apparently Man Utd were the same the year they went down in the 70s. I'm worried about complacency - I think we need someone who can nip the threat of relegation in the bud.

That and a new owner are the only things I'm hoping for this season. Everything else I've written off.

Imagine legitimately considering Chris Morgan, a man who worked at 2 clubs last season and both were relegated :laugh:

How anyone can even think of keeping any legacy of the Brown era on board is beyond me. The entire club needs a clear out, including off the pitch.

Imagine legitimately considering Chris Morgan, a man who worked at 2 clubs last season and both were relegated :laugh:

How anyone can even think of keeping any legacy of the Brown era on board is beyond me. The entire club needs a clear out, including off the pitch.

As you state correctly hagrid the history of Morgan I know of, his record is dire and what I've stated is laughable but would 4pts from next two games be enough to get fans thinking about keeping things as they are?

That must be the 100th time you've not called me a nazi.

Do you know how ridiculous it sounds to call people nazis simply because you disagree with them?

I may not, but I do know that following people around on the matchday thread is seedy and unseemly. Jumping in to thank anyone who attacks me when you have not been involved is going to get a response, little sausage doggie.

Can dish it out but can't take it back perhaps ?

Now go and invade somewhere, preferably the bottom of your dustbin.

Archived