onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Luton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

No a daft decision is giving Kaye a 2 year contract

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

We're forgetting something, browns the problem can't put players in their rightful positions and hasn't a clue on team formation it's not the players bar pope who is past it, but in his defence the system played thus far does not suit him he needs to be facing goal and no more than 15yds out from goal

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I can only speak for myself re Pope. He alienated me by his continual bile , diatribe, advice, knowledge ... Call it what you want. Whilst playing for an opponent in our division. I recall it started when his buddy Yates was given number 16 squad number and he went off on one in the Sentinel.

Funnily enough I never saw any articles from Begovic writing about what was wrong with Stoke once he went to Chelsea.

Coupled with the fact the older he has got the more of a cart horse he looked for Bury.

Can't blame Pope for coming home as such and he is certainly not the scapegoat . If anything most cut him more slack due to his brilliant efforts in the past.

The early season scapegoat and boo boy was Wilson who our idiot manager now feels is behind Joe Davis in the pecking order for selection.

unfortunately the players are going to cop it as they are the ones on the pitch.

My hope and prayers are for the 'Ranieri ' effect as per Leicester last season

Brown now says that his future at port vale is out of his hands but his future has always been in his own hands and if he'd been even a half decent manager his future would have been secure but he's incompetent, no idea how to utilise his players, what formations are required to negate the oppositions strengths and to exploit their weaknesses and worst of all he's tried to fit the players into a plan that hasn't worked instead of devising a plan to suit the players which would have them playing to their strengths.Sorry mr Brown, you've signed your own p45.

Well what an entirely predictable result last nights was.

Frankly, I cannot believe that Brown is still in the Hotseat after last seasons debacle, let alone this. But this is the long running circus that is Port Vale FC. I've said it before and will say it again, we are this seasons Tranmere/Stockport, I have absolutely no doubt.

So, onto the big game and a massive 3 pointer vs.... FGR. Yep, how times have changed.

Brown has well and truly put to bed any lingering doubts that he his totally unsuitable for the job. Truly bewildering team again last night, it's almost like he wants us to lose.

I won't be there Saturday as I'm away and I will see whether I can be bothered to check the score when I see the team, which will immediately tell me whether it's going to be another "Port Vale Nil, ..." scoreline.

I have absolute no idea what our "best" team is anymore, but I'd go 5-3-2:

Hornby

Yates-Anderson-Smith-Gunning-Denton

Whitfield-Tongue-Worrell

Turner-Barnett

with the view that if - inevitably - it all goes to ***** then we can quite easily sacrifice a centre back for Pyke. I've assumed that both Tongue and Barnett only last their customary 60 minutes.

I've also been in the past one of Yates' biggest critics. His inclusion -bearing in mind he's hardly likely to have improved since our last spell in L2 - says it all. Anyone know what super Chrissy Birchall is up to these days??!

yes Tongue is available on Saturday so vale could play there joint top scores Turner/Tongue but if brown still in charge will he pick Tongue because he's just completed his Red card ban he did not pick Gunning straight away after his red card.

Well after another visit to the hell hole that is Luton I have to say it's thoroughly depressing. On the most part I won't comment on the ownership of the club because we all know it's a problem but as it stands the on the field issues need sorting quickly.

Everyone has been screaming out for 4-4-2 but I can honestly say after only missing one game so far this season it's not working. Last night was a tactical shower of poo. There are some decent players in this squad, you can see from things like their first touch, movement and general on the ball play they are decent. In terms of how we're organised though, our shape and our pattern of play. I'm no professional football manager but have coached a bit over the years, done a few badges and even I can see some glaring issues with the side that Brown doesn't seem able to.

Last night we once again had four centre halves across the back. Gunning didn't do too bad and got a couple of crosses in from decent positions as he tends to be able to muscle his way into bits of space. Davis on the other hand could only cross from deep and generally be very predictable as he always searched for Worrall for an out ball. They tried their best but looked like centre backs. Mr Anderson and Smith did well together and were not at fault for either goal, Anderson would probably be my pick for our man of the match as he just won everything in the air, was strong in the tackle, good on the deck and relatively quick for a big man. However what was in front of them was nothing less than a shambles.

Centre midfield was once again men against boys. Middleton was just terrible. It's not because he's a particularly bad player in any particular area but he just has no presence in there, due in part to not really having a partner as Whitfield is NOT A CENTRE MIDFIELDER. Ben obviously has talent but is a much more attack minded player than you can afford in a midfield four. It meant we lost the midfield for the entire game only improving slightly when De Freitas was moved inside. Worrall and De Freitas toilet all night to little reward as far to often they gained the ball too deep and were reliant on Barnett a lot for support or a pass, rather than a centre midfielder to help gain yards up the pitch. It was just painful to watch. I won't get onto Stobbs who may be young but for a winger he can't beat his man or cross so......

As for up front anyone could have played there and had more impact than Pope who spent more energy waving his arms around than really digging in and at least trying to make it hard for their centre halves. Yes he had no service but sometimes you've just got to keep plugging away and be awkward and annoying and force a mistake. Barnett did a bit better as his mobility helps but otherwise the front two were anonymous. Turner helped when he came on and Pyke wasn't introduced early enough.

It's a disjointed squad, with poor team selections, no confidence, too many injuries (which can't be coincidence)and all in all it's time for Brown to go.

Well after another visit to the hell hole that is Luton I have to say it's thoroughly depressing. On the most part I won't comment on the ownership of the club because we all know it's a problem but as it stands the on the field issues need sorting quickly.

Everyone has been screaming out for 4-4-2 but I can honestly say after only missing one game so far this season it's not working. Last night was a tactical shower of poo. There are some decent players in this squad, you can see from things like their first touch, movement and general on the ball play they are decent. In terms of how we're organised though, our shape and our pattern of play. I'm no professional football manager but have coached a bit over the years, done a few badges and even I can see some glaring issues with the side that Brown doesn't seem able to.

Last night we once again had four centre halves across the back. Gunning didn't do too bad and got a couple of crosses in from decent positions as he tends to be able to muscle his way into bits of space. Davis on the other hand could only cross from deep and generally be very predictable as he always searched for Worrall for an out ball. They tried their best but looked like centre backs. Mr Anderson and Smith did well together and were not at fault for either goal, Anderson would probably be my pick for our man of the match as he just won everything in the air, was strong in the tackle, good on the deck and relatively quick for a big man. However what was in front of them was nothing less than a shambles.

Centre midfield was once again men against boys. Middleton was just terrible. It's not because he's a particularly bad player in any particular area but he just has no presence in there, due in part to not really having a partner as Whitfield is NOT A CENTRE MIDFIELDER. Ben obviously has talent but is a much more attack minded player than you can afford in a midfield four. It meant we lost the midfield for the entire game only improving slightly when De Freitas was moved inside. Worrall and De Freitas toilet all night to little reward as far to often they gained the ball too deep and were reliant on Barnett a lot for support or a pass, rather than a centre midfielder to help gain yards up the pitch. It was just painful to watch. I won't get onto Stobbs who may be young but for a winger he can't beat his man or cross so......

As for up front anyone could have played there and had more impact than Pope who spent more energy waving his arms around than really digging in and at least trying to make it hard for their centre halves. Yes he had no service but sometimes you've just got to keep plugging away and be awkward and annoying and force a mistake. Barnett did a bit better as his mobility helps but otherwise the front two were anonymous. Turner helped when he came on and Pyke wasn't introduced early enough.

It's a disjointed squad, with poor team selections, no confidence, too many injuries (which can't be coincidence)and all in all it's time for Brown to go.

Archived