onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Coleman

dantheman

Advert

Accrington is a remarkably well managed club to sustain League 2 football with small support base and poor stadium. It requires excellent leadership at all levels and a strong organisational culture. Coleman is an Accrington man deeply embedded in that club and its culture. If you know that area of the country - like Burnley, Blackburn, Colne, Rossendale - they have very strong independent communities. People live and remain there for community reasons. Don't expect Coleman to leave.

Being 92nd in the football league, could actually be an attractive option for any incoming football manager. There's only one way to take the team and become a hero. If you stay 92nd the blame lies with the previous incumbents. There will be plenty of good applicants for this post, it's just a shame we can't afford to pay them.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

A new manager needs something to work with. Micky Adams could not save Sheffield Utd or Tranmere. My gut feel is that Brown has signed enough good players despite imbalances, injury prone players, past it players. So the club remains attractive, but the owner has just contracted the manager and staff, so there is a cost to pay off. From a wholly business perspective Smurf has a calculation to make of the contuing cost of failure v compensation and costs of new staff.

If I was Smurf I would draw the line after Luton and Forrest Green and my expectation is to win both. The teams we have lost to, including Crewe and Notts County, do not have better players than us. I am not seeing that, I'm seeing a manager who is not getting the best out of the team. It is not even about effort or fitness, its selections, tactics, organisation and now confidence. But a professional manager looking at the job may take a different more objective viewpoint.

Accrington is a remarkably well managed club to sustain League 2 football with small support base and poor stadium. It requires excellent leadership at all levels and a strong organisational culture. Coleman is an Accrington man deeply embedded in that club and its culture. If you know that area of the country - like Burnley, Blackburn, Colne, Rossendale - they have very strong independent communities. People live and remain there for community reasons. Don't expect Coleman to leave.

Coleman is not an accrington man, he is liverpoolborn but that said would like to see him at p.v.

Sent from my SM-G903F using the onevalefan mobile app

I'm struggling at your suggestion that Notts County and Crewe don't have better players . Would Porter and Dagnall not get in our team ?

Well, I am not saying they don't have some players we would like. For me the issue up front is finding out what physical state Pope is in before re-signing him. No matter how hard it is to say this Pope clearly has a significant mobility / pace problem. I don't question fitness or skill, but seeing what I see now I wouldn't have signed him. If Notts County signed Ameobi from Bolton he is definitely a player I would have liked to get instead. Dagnall scored against because he was left unmarked directly in front of goal after the centre half playing right back gave the ball away.

Coleman is not an accrington man, he is liverpoolborn but that said would like to see him at p.v.

Sent from my SM-G903F using the onevalefan mobile app

Joined Accrington from Ashton United in 1999 and managed them until 2012. Rejoined in 2014 after spells at Rochdale and Sligo Rovers. So he is a major if not the major figure in Accrington's success. Why would he come to Port Vale after the season has started, he has a secure job at a place he likes in order to step into a toxic ownership situation? I wouldn't if I was him.

You may well be right about all the local cultural factors that have enabled Coleman to be successful but, despite his spell at Rochdale (and who knows what went on there), he is an extraordinarily capable lower league manager. I'm not sure though that you're right about him not coming here as he's rumoured to have said on a previous occasion that he would have loved to be the Port Vale manager. The biggest obstacle would be the financial cost of prising him out even if Accy would give us permission to speak to him. Norman isn't going to shell out for compensation if he can possibly avoid it.

Port Vale is higher end League One club that should have Championship ambitions.

WE have just had 2 rookie managers, a decent manager with this budget could win the league.

Just seen Burnley v Palace very poor match, Palace like Vale cannot score. Big international manager and he can't get Palace to play other than. if ball up to Benteke. Think like us playing it up to Pope is a waste of time central defenders meat and drink. I know Pope tries hard but we need to drop him to stop the temptation of playing it in the air. I also think that Pope has too much to say about how the team is run. Might be better to reduce the coaches by two as well don't think we need assistant, assistant coaches. There needs to be one leader off the field and one on it!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Longest serving manager ever, with Stanley, took them from Tier 8, where Nantwich are, to tier 4. I know their town has a league pedigree as founder members and later Div 3N in the 50s, which does help a little. So would be quite a feat for him to take them up to Tier 3, which could be in his grasp over the next few years. He is in his mid 50s, would he take a fresh challenge at the Vale or rest on his laurels?

Longest serving manager ever, with Stanley, took them from Tier 8, where Nantwich are, to tier 4. I know their town has a league pedigree as founder members and later Div 3N in the 50s, which does help a little. So would be quite a feat for him to take them up to Tier 3, which could be in his grasp over the next few years. He is in his mid 50s, would he take a fresh challenge at the Vale or rest on his laurels?

He'd have to be downright mad.

Archived