onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Coventry City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Coventry are pants, but we're pants with skid marks all over them unfortunately.

We'll get stuck in and huff and puff no doubt, and might even be on top in parts, and when Coventry score against the run of play, more than likely from a set-piece, from there we'll have no chance simply because the way Brown sets his team up we don't have two goals in the side.

I reckon we'll be rock bottom in a fortnight. Cheers Norman and to a slightly lesser extent Michael, you two absolute spanners!

I expect us to go to Coventry with a positive attitude and formation and try to win the game. If we are set up to try and get a draw & nick it if we can, we'll most likely lose. I would be more forgiving of a narrow defeat when trying to win than of a narrow defeat where we've yet again been negative which would be basically asking for it. I really want Michael Brown to turn it around and be successful because I don't like the instability of chopping and changing the management team which generally gets you nowhere but patience has to be wearing thin now and it's time for him and his squad to either p!55 or get off the pot.

I expect us to go to Coventry with a positive attitude and formation and try to win the game. If we are set up to try and get a draw & nick it if we can, we'll most likely lose. I would be more forgiving of a narrow defeat when trying to win than of a narrow defeat where we've yet again been negative which would be basically asking for it. I really want Michael Brown to turn it around and be successful because I don't like the instability of chopping and changing the management team which generally gets you nowhere but patience has to be wearing thin now and it's time for him and his squad to either p!55 or get off the pot.

Did Wycombe come for a draw when they played us at Vale.

The answer is no.

They wanted 3 points and attacked to get them.

I think it is a bridge too far to expect Brown to change the habit of a lifetime to attack Coventry from the start but probably play 4 centre backs and invite them to come at us.

The problem is that Brown seems to think we have played well but lost.

Lainton

Wilson

Smith

Gunning

Denton

Whitfield

De Freitas

Worrall

Montano

Pope

Turner

For me turner has to start, he's our only forward to score and looked decent with pope. Need a performance from montano as he's looked rubbish so far so expecting something tomorrow. Gunning at the back for some height over the dreadful Kay. If Wilson isn't fit then Yates there certainly not Davis. Denton has to come back into the side and id start who I think are our two best midfielders in Worrall and adf.

Lainton

Wilson

Smith

Gunning

Denton

Whitfield

De Freitas

Worrall

Montano

Pope

Turner

For me turner has to start, he's our only forward to score and looked decent with pope. Need a performance from montano as he's looked rubbish so far so expecting something tomorrow. Gunning at the back for some height over the dreadful Kay. If Wilson isn't fit then Yates there certainly not Davis. Denton has to come back into the side and id start who I think are our two best midfielders in Worrall and adf.

What's this? Two full backs as full backs, two wingers as wingers, two centre mids as centre mids and two up front? Are you mad?

Just joking but, on a serious note, I'd be amazed if Brown ever put a team up like this at home let alone away.

Can't see us getting anything tomorrow.

Lainton

Wilson

Smith

Gunning

Denton

Whitfield

De Freitas

Worrall

Montano

Pope

Turner

Tom Anderson played 34 games for Chesterfield in Div 1 last season so why would you play Gunning.Why has Brown signed him if he doesn't intend playing him.

I thought we might try 3.5.2 last year but we never did and I don't think Brown has ever tried it has he, even in friendlies?

I really hope we'll try two up front ahead of two solid banks of four but many of the players are much of a muchness or barely known to us so who plays is anyone's guess.

Lainton

Yates/Wilson/Davis?

Anderson/Kay

Smith

Denton/Gunning?

Worrall/Harness?

Middleton

De Freitas/Whitfield?

Montano

Pope

Turner/Pyke/Barnett?

I honestly don't know who I'd select but worse still I don't think Brown is sure either.

I agree with you.

All I'm saying is that I don't think anyone yet knows what our best starting XI is. If you asked everyone on here I bet we'd get dozens of different teams.

Lainton, Smith, Worrall, Pope? Anyone else who would be virtually an automatic pick? I don't think there is at the moment.

Anyway, regardless of who plays, let's cross our fingers for a wholehearted display laced with a few goals. :yes:

Tom Anderson played 34 games for Chesterfield in Div 1 last season so why would you play Gunning.Why has Brown signed him if he doesn't intend playing him.

I'd play gunning because I think he's looked ok and would settle in nicely in his natural position. Brown will go with Kay and smith and your right would go Anderson above gunning. However given andersons record last year and reviews from Chesterfield fans I'd rather give gunning a go there first.

Surely to goodness we have enough ability in the squad to do better than this.

It struck me in the first half last week how poor the standard of football was, with balls flying through the air back and forth like a game of tennis. It was appalling stuff and very low quality fare. The league above is of a much higher standard.

We need a group of lads who are physically strong and organised and determined, who can win high balls and compete and win 50:50s. There are a few too many lightweights in there at the moment who don't win their personal battles, can't head a ball and lose 50:50 challenges. A lad like Gunning is a good call because he's the type who can thrive in this league.

Archived