onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Crewe Alex

Fosse69

Wanted to try and get my registration approved on here before the game for a good, friendly chat seeing as there was no mention or build up of it on our forum but it proved to not be the case!

With the game done and dusted... I've only just had chance to review the red card and honestly thought Tonge was very unlucky to see Red, wouldn't be surprised if the red card was overturned. That said, Cooper did make a meal of the challenge but in fairness, he did get kicked all over the pitch so wouldn't surprise me if that was Brown's gameplan from the first whistle.

The sending off became the wake up call and after the first half, you were the much better side and apart from one decent save, we created more clear-cut chances in the first 30 mins but again, there wasn't much difference between two poor sides before the sending off. Before his sending off, Tonge looks like he's still got a bit of quality about him and Worrall over time will become a decent player for you, he's capable of League 1 football. Was impressed with the left back, is his name Denton? and the winger Harness looks like a very good player at this level.

Personally, I don't think Brown is the right fit, but over time spine of what could be a good team in this division will click and the results will come. Will be interesting in the return leg. Was disappointing to see Raynes not included, think him vs Pope will be in interesting contest

Advert

With the game done and dusted... I've only just had chance to review the red card and honestly thought Tonge was very unlucky to see Red

When I read that I thought you were the ref. Now that would have been a first - a referee admitting that he was wrong. Sadly not the case; I just hope Vale are appealing the decision.

When I read that I thought you were the ref. Now that would have been a first - a referee admitting that he was wrong. Sadly not the case; I just hope Vale are appealing the decision.

There is absolutely zero chance that would be overturned. It's clearly the right decision and I'm staggered in the cold light of day people can't accept that.

There is absolutely zero chance that would be overturned. It's clearly the right decision and I'm staggered in the cold light of day people can't accept that.

REP, I don't know where you were in the ground, but I was in the Lorne Street and the incident was about 20 feet away so I saw it clearly.

Yes the lad was caught, but not with two feet and certainly not with any intent. When it happened I thought 'he'll be lucky to get away with that one', fully expecting a yellow card. When it was red I couldn't believe it and neither did Tonge. I think it would be extremely difficult to prove any intent if the replay was viewed, so I hope for Tonge's sake Vale are appealing it.

REP, I don't know where you were in the ground, but I was in the Lorne Street and the incident was about 20 feet away so I saw it clearly.

Yes the lad was caught, but not with two feet and certainly not with any intent. When it happened I thought 'he'll be lucky to get away with that one', fully expecting a yellow card. When it was red I couldn't believe it and neither did Tonge. I think it would be extremely difficult to prove any intent if the replay was viewed, so I hope for Tonge's sake Vale are appealing it.

Honestly mate he has no chance, fully agree it wasn't two footed and not sure who said it was, but that said he's caught him showing all his stoops way over the top of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I can see why he was sent off as his right boot was in the air, possibly risking his opponent's health and safety, but in all fairness I'm not sure that he touched Cooper. Not that that is entirely relevant. Cooper jumped up as if he'd been pole-axed and then rolled about on the floor as if he was out for the season. The other Crewe lad implied to the ref that it was stamp but it was no such thing.

Tonge was taken by surprise and turned into the tackle. I think he may have lost his footing slightly and slipped and that made it look worse.

I can see why he went but I still think it was very harsh and Cooper (though the brunt of a few fouls) made an absolute meal out of it and should be up for an oscar. Disgraceful play acting from him. I would not appeal it because I don't think the ref will change his mind.

But it was shame the useless man in black did not see Porter's elbow and see more clearly one of our three penalty appeals. There was merit in all three of them.

The only thing that's possibly in Tonge's favour was that it was all a bit slow motion, and there didn't seem to be any excessive force. Cooper needed a bit of a think about it before deciding whether or not to go down holding his leg.

The one incident I'd really like to see again is their number 4's tackle on Montaño, I was certain at the time he went through the man in order to get the ball and it looked a stonewall penalty.

I can see why he was sent off as his right boot was in the air, possibly risking his opponent's health and safety, but in all fairness I'm not sure that he touched Cooper. Not that that is entirely relevant. Cooper jumped up as if he'd been pole-axed and then rolled about on the floor as if he was out for the season. The other Crewe lad implied to the ref that it was stamp but it was no such thing.

Tonge was taken by surprise and turned into the tackle. I think he may have lost his footing slightly and slipped and that made it look worse.

I can see why he went but I still think it was very harsh and Cooper (though the brunt of a few fouls) made an absolute meal out of it and should be up for an oscar. Disgraceful play acting from him. I would not appeal it because I don't think the ref will change his mind.

But it was shame the useless man in black did not see Porter's elbow and see more clearly one of our three penalty appeals. There was merit in all three of them.

Thats what I find so frustrating,the liner on the Railway side must have seen the elbow, but for reasons unknown chose to turn a blind eye,if Smith had gone down it would have forced the officials to make a decision.

I know a liner in the football league,his attitude is whatever decision they make is correct,whether it is or not,backed up by the fact he's an arrogant twerp.

Honestly mate he has no chance, fully agree it wasn't two footed and not sure who said it was, but that said he's caught him showing all his stoops way over the top of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Just for clarity (and my sanity) technically what made it a sending off offence? I'm in no way saying it wasn't..just interested in why the ref HAD to show a red

That was my strong feeling as well. He clearly played the man and not the ball.

I guess in the ref's eyes the tackle was late, his foot was off the floor and his studs were showing. Hence, a sending off. But as I say I think he was slipping as he made the tackle and I'm still not certain that he actually touched Cooper at all. But that is largely irrelevant if the ref deemed it to be dangerous and risking an opponent's safety.

Y

We must be close together then as I sit in Lorne Street in the first block about 10 rows behind the away dugout.

My first words were 'he's off' and from replays no reason to change that view.

One of those challenges that would barely have warranted a word from the ref 10 years ago, but under current rules he was high / over the ball, and out of control/reckless with the risk of causing injury to an opponent. Intent is irrelevant.

Reality is the rules have changed and we have to play to them. Agree with REP on this occasion that zero chance in an appeal. Nothing has come out of the club that they are to appeal, so I assume they have come to the same conclusion.

Archived