onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF Mini Competition No. 62

Advert

Looking for something to distract you from the football results?

Then watch this space... :yes:

p.s. Knowing we have brainy ones amongst us I've tried to make this 'Comp super tough to solve. Well, that's what think I've done :laugh:

Having said that, you watch if one of you don't pick straight away.

ah well, such is life :smile:

OVF Mini Competition No. 62

This OVF Mini Competition is conducted by Onevalefan and all enquires about prizes or other related ‘Competition issues to be sent by pm to Barry Edge aka Aussie Rules.

This ‘Competition will be declared won when:

The principle character's name, spelt correctly, has been posted in this Topic Thread, plus
    At least a mix of 4 other names/reasons why it happened

Further, your answers must be in 1 post only - not multiple posts.

The research for this Mini Comp includes the World Wide Web.

Judges' decision final with no correspondence entered into.

So, all you need do to win a £50 ‘Club Shop voucher is to be the first to post the correct answers to this little cryptic poem:

Who was she, and what happened

When her mum and dad crossed over

She was living north of town

In a cottage by a hawthorn

Where she spent her days alone,

No one went to visit

‘Cus they thought she'd do them harm

And when the townsfolk were in church

She was busy on her farm

She wasn't very pretty

So boyfriends did not have

And the troubles in the township

Were said to be ‘Her Bad',

Even when she sold her wares

The townsfolk were unkind

By saying she was nasty

With cheating on her mind

Then one day some men in black -

A ‘holy coterie' -

Condemned her mortal ways

As the work of devilry,

But the final quirk of fate -

Because of what was done -

Is most others are forgotten

Whilst her memory lives on

Barry Edge

August 20, 2017

:smile:

I think this is Molly Leigh, who lived in a farm in Jack-field, now Hamil rd.

Other characters

Parson Spencer,

Her blackbird.

The blackbird used to sit on the sign of The Turks Head pub and was said to have turned the beer sour, hence parson spencer and other locals reopened her grave and buried the bird with her.

p.s. Knowing we have brainy ones amongst us I've tried to make this 'Comp super tough to solve. Well, that's what think I've done :laugh:

Having said that, you watch if one of you don't pick straight away.

ah well, such is life :smile:

Outside of North Staffs that was super tough!the only real clue was"my farm"...i assume you have some connection?fascinating story and a nice distraction from football..conrad I doff my hat...

I think this is Molly Leigh, who lived in a farm in Jack-field, now Hamil rd.

Other characters

Parson Spencer,

Her blackbird.

The blackbird used to sit on the sign of The Turks Head pub and was said to have turned the beer sour, hence parson spencer and other locals reopened her grave and buried the bird with her.

:clap: And with that answer Conrad you win this weeks 'OVF Clever Clogs Award' plus a few pennies to spend in the 'Club Shop :yes:

Just over an hour eh! What part gave you the answers?

You know what to do :smile:

Notes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2006/03/03/molly_leigh_witch_profile_feature.shtml

Margaret Leigh aka Molly Lee

Born Burslem 1685

Died Burslem 1746 or 1748

Her mum and dad died when she was very young

Sadly, Margaret, or Molly (sometimes Molly Lee) was said to be ugly, and in those days this led to her being shunned and labelled the witch of Burslem.

She never married.

There were allegations from the start about her strangeness e.g:

[List}That she had an adult mind and abilities from birth;

That she was able to eat a hard crust of bread just a few hours after being born;

That she refused her mother's milk to suckle farm animals instead; and

Said to have a vicious temper as she grew older;

Was it the need for a friend that also made her train a blackbird/jackdaw) which became her companion, being tame to her call?

Or was she really a witch as declared by enemy No. 1 Parson Spencer, Rector of Saint John's Church, Burslem?

Outside of North Staffs that was super tough!the only real clue was"my farm"...i assume you have some connection?fascinating story and a nice distraction from football..conrad I doff my hat...

Good spot, but no connection Bon'Ami - should read 'her farm'. Thanks, now corrected :yes:

Archived