onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Leeds U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Gunning's second booking was stupid but in his defence, the first was a "good" yellow card as we were outnumbered on the break (which definitely is our weakness at the moment) and he took one for the team. Denton will obviously replace him Saturday. Right back is more of a worry for me as it's been the weak link of the defence in both games this season.

Very nice to see we have options up front. Pyke showed last night that he is a huge step from Reggie, I think we've always known Forrester is a player but he needs to stay fit and Pope is the physical presence you need at this level but I agree that the partnership that showed the most promise last night was Pyke and Forrester and I'd start with that Saturday as well.

Wilson is surely capable of being a decent RB in league 2. Bolton fans had a decent opinion of him. Although I have no idea where he was last night.

Advert

Isn't it nice to just have options up front? Whether it's Pope and Pyke, Forrester and Pyke, Pope and Forrester, or even Turner as one of the two, I don't think there would be too many complaints! And that's without Barnett being available of course. I'd love a genuine attacking midfielder at the club, dare I say it someone like Louis Dodds, as that's something we don't have.

Wilson is surely capable of being a decent RB in league 2. Bolton fans had a decent opinion of him. Although I have no idea where he was last night.

Yeah I agree. I'm just going on his performance at Crawley Saturday where he was given the run around in the second half. Hopefully it was a one off.

Another positive from the first two games is the goalkeeping situation. Lainton has done nothing wrong and I was impressed with Hornby's half last night. He made a couple of excellent saves and had no chance with any of the goals. Certainly we are in a far better state than the "next one up" situation we finished in last season.

For some historical perspective on this... we lost 3-1 to Ipswich Town in the League Cup back in 1988/89. Nobody was surprised as they were a decent team - and so were Vale, but they were better.

Last night it appears the same thing happened. A leading Championship team put 4 past a L2 team. So what? No need to get so down hearted. Saturday is more important.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with me about.

I said NO gripe with result I.e. to be expected.

I said the gulf has never been so big. You seem to agree. I didn't say it isn't to be expected but i do think it's a shame.

You make some point about rarity of cup upsets - something I made no comment about.

In short - I think we actually agree with each other!

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using the onevalefan mobile app

"One thing that is concerning across football in general is the widening gulf in finances and subsequently quality. I know we didn't play our strongest side but Leeds also made 10 changes from their opening day line up and they still field players of far superior quality that cost millions."

I don't think that gulf as such is widening 'across football in general'..its always been there at the top but elsewhere lower down if anything the gulf has narrowed. The ref to cup upsets in the past being rarer than people think was there to indicate that the gulf to the top is nothing new...there is a tendency to think they happened more often than they did and so the gulf wasn't so great in years gone by.

Score line a touch harsh. Forrester held the ball up well with little support. Mobility in midfield is an issue cant remember anyone running beyond Forrester. The odd occasion we did try to press Leeds passed the ball around us. We did have a half chance at 1-1 could have made a difference. Compared to Huddersfield away in in the FA Cup last season and i am guessing Leeds to be of a similar level we were more competitive which could be a good measure for the coming season.

Most things I could say have already been said by others, but happy with last night despite the result. Crowd was great (my prediction of 15K was almost bang on) & a decent performance to match. Leeds made it a very entertaining game too with some really good football. Oh, then my fivefold came in & paid for the entire night (& some more), so even better! Overall, a very enjoyable trip. The perfect 4-1 loss, if such a thing could exist.

It's so refreshing to come on here in the morning to see most are actually happy & defending the team too despite the result.

UTV :clap:

How harsh are some Vale fans? As I was coming out last night I couldn't believe the whinging. You could arguably say we didn't put out a first choice side and lost 4-1 to a really good championship side. No disgrace in that. Apart from Gunning's stupid error at the end everyone kept their heads, did a job and put in a shift. Turner and Reeves looked a little out of place at times but all the senior pros kept to it and it was a sign of how well we played that they had to bring on two of their top players.

Forrester's rating on here shocks me. He was outstanding considering he was playing up top on his own. Held the ball up very well to relieve pressure and tried his best to make things happen.

Forrester's rating on here shocks me. He was outstanding considering he was playing up top on his own. Held the ball up very well to relieve pressure and tried his best to make things happen.

I agree, I think some people don't understand what they see in a football match sometimes and the roles that players have to do.

If Lainton does turn out to the be the crock we thought he'd be, judging from last night I have no issues with Hornby starting.

He could do little about the 3 goals and made 3 excellent saves. For a lad making a professional competitive debut at Elland Road coming on at half time and having the ball constantly coming at him, he looked pretty good.

The reality is we already out of a cup meaning no extra income to improve the team .

Thats why i wanted a cup run to fall at the first hurdle well it heaps more pressure on our league campaign.

As i didnt go i cant judge but i do know something and tbat is after many years of following Vales fortunes ive reached the stage where i couldnt care less how they do .

Disappointment is the norm i except that i have enough of that in my own life with being single .

Vale always used be me getaway from the daily grind and something look forwards to .

Delete my account please thank u .

Its time football is no longer part of my life its all about money now in a word its rubbish .

Archived