onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Close Season Mini Competition No 61

This ‘Mini Competition’ is conducted by Onevalefan and all enquires about prizes or other related ‘Competition issues to be sent by pm to Barry Edge aka Aussie Rules.

This ‘Mini Competition’ will be declared won when:

The principle character’s name, spelt correctly, has been posted in this Topic Thread,
    plus
    At least a mix of 4 other names/reasons why it happened

Further, your answers must be in 1 post only – not multiple posts.

The research for this Mini Comp includes the World Wide Web.

Judges’ decision final with no correspondence entered into.

So, all you need do to win a £50 ‘Club Shop voucher is to be the first to post the correct answers to this little cryptic poem:

Who am I, and what happened

I was barely in my teens

And a shy retiring type

When I found myself entrapped

In a feudal marriage fight,

My protests were dismissed –

In fact I had no say –

For it was signed and sealed

There would be a wedding day

The cheating and deceit

Into which I had been drawn

Gave rise to pomp and glory

Before my fatal dawn,

But missing from my epitaph

And most unkind to me

Is the fact I was the first

In a famous family tree

Barry Edge

Western Australia

August 2, 2017

:smile:

Advert

This ‘Mini Competition’ is conducted by Onevalefan and all enquires about prizes or other related ‘Competition issues to be sent by pm to Barry Edge aka Aussie Rules.

This ‘Mini Competition’ will be declared won when:

The principle character’s name, spelt correctly, has been posted in this Topic Thread,
    plus
    At least a mix of 4 other names/reasons why it happened

Further, your answers must be in 1 post only – not multiple posts.

The research for this Mini Comp includes the World Wide Web.

Judges’ decision final with no correspondence entered into.

So, all you need do to win a £50 ‘Club Shop voucher is to be the first to post the correct answers to this little cryptic poem:

Who am I, and what happened

I was barely in my teens

And a shy retiring type

When I found myself entrapped

In a feudal marriage fight,

My protests were dismissed –

In fact I had no say –

For it was signed and sealed

There would be a wedding day

The cheating and deceit

Into which I had been drawn

Gave rise to pomp and glory

Before my fatal dawn,

But missing from my epitaph

And most unkind to me

Is the fact I was the first

In a famous family tree

Barry Edge

Western Australia

August 2, 2017

Judith Martel Princess of France, 1st Queen Of England

Spouses/Children:

1. Æthelwulf King of Wessex

2. Ethelbald King Of Wessex

3. Baldwin I 'Iron Arm' de Flandres 1st Count of Flanders

4 king charles the bald

married ethelwulf son of king egbert and became 1st official queen(aged 13) as always used to be known as wife of the king due to the diplomatic marriage of convenience due viking attacks (also due to the need for ethelwulf father needing cash to use against the elder son who was rebelling)

thats what the internet tells me anyway,lol ()-:

A very good answer Ian, unfortunately no cigar.

My understanding is one of Judith being Queen Consort of Wessex and several other 'Kingdoms' vis-à-vis All England, plus her epitaph clearly states this.

Still, a top answer worthy of a £25 'Club Shop voucher :yes:

You know what to do Ian :smile:

Is the answer Elizabeth of York? She married Henry VII to cement the throne and join together the houses of York and Lancaster, an alliance made by her mother, Elizabeth Woodville, and Henry's mother for political reasons. She was sister to the "princes in the tower". Her surviving children became a King of England and queens of France and Scotland; it is through the Scottish Stuart dynasty that her many modern royal descendants trace their descent from her.As the mother of King Henry VIII, she was the daughter, sister, niece, wife, mother and grandmother of successive Kings and Queens of England.

Lady Jane Grey is my guess, although unsure how that fits into last 2 lines. Father in law was the Duke of Northumberland, the previous king Edward VI's chief minister. Married at 15/16 (early teens). Fatal dawn - lasted only 9 or 10 days on the throne before she was beheaded. Married to Lord Guildford Dudley who she barely knew for political/religious reasons - protests were dismissed.

I'm going for Margaret Beaufort whose second marriage, at the age of 12, saw her become the wife of Edmund Tudor and give birth to the future Henry VII who was the first of the Tudor dynasty. I think the pomp and glory referred to may be Henry's victory at Bosworth and his subsequent coronation??

Is the answer Elizabeth of York? She married Henry VII to cement the throne and join together the houses of York and Lancaster, an alliance made by her mother, Elizabeth Woodville, and Henry's mother for political reasons. She was sister to the "princes in the tower". Her surviving children became a King of England and queens of France and Scotland; it is through the Scottish Stuart dynasty that her many modern royal descendants trace their descent from her.As the mother of King Henry VIII, she was the daughter, sister, niece, wife, mother and grandmother of successive Kings and Queens of England.

You're in and around the right era Craig, jusj need a different Cast of characters.

History tells us Elizabeth of York was in her late 30s when she died and shortly after the birth of her 8th child.

The principle character in this cryptic verse did not give birth - never got the chance.

ps send me your details Craig for a £15 'Club Shop voucher :yes:

Lady Jane Grey is my guess, although unsure how that fits into last 2 lines. Father in law was the Duke of Northumberland, the previous king Edward VI's chief minister. Married at 15/16 (early teens). Fatal dawn - lasted only 9 or 10 days on the throne before she was beheaded. Married to Lord Guildford Dudley who she barely knew for political/religious reasons - protests were dismissed.

Yippee, we have a winner. 'onya Andy :clap:

The last 2 lines refer to being the 1st Tudor Queen to rule alone as apposed to being a Queen Consort e.g. Mary I, Elizabeth I ruled alone.

Brief notes:

*Lady Jane Grey – born 1537 - was the great niece of
    *Henry VIII (1509-1547) the son of
    *Henry VII (1485-1509) aka Earl of Richmond who defeated
    *Richard III (1483-1485) at Bosworth Field on the 22nd August, 1485 to end the
    Wars of the Roses 1455-1487 – fought between the Houses of Lancaster and York
    *Edward VI born 1537 (1547-1553) succeeded his father Henry III – a sickly in health 10 year old boy who was controlled by
    *John Dudley aka Duke of Northumberland – and the virtual dictator of England determined that
    *15 year old Lady Jane Grey succeed Edward VI to secure his continued control on the ‘Crown. He arranged the marriage of
    *Lady Jane to his 4th son – also 15 years old
    *Lady Jane did ascend to the throne following Edward VI’s death but no actual coronation took place
    *Lady Jane was disposed after 9 days - 10/07/1553 to 19/07/1553) – and the succession returned to
    *Mary I (1553-1558) – Tudor, Catholic – followed by
    *Elizabeth I (1558-1603) – Tudor, Protestant

https://englishhistory.net/tudor/relative/lady-jane-grey/

Awaiting your instructions Bon'Ami :yes:

I'm going for Margaret Beaufort whose second marriage, at the age of 12, saw her become the wife of Edmund Tudor and give birth to the future Henry VII who was the first of the Tudor dynasty. I think the pomp and glory referred to may be Henry's victory at Bosworth and his subsequent coronation??

Right era Jean, but a little earlier than Lady Jane Grey :smile:

ps send me your details jean for a £15 'Club Shop voucher :yes:

Archived