onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neymar to PSG?

Tomo

You're right. But they don't want to help other people, they just want to help themselves. You now have to ignore the money involved as it just isn't real to the average punter. Just talk about whether it's a good signing or not. The actual sums of money in football now mean nothing. And this is all Sky's fault. Hence my subscription cancellation some 18 months or so ago.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

I don't agree its Sky's fault. The inflated TV revenue paid to the Premier League arose because BT competed and forced the bid up. Duopoly was worse than monopoly in this case. Aside from that there seems to be the same trend across other major leagues in Europe and not just in relation to the ability to buy Neymar.

Advert

You're right. But they don't want to help other people, they just want to help themselves. You now have to ignore the money involved as it just isn't real to the average punter. Just talk about whether it's a good signing or not. The actual sums of money in football now mean nothing. And this is all Sky's fault. Hence my subscription cancellation some 18 months or so ago.

I think blaming this deal on Sky is pushing it somewhat. Not sure what they have to do with the Qatari's spending this amount on a player. An article on the BBC seems to think it's a political decision based on the current problems Qatar are having with Saudi Arabia waging a campaign against them as part of a bigger power struggle between themselves and Iran. So it's a way of showing they still have strength.

With financial fair play the signing has to be a commercial decision. Neymar is an asset and he will produce an income stream that justifies the cost - or not, especially given the risk of injury. If financial fair play is being satisfied by wealthy owners writing off money in the form of over inflated contracts posting income to the accounts, well that is their choice. I guess it is a transfer of money from the Middle East to Spain and France and indirectly benefits economic activity in European countries when it is spent or re-invested by Neymar and his representatives. Barcelona will presumably sign replacements.

The tax flows created by Neymar support government, public services and international aid. The more he earns, the more he pays.

Is being disgusted by such a deal too much of a Marxist trait for your liking?

I think blaming this deal on Sky is pushing it somewhat. Not sure what they have to do with the Qatari's spending this amount on a player. An article on the BBC seems to think it's a political decision based on the current problems Qatar are having with Saudi Arabia waging a campaign against them as part of a bigger power struggle between themselves and Iran. So it's a way of showing they still have strength.

Think we all know the issue with Sky, but don't think he's talking about this deal in particular, just generally. They have & will continue to pour the ridiculous amount of money into the PL, which will only drive up their (& as a result everyone else's) transfer fees year on year.

Yes, it's the bigger picture I'm thinking about. We've just seen £50M spent on a FULL BACK ! If the Premier League want to play Football Monopoly we can do little about it. But teams like us, Crewe & the rest of the real football world are dragged into a game which we don't want to play and certainly don't recognise. Whatever happens at the top will always filter it's way down the leagues. I'm thinking of increased transfer fee's and increased salary demands which certainly at our level are unsustainable. The Premier League only has this money because of Sky, so of course it's Sky's fault.

Objective analysis of deals and accounts is needed to form judgements. However, Sky are harmed by the Neymar deal as he leaves La Liga covered by Sky for France which isn't.

The money for Neymar is coming from Qatar. So the issue is wealthy owners and TV money plus the success of the PL which is crucial to worldwide TV coverage.

I am not happy with what I am seeing, but Sky is an organisation battling to survive and not in overall media / tv terms a dominant player.

All Sky has done is paid money for access to a product which it then sells on..it's football that has decided how to spend Sky's money so it's the football authorities that are at fault. Blaming the buyer (Sky) for what the seller (football) does with the buyer's money makes no sense to me...football does not have to spend it's billions on transfer fees and wages..it chooses to.

Having said that the sums involved now are ridiculous and the football authorities have let things get way out of hand. It's not as simple as market forces at the top of football as clubs and owners are also looking to outdo each other in terms of what they can afford to pay out, to be seen as the bigger more glamorous club etc etc. ..to have the kudos (in their world) of having paid the biggest transfer fee ever.

It won't end unless the football authorities step in or the TV companies pull out so there isn't competition for rights or maybe a load of massive transfers turn out to be complete flops or something else comes along for the wealthy owners to spend their money on ..or a combination of all those things.

All Sky has done is paid money for access to a product which it then sells on..it's football that has decided how to spend Sky's money so it's the football authorities that are at fault. Blaming the buyer (Sky) for what the seller (football) does with the buyer's money makes no sense to me...football does not have to spend it's billions on transfer fees and wages..it chooses to.

Having said that the sums involved now are ridiculous and the football authorities have let things get way out of hand. It's not as simple as market forces at the top of football as clubs and owners are also looking to outdo each other in terms of what they can afford to pay out, to be seen as the bigger more glamorous club etc etc. ..to have the kudos (in their world) of having paid the biggest transfer fee ever.

It won't end unless the football authorities step in or the TV companies pull out so there isn't competition for rights or maybe a load of massive transfers turn out to be complete flops or something else comes along for the wealthy owners to spend their money on ..or a combination of all those things.

I hear what you say, but it's the domino effect which worries me. The Premier League throwing all this money around has an effect all the way down the pyramid system. Didn't we lose Pope because of Bury's " 5 year plan " ? Players and agents alike then want more money even at our level, because of what's happening at the very top, even though the two are so far removed. I don't care what the "big" clubs do, but I do care about my club and others of a similar ilk.

I hear what you say, but it's the domino effect which worries me. The Premier League throwing all this money around has an effect all the way down the pyramid system. Didn't we lose Pope because of Bury's " 5 year plan " ? Players and agents alike then want more money even at our level, because of what's happening at the very top, even though the two are so far removed. I don't care what the "big" clubs do, but I do care about my club and others of a similar ilk.

I dare say it does affect expectations and causes owners to take bigger and bigger risks to try to get to the PL such are the financial rewards available there. The game becomes less about the football and the fans and the clubs and more about the hype, the 'glamour', the sheer scale of the PL etc......that's not new, but the scale of it is

Archived