onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gunning signs

KingRay

I know nothing of Gunning but if they're amused by us signing him, what about them signing Sam Kelly. That doesn't just amuse me, it makes my sides literally split down the middle.

Sent from my CUBOT ECHO using Tapatalk

Literally? :ohmy: Should I send for an ambulance? :stretch:

Advert

Clearly, midfield desperately needs strengthening. To me, when you're working on a limited budget what's the point in signing players to "sit on the bench" ? Sign players in positions which are needed. I've no doubt that Brown is trying to do that, but with the Big Kick Off just around the corner, the required staff are not being recruited. That said, I don't see us being in serious trouble at the wrong end of the table.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

He's also had over 100 appearances in the SPL. Grimsby fans are chuffed he's gone but others say he was okay and that some were biased against him for various reasons. Sam Kelly for Gavin Gunning, alright I'll take that seen as Gunning only has sit on the bench and come on and hoof the ball out the stands if Smith/Kay/Davis are unavailable.

There are two factors in signing a previously unsuccessful player that you don't know until the season starts - attitude and whether he blends in. Things that might have been absent at other clubs; Sodje and Constantine were mentioned - can anyone say they were the same or better after Vale or before?

We were a collective load of rubbish m8 thats all i know .

Look at the last two home games v Sheffield Utd and Bolton the home fans up for it the players abysmal ,incapable of nothing better than mediocrity .

I only went Chesterfield so i cannot judge but we conceded hell of a lot of goals and possession .

We had no Bogies no winners i hate saying this but we r going be relying on Popey and i dont think he is up to it anymore this season .

I hope im wrong we r deep in the mire and only strong characters who r winners can pull us out .

So i hope Gunning Kay Montano and the other new arrivals have it cause we havent we r doomed to non league or very close to it

We were a load of rubbish but you do a disservice to the likes of smith and Alnwick. It's not their fault that they were surrounded by dross and many times ensured we didn't fair any worse than we did. Alnwick transfer shows that. To suggest dropping smith because the team performed poorly last season would be madness. Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I know nothing of Gunning but if they're amused by us signing him, what about them signing Sam Kelly. That doesn't just amuse me, it makes my sides literally split down the middle.

Grimsby have just signed Paul Dixon, a defender who has won three Scottish international caps.

Grimsby have just signed Paul Dixon, a defender who has won three Scottish international caps.

Duffy won 16 caps for Wales

Well done Michael Brown sign another centre half to sit on the bench when we need a proper left back and centre midfielder.

Now Barnett is injured another striker is required.Dan Turner is not good enough for football league and needs loaning out.

From today's performance Gunning is not a left back.

Sign Nigel Tongue will leave us even more lacking in midfield.

In all fairness I'd probably get into the Scottish national team if I qualified and I'm old and crap.

Welcome to the club. Good in the air is vital at L2 level. Many teams will be horrible to play against, try and ruin games and rely on corners to score so defending corners is really important. Also, many teams will raise their games when playing us at VP in front of 4500 people. We're a big club at this level and, like Coventry, Swindon and Notts County, the smaller teams will be motivated when playing us as the underdogs.

Clearly, midfield desperately needs strengthening. To me, when you're working on a limited budget what's the point in signing players to "sit on the bench" ? Sign players in positions which are needed. I've no doubt that Brown is trying to do that, but with the Big Kick Off just around the corner, the required staff are not being recruited. That said, I don't see us being in serious trouble at the wrong end of the table.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

I was always told throughout playing football that the midfield 'the engine room' wins you games , if we haven't got this area right by the start of the season or have depth in this area we will struggle

I'm not saying promotion or relegation this season, in fact I can't even judge it and so reserve judgment on that one , all I know is we seem a better , fresher outfit on and off the field so it's a case of sit tight hope for the best from me!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I have warned him that Kelly is as lightweight as a feather

Who gives a flying **** what other supporters say? Our signing of the likes of Sodje and Constantine were somewhat ridiculed by supporters of the clubs they played for before Vale, and we all know how those two turned out. Gunning is strong, decent in the air and has experience. He's tailor made for League Two and we couldn't realistically sign better back up.

The 2 you mentioned you are right they were brilliant for us, unfortunately the vast majority haven't been. As you say Gunning has all the right qualities for League 2 , unfortunately a level head and a few brain cells seem to be lacking. My Grimsby mate was excited on signing Kelly, thought they had signed a good player. I gave him my honest opinion , Good luck on that one.

Welcome to the club. I thought that was a solid debut game and the defence looked professional and solid. I also thought Chester looked a better side than I expected, having seen some national league football last year, and it was necessary to be solid and resilient for periods in the game as they enthusiastically attacked at home. Didn't crumble, and that is what is needed. Resilience, which we big time lacked away from home last year.

Archived