onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gunning signs

KingRay

Mixed reviews on gunning on Grimsby forum but from what I've seen he's played out of position for us heads the ball well and clears his lines. Maybe brown is going for experience this year and might not play Smith has much has people expect last season we had a young pairing at the back with streete and Smith he might

Go for experience or a mix this season when bikey came in even unfit it changed things slightly Smith has not had a good couple of seasons regards of goals conceded is that him or players around him I would see how he gets on this year but I would expect that he won't be first on the team sheet unless he proves himself I like the competition brown has created at the back we didn't have that last season so credit to him. I hope Smith will become the centre half we want and need but he needs time.

Really? Easily our best player last season. Swept the board In the end of season awards. The only one of our squad who we can confidently say will go on the better things? You think gunning or Davis should be ahead of him? The problem last season wasn't the centre halves. Using your logic, jak Alnwick wasn't as good as we thought because he conceded the same amount of goals?

Advert

Gunning will be a decent back up signing. People seem confused by signing another centre half but any team needs four in the squad because if you have three and one gets injured you've not got a substitute and can't really play 3 at the back without a forth for back up either so it was needed to complete the defence.

We do need 4 centre halves, but having at least one left back is a bigger priority to having a 4th centre half. I don't think people would be concerned at all with this signing if we had already signed a left back and a couple of midfielders. Let's hope this week brings them in.

Grimsby mate tells me our signing of Gunning has caused much amusement on their website. His comment of good luck with him gives cause for concern. Seems to have the right sort of tough qualities required in league 2 if he can keep his head, something he appears to struggle to do. Still the position we are in following relegation and having a chairman who also struggles to keep his head means these are the sort of players we are forced to take a punt on.

We do need 4 centre halves, but having at least one left back is a bigger priority to having a 4th centre half. I don't think people would be concerned at all with this signing if we had already signed a left back and a couple of midfielders. Let's hope this week brings them in.

Mixed reviews on gunning on Grimsby forum but from what I've seen he's played out of position for us heads the ball well and clears his lines. Maybe brown is going for experience this year and might not play Smith has much has people expect last season we had a young pairing at the back with streete and Smith he might

Go for experience or a mix this season when bikey came in even unfit it changed things slightly Smith has not had a good couple of seasons regards of goals conceded is that him or players around him I would see how he gets on this year but I would expect that he won't be first on the team sheet unless he proves himself I like the competition brown has created at the back we didn't have that last season so credit to him. I hope Smith will become the centre half we want and need but he needs time.

Think the problem last year was not with Smith,Streete and Alnwick but everything playing for us in front of them. Which if anyone needs reminding was very little.Think the Alamo.

Good post that .

Is he as good as what some fans make out he is .

Last season at home in the games i saw he was i thought in the main very good .

Away from home where players can hide because our away followings have being put of from going ,judging by amount of goals conceded maybe not as good .

140 goals conceded in two seasons tells u he is a long way off from being the player he hopes he will be with been a stoke fan .

So work it out 46 games a season over 2 goals a game conceded with him part of the defence .

Big season for him no player who represented us last season gets cut any slack .

Id expect us concede no more than 30 goals this season as our motivation should the c the ball in there area most of the game and not ours .

Utv

Good post that .

Away from home where players can hide because our away followings have being put of from going ,judging by amount of goals conceded maybe not as good .

140 goals conceded in two seasons tells u he is a long way off from being the player he hopes he will be with been a stoke fan .

So work it out 46 games a season over 2 goals a game conceded with him part of the defence .

Big season for him no player who represented us last season gets cut any slack .

Id expect us concede no more than 30 goals this season as our motivation should the c the ball in there area most of the game and not ours .

Utv

:wacko:

I know little of Gunning, so just looked up his cv. By his own admission he had a "bad attitude", so much so that he " did not turn up for training". A move to Sheffield Wednesday fell through when he failed a medical and then missed a whole season with a subsequent knee injury. Seems to lack discipline and despite his age has only played 40 odd games in England. Smacks of desperation to me, possibly because of the imminent departure of Smith ?

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Good post that .

Utv

You expect us to concede no more than 30 goals this season.

Over 46 games? That won't happen.

I know little of Gunning, so just looked up his cv. By his own admission he had a "bad attitude", so much so that he " did not turn up for training". A move to Sheffield Wednesday fell through when he failed a medical and then missed a whole season with a subsequent knee injury. Seems to lack discipline and despite his age has only played 40 odd games in England. Smacks of desperation to me, possibly because of the imminent departure of Smith ?

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

He's also had over 100 appearances in the SPL. Grimsby fans are chuffed he's gone but others say he was okay and that some were biased against him for various reasons. Sam Kelly for Gavin Gunning, alright I'll take that seen as Gunning only has sit on the bench and come on and hoof the ball out the stands if Smith/Kay/Davis are unavailable.

Perhaps Brown will play 3 at the back at some point. On paper Smith, Kay and Gunning looks rock solid to me, although lacking pace. Have Pugh and De Freitas as holding midfielders, making our two wingers Harness and Montano very important players for us.

Lainton

Gunning

Smith

Kay

Pugh

De Freitas

Guy?

Montano

Harness

Pyke

Pope

Maybe Wilson is too good at player at L2 level to miss out, but it's at least another option in regards to a change of formation.

Grimsby mate tells me our signing of Gunning has caused much amusement on their website. His comment of good luck with him gives cause for concern. Seems to have the right sort of tough qualities required in league 2 if he can keep his head, something he appears to struggle to do. Still the position we are in following relegation and having a chairman who also struggles to keep his head means these are the sort of players we are forced to take a punt on.

Who gives a flying **** what other supporters say? Our signing of the likes of Sodje and Constantine were somewhat ridiculed by supporters of the clubs they played for before Vale, and we all know how those two turned out. Gunning is strong, decent in the air and has experience. He's tailor made for League Two and we couldn't realistically sign better back up.

Good post that .

Utv

So was jak Alnwick not as good as we thought as well?

And smith won the away fans player of the year, so what you say doesn't make any sense.

I know nothing of Gunning but if they're amused by us signing him, what about them signing Sam Kelly. That doesn't just amuse me, it makes my sides literally split down the middle.

Sent from my CUBOT ECHO using Tapatalk

So was jak Alnwick not as good as we thought as well?

And smith won the away fans player of the year, so what you say doesn't make any sense.

We were a collective load of rubbish m8 thats all i know .

Look at the last two home games v Sheffield Utd and Bolton the home fans up for it the players abysmal ,incapable of nothing better than mediocrity .

I only went Chesterfield so i cannot judge but we conceded hell of a lot of goals and possession .

We had no Bogies no winners i hate saying this but we r going be relying on Popey and i dont think he is up to it anymore this season .

I hope im wrong we r deep in the mire and only strong characters who r winners can pull us out .

So i hope Gunning Kay Montano and the other new arrivals have it cause we havent we r doomed to non league or very close to it

Archived