onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Performances you have seen

Fosse69

Advert

Three come to mind.

Neil Aspin's performance at Stoke in the early Nineties when Foyle scored the only goal. He was quoted as saying beforehand that he was sick and tired of hearing that Vale hadn't won at Stoke in League for fifty odd years and boy did he play like it. Absolutely no one was going to go past him that day.

Ray Walker at Leyton Orient. Bernie Slaven's debut where he was sent off for kicking someone. Walker literally took over that game, was absolutely everywhere and scored the winner.

Tom Pope at home v Cheltenham in the promotion year. As has been mentioned before, we were falling over the finish line and Cheltenham weren't a million miles behind us. Pope's hat trick couldn't have been more important as it was a crucial win which adds even more to his performance that good Friday.

Team performance would be the cup game against Everton, as for individual, I think you have to go a long way to surpass Paul Musselwhites outstanding performance away at Arsenal in the cup...

Special mention also to Neil Aspin in that match at Highbury who had a tremendous game against the team who won the double that season.

Ainsworth at Tranmere - game was nil nil but he was outstanding and got a standing ovation from both sets of fans

Simon Mills against Stoke is the stand out for me, played in central midfield when Walker was injured

Team wise I agree the 5 nil against Ipswich although there were many fine performances around 97/98

Was going to say that myself. Tranmeres full back didn't know what week it was. Vale gave galloping Gareth the ball at every opportunity and he tormented them all afternoon.

Simon Mills against Stoke is the stand out for me, played in central midfield when Walker was injured

I was just about to write that, he was magnificent that day, one of the best midfield performances I've seen from a Vale player.

Our last trip to Saltergate was up there with the best away performances I've seen. Having not won there in 25 years, we absolutely demolished them 5-0 with Craig Davies, Marc Richards and Rob Taylor tearing them apart.

Goodlad at Spurs.

Pope v Cheltenham in the promotion season. Single handedly refused to let us lose that match, and dragged us to victory. A turning point in the season.

Hughesy v Burton (7-1). Big player for the big occasion and the rest followed his lead.

Uche was superb at home to Wigan at the start of 15/16 and deservedly bagged the winner.

Last season, Callum Guy's debut at home to Bury was one of the best I've seen in years.

Brighton where we won 3-1 to gain promotion after missing out the season before, with Foyle scoring the clincher right in front of the away end :smile:

3-1 at home to Oldham in our first home game in the First Division under Rudgey, 1994 I think. We'd lost the opener 2-0 at Swindon and Oldham were bringing a very good side, having played the previous season in the Premier. Vale put it all in perspective with a great game and passing football that swept Oldham aside. It settled quite a few nerves and was the start of some of the best football we've ever seen at the Vale :smile:

Brighton where we won 3-1 to gain promotion after missing out the season before, with Foyle scoring the clincher right in front of the away end :smile:

3-1 at home to Oldham in our first home game in the First Division under Rudgey, 1994 I think. We'd lost the opener 2-0 at Swindon and Oldham were bringing a very good side, having played the previous season in the Premier. Vale put it all in perspective with a great game and passing football that swept Oldham aside. It settled quite a few nerves and was the start of some of the best football we've ever seen at the Vale :smile:

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but I thought our first home game in the first division was against WBA.

Brighton where we won 3-1 to gain promotion after missing out the season before, with Foyle scoring the clincher right in front of the away end

3-1 at home to Oldham in our first home game in the First Division under Rudgey, 1994 I think. We'd lost the opener 2-0 at Swindon and Oldham were bringing a very good side, having played the previous season in the Premier. Vale put it all in perspective with a great game and passing football that swept Oldham aside. It settled quite a few nerves and was the start of some of the best football we've ever seen at the Vale

In that Brighton game, Vale were in that big open paddock opposite the main stand (that's where I was). I remember we reportedly took around 7,000 (or am I making that up ?). Were we behind the goal as well ? Not questioning what you say, just don't remember !

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived