onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Buxton v Port Vale

robf

A rather scrappy game where most of our chances fell to the wrong blokes. Kay could have had a hat trick if the crossbar had been a couple of feet higher. Pyke took his goal really well again. The young lads who came on in the second half tried to play football but just weren't good enough to break through again. I notice when ADF was subbed he asked the bench who he should give the armband to - a number of people on here will no doubt be delighted to learn it went to Adam Yates!

I am very pleased to hear that it went to the loyal servant and hard working Adam Yates, our longest serving player.

Advert

Huff and puff game. Pretty boring stuff. Pyke looks sharp. Pope looks strong. Kay could have had a hat trick 1st half and should have hit the target with at least one of his three chances. Hope for better on Tuesday.

That's why he's played several hundred games as a defender ! Another problem with British football. We find it acceptable that defenders aren't that good on the ball. Why ? I refer you, but obviously at a much higher standard, to people like Paolo Maldini, Cafu etc etc. Players should be comfortable on the ball irrespective of what position they play.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Stand out performer for me was de fritas first half Whitehouse second half some good touches and played the ball well aswell has Tonge calmed the play down and played the right ball. second half we didn't seem to have a player who could put the ball in the net first half Pope was sluggish n looks like he's been on the **** if I'm completely honest DONT BUILD YOUR HOPES UP IF HE PLAYS LIKD HE THAT Pyke played ok but we were hoofing the ball up so didn't really play him through the channels which was disappointing. Gunning played well at left back winning headers all day long won the header for there goal but no one cleared up after. Kay looks solid but he did have 3 chances which could have been goals a header and 2 volleys should have finished in my opinion. Wilson showed promise tried to get the ball in the box no one followed up. Eardley severely lacks fitness but made an ok contribution. The be all and end all its pre season and tried tactics which did not work today we will see against Derby West Brom. But onto the next UTV!!

I thought Pugh legs had gone that last season. I must admit though I wasn't too unhappy in retaining him as I think he is a useful squad player for the dressing room and game management towards the end of matches.

I think CM is a big problem to solve for Brown. Tongue is not the answer he would be more of the same. Think we need 2 CM's into the squad for competition.

Great to see Yates back hope he can prove fitness would be another good squad player to cover RB and LB.

Can't see us signing Ardley now with Wilson would seem like a waste of a wage to me.

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

That's why he's played several hundred games as a defender ! Another problem with British football. We find it acceptable that defenders aren't that good on the ball. Why ? I refer you, but obviously at a much higher standard, to people like Paolo Maldini, Cafu etc etc. Players should be comfortable on the ball irrespective of what position they play.

Kay used be a goalscoring midfielder at Tranmere. He has scored more goals than Maldini and Cafu put together, albeit against much crapper opposition.

He was used as a midfielder for a short period of time at Tranmere, but his vast career has been as a central defender. Incidentally, Kay has scored 44 competitive goals. Maldini has scored 41 and Cafu 20. You do the maths.

Well sure if you're counting international stats. How many goals would Kay have scored if he was called up to England? :sums:

A rather scrappy game where most of our chances fell to the wrong blokes. Kay could have had a hat trick if the crossbar had been a couple of feet higher. Pyke took his goal really well again. The young lads who came on in the second half tried to play football but just weren't good enough to break through again. I notice when ADF was subbed he asked the bench who he should give the armband to - a number of people on here will no doubt be delighted to learn it went to Adam Yates!

In Italy they make the longest serving player captain, so this is a fair approach. I remember when I thought Adam Yates was a big improvement at right back - I know that was following darker times, but if he gets fit he could be competent and reliable at this level in a disciplined back four. Going forward I big time want him to stop crossing the ball from the worst place - half way between the half way line and penalty box - and only do it from the edge of the box onwards or cutting back from near the goal line. That may require dribbling!

I`m not sure why yates gets such a bad reception on here, he is a good solid league 2 defender-we have had far worse.

Agree with that Rob - he was a steady 6 to 7 out of 10 performer. Only issue us given his time out of the game is that IS or WAS, hopefully Browny will be clear on that before finalising a deal. I bet he is on less than the going rate for a squad player in League 2, and I'm sure he's a good character in the dressing room as well.

Archived