onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rangers v HMRC court case result

I visited a friend in Arbroath at the end of July and the ground is nice and neat and right on the coast. I couldn't go to their game in mid week SLC because they were away, so I got on the train, one stop north in 15 mins and went to Montrose v Alloa. They have got one nice seated stand and then standing some just open. Montrose won 2-1 and technically it was a good game and enjoyable. It was quite a bit better than I expected. I now have Montrose as my third team after 1. Port Vale and 2. Tranmere (local to me who most of my friends support).

There are lots of similar sized towns in Scotland - circa 20k to 30k. Near Arbroath is Montrose, Forfar, Brechin off the top of my head. So there is quite a lot of local rivalry available, more so than for Port Vale in league 2. At a higher level the Dundee clubs are 15 minutes south of Arbroath by train also.

I have also noted another team, like Port Vale, that does not exist geographically - Raith Rovers. It is really Kirkcaldy.

There are one or two like that. Probably the most notable is St Johnstone who are based in Perth. What is now known as Perth used to be the Scottish capital, but in those days was known as Johnstown, hence the football clubs name. Incidentally, Perth is one of my favourite places. Kirkcaldy is not !

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Also East Stirling, perhaps surprisingly, is actually in Falkirk, not Stirling. But the club's full name is East Stirlingshire, but always gets the shortened version which causes the confusion. Then there's Queen Of The South who took the nickname of the town Dumfries where they are based.

Well, thanks for the info in this and other posts above. I guess the Scots have more imagination and avoid using the city and United prefixes as well. Perhaps I am being a bit unfair to Midlands teams where excepting Stoke City the names are a bit more interesting.

I think it is great that some Scottish teams have more interestin anmes, Quen of the South, St Johnstone etc. I read that many years ago there was a merger between Clydebank and East Stirling and a team called ES Clydebank played - even though the 2 original teams were on opposite coasts many miles apart - like Vale merging with Carlisle !

South American and some other world clubs have great and interesting names too - a top club in Bolivia who compete in the Copa Libertadores (same as Champions League for SA) are called THE STRONGEST and some Argentinian clubs have names like Douglas Haig, River Plate, they have an Arsenal and Uruguay have a Liverpool. There are other Arsenals too including one in Kiev.

There are many other examples and a google search of 'strange football club names' will give you a laugh.

There is only one Port Vale though, and long may it stay.

I think it is great that some Scottish teams have more interestin anmes, Quen of the South, St Johnstone etc. I read that many years ago there was a merger between Clydebank and East Stirling and a team called ES Clydebank played - even though the 2 original teams were on opposite coasts many miles apart - like Vale merging with Carlisle !

South American and some other world clubs have great and interesting names too - a top club in Bolivia who compete in the Copa Libertadores (same as Champions League for SA) are called THE STRONGEST and some Argentinian clubs have names like Douglas Haig, River Plate, they have an Arsenal and Uruguay have a Liverpool. There are other Arsenals too including one in Kiev.

There are many other examples and a google search of 'strange football club names' will give you a laugh.

There is only one Port Vale though, and long may it stay.

Clydebank have a history of mergers. The club you refer to went into liquidation in the early 2000's and at the same time as the same happened to Airdrieonians. The two joined forces to become Airdrie Utd. They took the Airdrie name as at the time of both's liquidation, Airdrieonions were in the higher league, so could continue at their level. On humorous names, Dumbarton's old ground of Boghead Park has to be my all time favourite. It saw a midweek match there in the early 90's and it lived up to its name !

now all this had died down lets hope rangers can get back winning trophies again , it was a travesty what happened to the worlds most successful football club.

It was more a travesty for Scottish football. It has obviously been a two team league for decades (80's Aberdeen apart and Dundee Utd to an extent), but with Rangers' demise, there is no interest at all as Celtic continue to dominate. I personally, as opposed to popular opinion, think it would be good for Scottish football if Rangers & Celtic were to join the English pyramid system. At least it would be more of a level playing field and more interest as to who the champions would be. The counter argument would be that the Auld Firm fill grounds on their travels, but on inspection this is not true. Having said that, I still love my trips north of the border.

now all this had died down lets hope rangers can get back winning trophies again , it was a travesty what happened to the worlds most successful football club.

What travesty has befallen Egypt's Al Ahly (who have won 66% of their country's league titles..much higher than Rangers 47%) ?

Archived