onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale could miss out on Chris Eagles and Ryan Taylor signings

News Feed

Eagles, with a pre-season under his belt and fighting fit,could be the newest sensation to grace Vale park this season.

Totally agree. The lad has always had immense talent. If i'm honest his form for us in the last half dozen games or so suggests he will be playing at a higher level than League 2.

I hope that Michael Brown can convince him to stay but fear the worst sadly

Advert

Hypothetical I know - but would your boss be okay knowing you were actively looking for another job, even went for an interview but missed out on being appointed, only to see you back on duty to carry on as though nothing had happened?

Yes, football is different, but if I was a manager dealing with a player missing out on 'greener pasture' wanting to 'clock on' again I would be offering a contract of lesser terms - take it or leave it.

Fair question. I guess that he knows (I certainly know that anyone I manage is always "open to offer") that I would leave for more, whether that's money, progression of for ego. You are right that there is a difference to touting yourself openly and quietly "having a look around". But football is different as you say and there is little chance for a quite look with people like us following every move . I guess my view is that he hasn't said that he hates it here and can't wait to get out, just that he will keep his options open and play at the highest level. I know not everyone will agree with me, but that doesn't offend me at all.

But back to your original question, I have been for an interview, been offered a job and resigned in the past, only for my employer to offer more money and a promotion for me to stay. I did (and in hindsight was wrong to because I was blinded by money and not focussed on the real reasons that I wanted out in the first place) and we did happily carry on as if nothing had happened for another 4 years. We parted then and are still in touch and friends now. But I do agree, everything is different in business and the weird business that is football!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hypothetical I know - but would your boss be okay knowing you were actively looking for another job, even went for an interview but missed out on being appointed, only to see you back on duty to carry on as though nothing had happened?

Yes, football is different, but if I was a manager dealing with a player missing out on 'greener pasture' wanting to 'clock on' again I would be offering a contract of lesser terms - take it or leave it.

I also forgot to respond the the bottom parts of your post. That is the most important part for me and you are spot on there. If brown thinks that he will just clock on, take his money and see out his career, he is absolutely right to tell him to swing his hook. But in reality, would he have offered a contract in the first place if that was the case. I would like to think (perhaps in an innocent moment) that any player would give 100% for whoever was paying their wages at that time, vale, Accrington or Chelsea.

Fair question. I guess that he knows (I certainly know that anyone I manage is always "open to offer") that I would leave for more, whether that's money, progression of for ego. You are right that there is a difference to touting yourself openly and quietly "having a look around". But football is different as you say and there is little chance for a quite look with people like us following every move . I guess my view is that he hasn't said that he hates it here and can't wait to get out, just that he will keep his options open and play at the highest level. I know not everyone will agree with me, but that doesn't offend me at all.

But back to your original question, I have been for an interview, been offered a job and resigned in the past, only for my employer to offer more money and a promotion for me to stay. I did (and in hindsight was wrong to because I was blinded by money and not focussed on the real reasons that I wanted out in the first place) and we did happily carry on as if nothing had happened for another 4 years. We parted then and are still in touch and friends now. But I do agree, everything is different in business and the weird business that is football!

Cheers RL,

For most footballers these days it is a money rather than a career choice.

So many times it's said their footballing days are shorter than the punter who pay to see them play - these very same punters, many with families to provide for, manage to squirrel something away for those financial 'rainy days' ergo on the pelf footballers earn today they should do both with ease i.e. enjoy a good lifestyle and save for those 'rainy days'.

I also forgot to respond the the bottom parts of your post. That is the most important part for me and you are spot on there. If brown thinks that he will just clock on, take his money and see out his career, he is absolutely right to tell him to swing his hook. But in reality, would he have offered a contract in the first place if that was the case. I would like to think (perhaps in an innocent moment) that any player would give 100% for whoever was paying their wages at that time, vale, Accrington or Chelsea.

Ah! Now that for me is a different question entirely.

Hypothetical again:

Your boss gets wind you want away and is worried knowing he will struggle to find a suitable replacement. After all, you know your job inside out, have a good attendance record, rarely in sick-bay, and attend office parties from time to time.

Your boss also knows you will leave even if he offers extra pelf and a promotion but still goes through the motions you are a wanted and valued employee by offering a new deal.

Time is running out to recruit and train a new employee before the grand sale opening day.

Let's say your boss does persuade you stay but knows you're still unsettled. Sooner, rather than later, you will be parting ways.

Now I'm off for a Tiffen Treat' :yes:

Hope Chris Eagles signs, can see him putting the ball on Tom Pope's head all season long. Pity we coulldn't make him an offer he couldn't refuse but the money went to pay off Bruno's follies.

Chris Eagles could really make the difference for Vale in Lge 2.

Anyone who suggest Eagles is anything other than quality wasn't at Walsall.

Disappointed in him. Thought he'd have a bit of loyalty considering we took him off the football scrapheap, stuck with him when his performances were iffy due to fitness, and gave him the first proper first-team run he's had in years. Good player though.

Originally Posted by Paul6754 View Post

Hope Chris Eagles signs, can see him putting the ball on Tom Pope's head all season long. Pity we coulldn't make him an offer he couldn't refuse but the money went to pay off Bruno's follies.

REP Not according to Brown it didn't.

This is an interesting conversation. It is clear that Michael Brown said paying off Bruno's follies did not come out of his budget. However, was his budget reduced before he got it in order to pay off Bruno's follies? I very much doubt that our owner will tell us and I am fairly certain his Chairman and Chf Exec will be prevented from telling us. It would be good to know how the pay offs were funded. Is it another Director's loan Is it an injection of capital from our owner Is it something that came out of the overall operating budget which meant less to spend elsewhere?

If the owner's claim that he would pay for his mistake is correct then this could only be done by him injecting capital into Port Vale to pay for it, or for him to have paid it from another of his companies with nothing going through the books of Port Vale.

AS is often the case with statements and claims attributed to our Chairman, the leave us feeling less informed rather than more informed.

Originally Posted by Paul6754 View Post

REP Not according to Brown it didn't.

This is an interesting conversation. It is clear that Michael Brown said paying off Bruno's follies did not come out of his budget. However, was his budget reduced before he got it in order to pay off Bruno's follies? I very much doubt that our owner will tell us and I am fairly certain his Chairman and Chf Exec will be prevented from telling us. It would be good to know how the pay offs were funded. Is it another Director's loan Is it an injection of capital from our owner Is it something that came out of the overall operating budget which meant less to spend elsewhere?

If the owner's claim that he would pay for his mistake is correct then this could only be done by him injecting capital into Port Vale to pay for it, or for him to have paid it from another of his companies with nothing going through the books of Port Vale.

AS is often the case with statements and claims attributed to our Chairman, the leave us feeling less informed rather than more informed.

Very eloquently said, there are many ways to look at this and how it's been funded. It's usually one pot of money which is carved up at the end of the day.

However, I bet Michael Brown would love to have had some of that money available to him to be able to make offers to a few key players that they ccould not refuse. A dominant center back, a Michael O'Connor type midfied player and Chris Eagles would do very nicely.

Archived