onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The BREXIT SCAM 12 months on

FATBOYSTEVE

I think Labour have missed their chance and it might still have been a wise move for May taking a snap election even though the result did not go the way she wanted because if it had happened a couple of years down the line Labour may have gained further support and won the election. IMO when the next election takes play in 5 years time we will see that Brexit has worked out a lot better than 48% of the voters are predicting plus it will be very unlikely May will be leading the Tories in to the election and they will have a much stronger mandate to take to the people.

In 5 years? Brexit will take a generation to sort out, it won't be completed in 2 years, we'll Serb years of bilateral agreements signed (Much the relationship the EU have with Switzerland who've been signing them since 1974). In 5 years we won't be much further down the line of saying "We've left but we don't know what relationship with the EU we want". The main reason for this is it's never been done beforehand and A50 is pretty vague as a technical document, another reason which we've seen of late is the EU are willing for us to stay, imagine a change of Government if their is another GE this year that has different negotiating priorities. We will leave the EU, we won't know what it means to us fully for a decade at least.

But we could leave tomorrow on WTO terms couldn't we?

No. It's not that simple of straight forward. The WTO is very complicated for Britain, because of our own amazingly complex layers of Bureaucracy.

Advert

In 5 years? Brexit will take a generation to sort out, it won't be completed in 2 years, we'll Serb years of bilateral agreements signed (Much the relationship the EU have with Switzerland who've been signing them since 1974). In 5 years we won't be much further down the line of saying "We've left but we don't know what relationship with the EU we want". The main reason for this is it's never been done beforehand and A50 is pretty vague as a technical document, another reason which we've seen of late is the EU are willing for us to stay, imagine a change of Government if their is another GE this year that has different negotiating priorities. We will leave the EU, we won't know what it means to us fully for a decade at least.

But we could leave tomorrow on WTO terms couldn't we?

No. It's not that simple of straight forward. The WTO is very complicated for Britain, because of our own amazingly complex layers of Bureaucracy.

You could well be right but we will have a better picture of the terms of Brexit after 2 years then we will see what is and isn't working better over the coming years. Some things will be worse but a lot of things should be better, we will wait and see. I hope we start building trade agreements outside of the EU now in preparation for our exit just in case the agreement we have with the EU isn't what everyone wants.

I agree unity is needed and we need to move forward with Brexit, however against it I am. However the magnitude and scope of it is unbelievable and to think the Torys (Cameron) offered this referendum without any planning sums up their regime. Totally incompetent.

We are relying on a party that has completely divided the country to negotiate a deal for us; a party conscripted by Lords of the Realms, judges, investment bankers and so forth, have our best interests at heart?

The scariest part of Brexit is how much the UK is held to random in regards to our economy! We import more than we export and if you take a deep and detailed look you'll find the vast majority of UK businesses are foriegn owned. In fact after the US it is Germany, France (and other slips my mind) who are most heavily invested in us.

Ultimately due to the economic factors I think business owners will call the shots, corporations tax will be lowered to attract more investment and business and an increase in income tax to supplement the deficit.

I think you'll find China will become our biggest investor wether we stayed in the EU or not in the next few years.

By lowering corporation tax or at least keeping it as is will entice more companies to base themself in the UK plus by not being part of the EU some companies will choose to base themselves over here instead of another EU country if we are their biggest ctrade partner from the EU to gain free trade.

You could well be right but we will have a better picture of the terms of Brexit after 2 years then we will see what is and isn't working better over the coming years. Some things will be worse but a lot of things should be better, we will wait and see. I hope we start building trade agreements outside of the EU now in preparation for our exit just in case the agreement we have with the EU isn't what everyone wants.

And this is prettying much why Brexit is quite pointless and self harming.

We're willing to drop 53 Free Trade Agreements that the EU brings us right now and go away to negotiate far less than that, at a far less value. Our civil service at full clap probably has the capacity to negotiate and sort out maybe 2 agreements at a time, if it's a bigger one like the US probably just one. These will take years, each. Keep what you have and work from their. There is no point putting hard work in the bin to work even harder to get nowhere near it again.

I think you'll find China will become our biggest investor wether we stayed in the EU or not in the next few years.

By lowering corporation tax or at least keeping it as is will entice more companies to base themself in the UK plus by not being part of the EU some companies will choose to base themselves over here instead of another EU country if we are their biggest ctrade partner from the EU to gain free trade.

China will not be our biggest investor no matter what. Our biggest investor will likely continue to be the EU as a block. China hardly invests in developed countries. Sub-Saharan Africa, South America and South East Asia are where China looks for value. Britains Trade Policy for the last 25 years has been to allow external investment in return for giving the source nation of that investment accessible to the FTA through Britain. When we leave what are we offering?

Lowering corporation tax has worked until now. You can't keep financial services from doing to Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin like they are right now if you haven't got passporting rights.

Cupid, Bea and all of a like mind, you are wasting your efforts as there are none so blind as those who will not see, although I acknowledge I am just as frustrated and cannot help, occasionally, commenting myself!

All efforts arguing for us to stay in the EU are a waste as the argument was had before the referendum and we remainers lost.

I fully expect us to lose out over the coming decades as a result of leaving (although we'll never know what would have happened had we stayed in) and for it to take many many years for the UK to get trade agreements in place, but we're on that path now. This bickering and rerunning the argument is absolutely pointless...all us remainers had our say and I still believe we are/were right about the harm this will do but it's a waste of energy, resources etc to go over old ground.

Concentrate on getting the best we can from the path we are now on

All efforts arguing for us to stay in the EU are a waste as the argument was had before the referendum and we remainers lost.

I fully expect us to lose out over the coming decades as a result of leaving (although we'll never know what would have happened had we stayed in) and for it to take many many years for the UK to get trade agreements in place, but we're on that path now. This bickering and rerunning the argument is absolutely pointless...all us remainers had our say and I still believe we are/were right about the harm this will do but it's a waste of energy, resources etc to go over old ground.

Hear,hear.

Accept defeat and move forward together.

I've no reason to dispute the figures just cos it has an Indian source..

Top investors in the UK..

1 US

2 China

3 India

If you lump the whole EU together then it may be bigger than some or all of the above...I suspect it would make the top 3

The point of the article for me is that once outside the EU, the Uk can strike trade details with these nations. They may be better than the trade deals that the EU has with them which might mean more trade and investment in the UK but on the other hand they may be worse or the EU may go out and undercut us so that they get more trade/investment.

The only good things to come from this Brexit farce are it's ruined 2tory leaders reputations and carreers and ended two political parties UKIP and the LIBDEMS not to mention shutting up hthat Scottish tart sturgeon ALL GOOD IN MY OPINION !!

The only good things to come from this Brexit farce are it's ruined 2tory leaders reputations and carreers and ended two political parties UKIP and the LIBDEMS not to mention shutting up hthat Scottish tart sturgeon ALL GOOD IN MY OPINION !!

And Labour still can't get in? :smile::wink:

Archived