onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premier League 2017/18 Season

Fosse69

Advert

With Vale's season thankfully over, decided to take in a Premier League game today. Not a bad choice. Went to Spurs v Leicester.

I was at Packmoor at 9am watching my grandson’s under 9s team batter Kidsgrove Athletic U9s 5-1.

Credit to City for scoring over 100 goals and being the first side in the Premier League to reach a staggering 100 points, and the way they did the latter was pretty special too with such a late goal. Yes,m they've spent a ridiculous amount of money, but you still have to buy the right personnel and form a proper team, which Guardiola has done. But they need to at least reach a Champions League Final or two before they can be considered amongst the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern.

A top 4 finish and a at the minimum a Champions League final represents a fantastic season for Liverpool, even more so after losing Coutinho in January with still half of the season left and not replacing him. Van Dijk has made a big difference to the team, as will the purchase of Keita for next season, and if they can add two or three more top class players over the summer there's no reason why they shouldn't be in the mix. Salah has got the vast majority of the credit, and rightly so, but the buy of the season has to be Andrew Robinson who has been unbelievable at left-back. Great to see both Ings and Solanke score over the last couple of weeks to for different reasons.

United finished second obviously, and you can't argue with that, but at times the football under Mourinho does leave a lot to be desired and they are still a long way away from being the team that they were under Ferguson. It will be interesting to see who Arsenal go for over the summer in regards to replacing Wenger. They've been strongly linked with Allegri but could end up with Arteta, which would be pretty shocking!

Sean Dyche has to be manager of the year. He's worked wonders at Burnley. Hughton has also done fantastic for Brighton and surely has to be in the running for the England job when Southgate's time comes to an end.

Credit to City for scoring over 100 goals and being the first side in the Premier League to reach a staggering 100 points, and the way they did the latter was pretty special too with such a late goal. Yes,m they've spent a ridiculous amount of money, but you still have to buy the right personnel and form a proper team, which Guardiola has done. But they need to at least reach a Champions League Final or two before they can be considered amongst the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern.

Serious question...would you say Liverpool need to win a Premier League title before they can consider themselves amongst the likes of Man City, Man Utd and the rest? We all know what can happen in cup competitions, Greece won in 2004 at the highest level, Wigan and Portsmouth won the FA cup not too long ago..

Serious question...would you say Liverpool need to win a Premier League title before they can consider themselves amongst the likes of Man City, Man Utd and the rest? We all know what can happen in cup competitions, Greece won in 2004 at the highest level, Wigan and Portsmouth won the FA cup not too long ago..

Absolutely. I've never said anything different than the fact that Liverpool's best 11 can compete and beat any side in the world, especially at Anfield, but the drop between the first 11 and the rest of the squad bar one or two players is pretty huge in comparison to the clubs you mentioned. But it's nothing that a few more good signings, along with Keita, next season couldn't fix. An upgrade on Lovren, a top class holding midfielder and another forward that's better than Ings, and I don't see why Liverpool can't challenge on all fronts next season. But as of right now the table doesn't lie.

Liverpool will improve the squad over the summer for sure, but obviously the other top clubs will too, so much will depend on the quality of the signings.

Absolutely. I've never said anything different than the fact that Liverpool's best 11 can compete and beat any side in the world, especially at Anfield, but the drop between the first 11 and the rest of the squad bar one or two players is pretty huge in comparison to the clubs you mentioned. But it's nothing that a few more good signings, along with Keita, next season couldn't fix. An upgrade on Lovren, a top class holding midfielder and another forward that's better than Ings, and I don't see why Liverpool can't challenge on all fronts next season. But as of right now the table doesn't lie.

Liverpool will improve the squad over the summer for sure, but obviously the other top clubs will too, so much will depend on the quality of the signings.

Also, good luck to Liverpool in the final, I really didnt think they could get there but even though they are miles away from being my favourite club I'd prefer them to win it than Madrid. Hope you didnt cash out your bet :laugh:

I was in Liverpool last night (took daughter and her friend to watch something at the theatre) and I had a wander around on my own and there were plenty of Liverpool fans enjoying themselves and the atmosphere was brilliant. Shame I couldnt have a drink and join in as I had to be the taxi back.

Also, good luck to Liverpool in the final, I really didnt think they could get there but even though they are miles away from being my favourite club I'd prefer them to win it than Madrid. Hope you didnt cash out your bet :laugh:

I was in Liverpool last night (took daughter and her friend to watch something at the theatre) and I had a wander around on my own and there were plenty of Liverpool fans enjoying themselves and the atmosphere was brilliant. Shame I couldnt have a drink and join in as I had to be the taxi back.

I'm keeping my mouth shut from now on and my money well and truly stored away in my Fanny pack! :laugh:

To be honest I think Madrid's experience will see them lift the cup again. I expect plenty of goals and Liverpool will give them one hell of a game, but my head tells me it will finish 3-2 in their favour. Might be as simple as coming down to who has the better match between Ronaldo and Salah though.

But at the beginning of the season someone told me that Coutinho, who was Liverpool's best player up until Salah arrived, would leave in January and not be replaced but they would still get Champions League football and reach the final of the Champions League, beating arguably the favourites along the way, I would have taken that all day long. But I still think Man City will dominate the league for the foreseeable future.

If they play like they did against City and Roma at home they will beat Madrid. Sit off them and play like they did at Rome and against Stoke they will lose. It is their hands.

I think in Rome they just ran out of steam. First half Liverpool looked like scoring with every counter they had, but their legs went second half and they were obviously hanging on in a tie that should have been long over. To beat Madrid you need to get at and attack them, as Bayern did in the return leg in Spain when they could and should have scored 4 or 5 but weren't clinical enough.

No result would surprise me. Real could win 4-1 or Liverpool could won by a similar scoreline and I wouldn't be too surprised. But Real Madrid know what it takes in the bigger games as they have been there and done it so many times.

Congratulations to all 3 promoted sides for surviving this season.

Chris Hughton yet again goes under the media radar, whilst Huddersfield’s season has been remarkable.

Other than these outstanding achievements it has been a dull league yet again. Title won by Christmas and relegation sorted before the final day.

But of course it is the most “competitive” league in the world. If this is the case, there must be a definition of the word “competitive” that I am unaware of.

Money is filtering down to the Championship making the divisions a lot closer. The big gap now is between the Championship and Division 1 its been proven this season with the 3 relegated teams occupying the top 4 positions.

I predict 2 of the relegated teams from the Championship this season finishing in the top 4 next season and can see 2 of the promoted teams from the Championship staying up next season.

Money is filtering down to the Championship making the divisions a lot closer. The big gap now is between the Championship and Division 1 its been proven this season with the 3 relegated teams occupying the top 4 positions.

I predict 2 of the relegated teams from the Championship this season finishing in the top 4 next season and can see 2 of the promoted teams from the Championship staying up next season.

Sunderland will get £25M in parachute payments, in competition with Accrington? Time to scrap parachute payments which distort the competition. Just insert a 70/80% wage cut relegation clause in player contracts for clubs outside the top 6, would avoid them going bankrupt. Can never see it happening though, turkeys voting for Xmas.

Archived