onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premier League 2017/18 Season

Fosse69

Look, we all love football, but doesn't all this add fuel to the argument for people who don't ? When Trevor Francis got transferred for £1M in the late 70's it was a BIG thing. Jimmy Hill fought the abolishment of the maximum wage in the early 60's and Johnny Haynes became the first £100 a week player. That was big news. Nowadays, you read figures of £300,000 a WEEK and no one bats an eyelid. Are they better players than Johnny Haynes ? You decide.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

No but how many could afford his 100 per week at the time. Few why was he paid that much... to stop him going elsewhere. Nothing has really changed apart from the influx of overseas players

Sent from my F5121 using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

No but how many could afford his 100 per week at the time. Few why was he paid that much... to stop him going elsewhere. Nothing has really changed apart from the influx of overseas players

Sent from my F5121 using the onevalefan mobile app

And the ridiculous salaries. I don't feel the foreigners are at fault here. English players would gladly have accepted similar deals, if offered. The problem is, that the game is awash with money. But the club's themselves don't benefit, as all this money goes straight into the a**e pocket of players and agents. Clubs themselves are still in debt.

You have to say that Man City are looking very much the team to beat this season if Guardiola gets them playing. On paper they look fantastic.

Ederson

Walker

Kompany

Stones

Mendy

Gundogan

D. Silva

De Bruyne

B. Silva

Jesus

Aguero

Bravo

Otomendi

Kolarov

Fernandinho

Toure

Sterling

Sane

That is some side.

You have to say that Man City are looking very much the team to beat this season if Guardiola gets them playing. On paper they look fantastic.

Ederson

Walker

Kompany

Stones

Mendy

Gundogan

D. Silva

De Bruyne

B. Silva

Jesus

Aguero

Bravo

Otomendi

Kolarov

Fernandinho

Toure

Sterling

Sane

That is some side.

Defence still looks a problem. Kompany will be injured, Stones not fulfilling expectations.City won't win the title with that defence. Looks like they'll add Walker, but that doesn't help with his defensive frailities. Hardly sticking my neck out, but can't see past Chelsea again. The only interesting bit will be the fight for top four.

Kyle Walker for £50m is just crazy and stupid. There is no way he's worth that. Fair play to Daniel Levy!

What is "worth" ? Is Walker "worth" £5M? Is he "worth" £1M ? If he is, then he's as good as Trevor Francis ! Nowadays transfer fee's mean nothing at all. Years ago it was an indication of good a player you were. But no more. It's just a means of getting the required player to your team. Not an indication of how good he is. But you're right ! He's not "worth "£50M" even by today's vastly inflated fee's. At the end of the day he's a full back, not a Jimmy Greaves !

In today's market, which is ridiculous, 50 million for Walker is about right. They're buying one of the best right backs in Europe from a rival team, and at 27 a player who is at his peak over the next two or three years.

Football is broken. The prices are a complete joke now. First it was pogba at 80, he looks like an absalute bargain now with some of the prices for average players. Walker is a good player but it a disgrace at 50 million imo. Same as sigurdsen. Losing interest in the premiership fast.

In today's market, which is ridiculous, 50 million for Walker is about right. They're buying one of the best right backs in Europe from a rival team, and at 27 a player who is at his peak over the next two or three years.

Walker doubles his wages to £150,000 a week as well.

Liverpool set to sign left-back Andy Robertson over the weekend from relegated Hull City for a fee of £8m.Lucas to move to Lazio for £5m.

England won the under 19 Euro Championship, won the under 20 World Championship and reached the semi final of the Euro under 21 Championship this Summer. It looks like the FA investment in facilities and coaching is reaping rewards. But these players need to be exposed to regular top level football in the Premier League or abroad if clubs and country at senior level are to get the maximum benefit as early as possible and to see if a really great player can emerge from a good pack.

Football is broken. The prices are a complete joke now. First it was pogba at 80, he looks like an absalute bargain now with some of the prices for average players. Walker is a good player but it a disgrace at 50 million imo. Same as sigurdsen. Losing interest in the premiership fast.

It's market forces combined with ego, the desire to make money whatever the cost and at times stupidity/incompetence. I'd not be at all surprised if chairman/owners like having their ego massaged by boasting about how much they have spent and so on...trying to out do each other. To get to such a position you usually have to be such a person.

England won the under 19 Euro Championship, won the under 20 World Championship and reached the semi final of the Euro under 21 Championship this Summer. It looks like the FA investment in facilities and coaching is reaping rewards. But these players need to be exposed to regular top level football in the Premier League or abroad if clubs and country at senior level are to get the maximum benefit as early as possible and to see if a really great player can emerge from a good pack.

This is where we are going wrong,we hardly give our young players any experience in the PL.When our U21's lost to Germany in the final a few weeks ago our players had played a total of 206 games in the PL,compared to the Germans 1137 in the Bundesliga.

This is where we are going wrong,we hardly give our young players any experience in the PL.When our U21's lost to Germany in the final a few weeks ago our players had played a total of 206 games in the PL,compared to the Germans 1137 in the Bundesliga.

Been saying this for some time, especially those players with the top clubs thay don't appear to have a prayer of getting experience of European Club Football.

Archived