onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best non-Vale player to Play at Vale Park in a League Game.

Paul6754

The best is easily Sir Stanley Matthews. I can't believe this is even a thread. He was the Greatest Footballer of all time and I can't believe people are throwing in average joes in comparison like Robbie Keane etc.

Obviously very few saw the 1954 FA cup game v Blackpool but my Grandad did and it was like a homecoming of perhaps Bale playing against Cardiff proportions.

The greatest footballer of all time think you are a bit over the top there.

Advert

The best is easily Sir Stanley Matthews. I can't believe this is even a thread. He was the Greatest Footballer of all time and I can't believe people are throwing in average joes in comparison like Robbie Keane etc.

Obviously very few saw the 1954 FA cup game v Blackpool but my Grandad did and it was like a homecoming of perhaps Bale playing against Cardiff proportions.

More than a few, 42,000 from memory, but most have moved on, he did not do a lot that day, man marked by Dicky Cunliffe and forced towards the heavy ground (mud) in the middle. Of course Blackpool`s come back from 3-1 down in the Cup Final was in everyone`s mind so nobody believed it until the ref blew his whistle.

Didn't Peter Shilton play here for Derby in a cup match?

Gary McAllister played well and ruined our evening with that last minute free kick for Leeds in a cup replay.

We also played Czechoslovakia in a friendly in 1961. They must have had a few good 'uns as they finished runners up to Brazil in the 62 World Cup. We lost that game 1-3.

Yes, and the replay.

soz about that phil just remember going scunny unbeaten 16 or 18 games the keeper played a blinder got beat 2 1 and same at home I think only team do the double

Their keeper was Geoff Barnard, Clemence had left 2 years earlier.

I remember playing a midweek game against Peterborough in the early 80s. They ran us ragged, beat us 3-1 and David Gregory was brilliant. Some Peterborough fans were sitting near us in the Railway. As they got up to leave at the end of the game one of them said "Thanks for the use of your pitch, Vale"!

I remember playing a midweek game against Peterborough in the early 80s. They ran us ragged, beat us 3-1 and David Gregory was brilliant. Some Peterborough fans were sitting near us in the Railway. As they got up to leave at the end of the game one of them said "Thanks for the use of your pitch, Vale"!

The game you refer to I think was in 1975. Posh did indeed win at Vale as you say 3-1 and gregory scored twice. They also won 3-1 at Vale in 1981, but Gregory was then at Pompey. Time plays tricks on your mind ! Incidentally, he also scored for peterborough in the 4th round of the FA Cup against Stafford also in1975 at the Victoria Ground in front of over 30,000 fans. Yes 30,000. Hard to believe now. Posh won 2-1 and Stafford's scorer was no other than Mick Cullerton ! One of the few Saturday night games I've attended.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

More than a few, 42,000 from memory, but most have moved on, he did not do a lot that day, man marked by Dicky Cunliffe and forced towards the heavy ground (mud) in the middle. Of course Blackpool`s come back from 3-1 down in the Cup Final was in everyone`s mind so nobody believed it until the ref blew his whistle.

Always wondered why it was dubbed "The Matthews Final" when Stan Mortensen scored a hat trick !

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived