onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Views needed: Ultimate left-back contenders

robf

Clever points above!

Maybe we ought to go for the old 2.3.5 formation and stick him in as left half!!

However, though on paper there might been 'better' players than Roy, who went on to play for their country, I'd always have the great man in my best ever Vale XI for the myriad of reasons you supply above. I'm happy to have him as centre back in my XI.

Back on thread, I think I'd go with Tankard. Didn't ever see Desperate Dan Potts.

Advert

Clever points above!

Maybe we ought to go for the old 2.3.5 formation and stick him in as left half!!

However, though on paper there might been 'better' players than Roy, who went on to play for their country, I'd always have the great man in my best ever Vale XI for the myriad of reasons you supply above. I'm happy to have him as centre back in my XI.

Back on thread, I think I'd go with Tankard. Didn't ever see Desperate Dan Potts.

Whilst I take everyone's points about Ronnie Wilson, he would have been an absolute hero (as he was mine !) in a Vale shirt today. Tenacious with a gaucho moustache and a 9" parting ! As I recall he only left Vale to move abroad to warmer climes for the health of his sick son. With the lack of quality options I think he is a must for the list.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Whilst I take everyone's points about Ronnie Wilson, he would have been an absolute hero (as he was mine !) in a Vale shirt today. Tenacious with a gaucho moustache and a 9" parting ! As I recall he only left Vale to move abroad to warmer climes for the health of his sick son. With the lack of quality options I think he is a must for the list.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

No argument, Ron Wilson was very popular, he was short, stocky, had a powerful left foot, a real Zapatta moustache, and although he did not score many (he was a full back after all) when he scored it tended to be a long range strike that was very spectacular.

Given the recent article in the Sentinel about Vale developing a relationship with Stoke, Ron Wilson is one of those former Stoke players who is absolutely loved at the Vale. A good whole hearted player who has Stoke connections will be welcomed at Vale as long as they continue to give their all, Ron Wilson definitely fitted into this category.

I always liked Ron Wilson with his Fu Manchu moustache but I think Tankard was more technically proficient. Remember Wilson scoring a blinder against Brentford from a fair way out and the ball getting stuck behind the goal stanchion at the Hamil End.

I'm sure tankard did the same in front of the bycars.

It has to be Tankard from the modern era. If we're honest I don't think we've ever got near anyone half as good since he retired at the end of the LDV win season 2001? Which speaks volumes for him but not much for Vale as a team since!:ohmy: Others have threatened with the odd good performance/started well but no real consistency in that position.

Archived