onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Views needed: Ultimate left-back contenders

robf

Hi all,

This is where I may need some help. I want to draw up a short-list of best-ever left-backs and so far I have:

Hughes, Bromage and Tankard (from players I have seen)

Reg Potts (from the Steele Curtain era)

Are there any other players that I should perhaps consider? Just a reminder that:

a) they need to have played at least 50 games

b) they need to be good (so no nominations for Wayne Ebanks please)

Also, I am doing the formation in a fairly modern 4-4-2 which means that someone like Roy Sproson (a left-half) I am classing in the centre-halves section. Not sure if that is correct as the 50's formation confuses me a little but I think it's generally accepted he would be a left-sided centre-half if he was playing in the modern game. Please correct me on that if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Rob

Advert

Stan Turner...

Barry that's a very important point. I must confess I am not sure which sides Turner and Potts played in 53-54. I read on a newspaper clipping that Potts was left-back (hence my post above) but was it actually Turner who was LB? Thanks!

Barry that's a very important point. I must confess I am not sure which sides Turner and Potts played in 53-54. I read on a newspaper clipping that Potts was left-back (hence my post above) but was it actually Turner who was LB? Thanks!

I wasn't around then, but I am sure Turner was right back and Potts left back.

Turner always wore No 2 didn't he? The team was always listed as King, Turner, Potts .....

At this stage I think Rob is only looking for nominations to put in the list. Ron Wilson has already been mentioned and I definitely include him. I would also include John Ritchie, who operated in both left back positions, he was sold for a big fee to Preston after little more than a season.

We also need to decide what is Roy Sproson's position. Clearly he has to be in a team of Vale's best ever XI and I would put him in as a nominee at left back, which leaves the central defender slots open for people like Ant Gardner, Bill McGarry, Terry Alcock, Tommy Cheadle, John Nicholson Neil Aspin, Dean Glover, Phil Sproson, Roy Cross, Michael Walsh, Saggi Burton, Sam Collins, to mention just a few. Two of these players went on to play for England, that is a measure of the quality here.

So, with a view to the huge number of centre back candidates it makes perfect sense to me for Roy Sproson so slot in at left back. That was also the position he occupied when I saw my first game in 1961.

Archived