94 members have voted

1. 1. Ultimate Port Vale goalkeeper?

• Ray King
    • Ken Hancock
    • Mark Grew
    • Paul Musselwhite
    • Mark Goodlad
    • Chris Neal

This links in with our feature which is here - http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2017/06/ultimate-port-vale-xi-the-goalkeeper/

OVF you wants to vote for each position in an ultimate Port Vale XI.

Rules:

1. This thread will have a poll attached containing the list of our shortlisted players. This makes it fair (one user one vote) and stops any outside influences (Stoke fans, we're looking at you!) from trying to influence the poll as only registered forum users can vote.

2. OVF will provide a shortlist of players that we think are suitable candidates. However, if we have missed a candidate out and you make a compelling case for their inclusion PM robf and if agreed he will add them to the poll.

3. A player will appear in their most common position (e.g. Neil Aspin played right-back but is more familiar as a centre-half; Robbie Earle played as a striker but is best-known as a midfielder)

4. The formation for the best-ever XI is a classic 4-4-2 formation

5. A player must have played 50 first-team games for the Valiants to qualify

The Shortlist:

Remember you can PM robf if you think we've missed a candidate out!

Ray King: The goalkeeper in the famed 1953-54 side, he was capped by England "B" and kept 29 cleansheets during the "Steele Curtain" season.

Ken Hancock: Hancock made over 200 appearances between 1958 and 1962 and later went on to play in the top-flight for Ipswich Town and Tottenham Hotspur.

Mark Grew: A long-serving figure both on and off the pitch, Grew is one of only a handful of players to be named Player of the Year twice. He also helped the club to promotion in 1989.

Paul Musselwhite: The regular keeper during much of John Rudge's reign, Mussy was not only the club's most-expensive goalkeeping signing, but he also holds the club record goalkeeping appearances as well as promotion and Autoglass Trophy final medals.

Mark Goodlad: If it were not for injury, the goalkeeper would surely have made more than the 244 appearances he managed. He was the keeper in the LDV Vans Trophy final winning side.

Chris Neal: Undoubtedly the best goalkeeper since Mark Goodlad, Neal has been a model of consistency since signing in 2012. A key member of the 2012-13 promotion side.

Advert

Yes this is always interesting, but inevitably different generations will vote based on what they see. The more recent players will come to the fore with the generation brought up on social media. If I had only watched Vale for the last 20 years then Mark Goodlad is a shoe in at Keeper. However I have watched Vale for over 50 years which means Ken Hancock takes the accolade. However, I never saw Ray King. Based on his record you would have to say that King is the best ever keeper.

However this is always a nice pleasant summer time activity. I would expect most of the players for the final 11 to come from the Rudge era though.

Went for Goodlad as he is the best goalkeeper I've seen for Port Vale in over 30 years of following them but I would guess for their era King and Hancock would be the greatest.

Also Micky Stowell who we had on loan during Rudgies days was an excellent goalie

Although on loan Neville Southall must be one of the best goalies to put on a Vale shirt and went on to play nearly 400 games for Wolves.

Yes this is always interesting, but inevitably different generations will vote based on what they see. The more recent players will come to the fore with the generation brought up on social media. If I had only watched Vale for the last 20 years then Mark Goodlad is a shoe in at Keeper. However I have watched Vale for over 50 years which means Ken Hancock takes the accolade. However, I never saw Ray King. Based on his record you would have to say that King is the best ever keeper.

However this is always a nice pleasant summer time activity. I would expect most of the players for the final 11 to come from the Rudge era though.

Thanks. It's not a definitive vote and you're right... I went for Goodlad who I saw but I am sure King was something special (as was Hancock for that matter).

With not much news coming through I also thought it would be a nice diversion from people complaining about things :wink:

Agree with Essex Vale.

These things are a bit of fun and as Rob says a welcome diversion from the stoked up passions of the election threads!

But I suppose the reality really is that the 53-54 team would take some beating, individually and collectively. To achieve what they did was remarkable. Rudgie's best would push them but records show that King was perhaps our best ever. Didn't see him, sadly, so Hancock for me but it depends when you were born and how long you've been going 'up the Vale.'

Archived