Subs

Stuart Sharatt

Russel Bromage

Brian Horton

Robbie Earle

Roy Chapman

Tony Richards

Bert Llewellyn

It's worth remembering that Guppy got a lot of stick from the Vale boo-boys, at one time! - moaned he couldn't cross e ball!!!

For my money, it was McCarthy, too, just ahead of Guppy and Ainsworth!

I was torn with this one myself. I came to the conclusion that McCarthy was a better all round player but enjoyed watching Ainsworth never say die attitude.

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

Goodlad, Hill, Gardner, Aspin, Tankard, Ainsworth, Taylor, Earle, Guppy, Jones, Naylor.

Very subjective, but Earle & Taylor edge out Walker for their goals if nothing else. Also difficult to leave out Glover, but Gardner proved himself at top level. If younger fans haven't seen Guppy and Naylor play for Vale, get hold of the dvd of the 90's cup replay defeat of holders Everton. The best performance (bearing in mind the opposition) I've seen in 55 years watching Vale.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Mussy

Tankard, Aspin, Glover Yates

Guppy Bogie MBW McCarthy

Foyle McPhee

You've obviously followed Vale since the 90s glory days, so I'm asking this as I'm just intruiged (/baffled!).........is Yates a friend/customer/someone you know as part of your job?! (golf-related, isn't it?)

Great thread, so enjoyable going over the names of so many great players who have graced the Vale shirt.

Here's my eleven, dominated by the days of Rudge - the best era of play in my lifetime:

Hancock

Mills Aspin Glover Tankard

McCarthy Earle Taylor Guppy

Foyle Naylor

Subs: Mussy, Hill, Roy Sproson, Walker, Van Der Laan, Andy Jones, Bernie Slaven

Can't believe I've had to leave so many out. It just shows how great we've been in the past but we'll be back. Just a fraction of similar players to these in the spine of our team and we'll be OK.

I'll try and pick out my favourites but not necessarily the best players I've seen.

1. Sharratt. Career sadly cut short by injury but my old PE teacher.

2. Boulton. Goal scoring right back.

3. Wilson. The Sancho Panza of full backs and once scored a 40 yard wonder goal.

4. Earle. Won't be forgotten for his goal v BR.

5. Roy Sproson. Needs no further comment.

6. Bob Hazell. My kind of player.

7. Tommy Mclaren.

8. Van der Lann, if only for a good sing song.

9. Martin Foyle.

10. Andy Jones.

11. John James. Another who would run through a brick wall for the Vale.

Can I have 3 teams? It's impossible!

Interesting to see that virtually everyone who has offered their opinion on best X1 has included Steve Guppy. And rightly so ! A winger in the traditional sense and a fantastic crosser of a ball. At the time all the media talked about England's " left side problem" and the answer was staring them in the face ! Fantastic player ! Anyone in doubt watch his performance against Everton in the 90's cup replay. I never tire of watching that match video.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived